Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Track-prepped Ft-86

Norfolk n Chance

The Toyota FT-86 concept represents for many Toyota fans a return to what made the brand great: simple, low-cost, fun-to-drive and stylish cars like the Celica, MR2 and AE86 Corolla. Somewhere along the way the fun-to-drive part, at least, was lost. But the latest reports hint that Toyota may be going all-out for their return to sports cars.

A stripped down, stiffened and big-braked version of the FT-86 could be on the table, to start as low as $22,000, according to a report extracted from EVO magazine. That would put the FT-86 track version right on par with the Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec, itself a somewhat de-contented and performance-oriented inexpensive rear-driver.

The stripper FT-86 will also be promoted by participation in pro drifting competition, according to the report. That, again, is like Hyundai's promotion for the Genesis Coupe, and perhaps indicates that Toyota is aiming to go fully heads-up against the Korean competition.

So far what we know about the FT-86 is that officially it will be a 2 + 2 coupe with rear-wheel drive, a 2.0-liter naturally aspirated flat four cylinder built in cooperation with Fuji Heavy Industries/Subaru, and a six-speed manual transmission. Power output is expected to come in somewhere around the 200 horsepower mark, though without a factory turbocharger like the Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec, the FT-86 may miss out on some aftermarket modification potential.

Sales of the FT-86's production counterpart are expected to start in late 2011 in Japan, followed within a few months in America. Pricing is expected to sit around $25,000 for a typical example.

Article from here Clicky no pics as yet but if true it means Toyota is finally returning to producing "interesting" cars!! :yahoo:

Lets get the standard car on sale in the UK 1st :lol:

I really need to get a job sorted so i can start saving for one of these!! :(

:lol:

:lol: you could always sell the Apexi???... you'd be a little closer to being able to get an FT-86..... :P ;)

That's a good point... if there's no A'PEXi for the FT-86 i may not change..... :P :lol:

That article made me laugh.... selling the car from about $25,000 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it reaches this country it will be closer to £25,000.... BLOODY RIP OFF :angry:

That's a good point... if there's no A'PEXi for the FT-86 i may not change..... :P :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You could go GREEN!

I don't think anyone else here has one! :P

• 1 month later...

We all know though that "less costs more"

BMW charged an extra £20k over the price of the regular M3 for the CSL, whick only had about 6 more HP and 4 more torques, but no radio or aircon (unless you decided you wanted it, in which case you had to pay even more to have it put back it)

Porsche did much the same with the GT3 RS.

Still the fact that Toyota have even hinted at such a thing shows a step in the right dorection! Performance targeted correct wheel drive FTW!

• 2 months later...

Its stunning although the 200BHP is a bit of a let down unless a turbo model is in the pipeline

I think there is one though... :huh: :) Not been announced yet but IIRC they were hinting at the idea...

Well the starting cost of the FT-86 looks set to rise as the Subaru engine isn't economical enough for Toyota so they're making tweaks to it....

oh and it's going to be aimed at the 40+ age bracket due to some market research which i can only assume was carried out by people that haven't even looked at the FT-86 and have gone with Toyota's "old person" image mad.gif

Well the starting cost of the FT-86 looks set to rise as the Subaru engine isn't economical enough for Toyota so they're making tweaks to it....

oh and it's going to be aimed at the 40+ age bracket due to some market research which i can only assume was carried out by people that haven't even looked at the FT-86 and have gone with Toyota's "old person" image mad.gif

And now it all begins to fall apart...

Sorry for the negativity, but I can just see how this is going to be.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links