Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.2d-4d

delboy85

I bought a 57 plate Avensis 2.2D-4D 12 months ago with 8000 miles on the clock. I recently experienced a lack of power and the VSC/TRC lights came on. I took the car to the Toyota agents and they have decided to renew the injectors, a gas valve and the turbo at a cost of £5000. The car is still under warranty but has only done a little under 20,000 miles. The warranty expires at the end of the year so I am thinking is it time to be rid of it. My opinion on Toyota reliability has taken a big dive especialy since I have been advised by a Toyota mechanic that it has been a common fault on vehicles after 15000 miles. :censor:

Thanks for the post but how common is the problem; did the mechanic mean 1 in 10 2.2d engined Toyotas have failing turbos and injectors or 1 in 100?

What was the exact problem - did the faulty injectors cause the turbo failure? I'm guessing the gas valve was the EGR valve; a common failure part on all engines using aEGR emission system - not just Toyota.

Maybe this forum could start a poll of 2.2d owners - not just Avensis - to see how many have (or haven't) experienced this problem.

Sorry for another question but ... did you have any warning of a problem before the warning lights - more smoke or noise from the engine for example?

Hopefully you can relax now as the problem has been sorted

Thanks for the post but how common is the problem; did the mechanic mean 1 in 10 2.2d engined Toyotas have failing turbos and injectors or 1 in 100?

What was the exact problem - did the faulty injectors cause the turbo failure? I'm guessing the gas valve was the EGR valve; a common failure part on all engines using aEGR emission system - not just Toyota.

Maybe this forum could start a poll of 2.2d owners - not just Avensis - to see how many have (or haven't) experienced this problem.

Sorry for another question but ... did you have any warning of a problem before the warning lights - more smoke or noise from the engine for example?

Hopefully you can relax now as the problem has been sorted

I had no prior warning and yes hopefully I will be able to relax in about a weeks time as it is taking that long to obtain the parts. I would relax even more if I could believe that the problem would not return some time after the warranty runs out.

• 5 months later...

Yeh i have had the same problem. I have had 2 d4d 2.2's and one had a head gasket problem, dealers were not interested although it was a common problem and the secret 100k warranty should have kicked in but didntso i gopt rid as i was quoted over 4k to do the work and also the other had an injector and egr valve problem, smoking and loss of power. Dealers changed these parts but charged over £1k to do the work. The 1st 1 was a 55reg and the 2nd a 56 plate. Both had done well under 80k miles.

Now i have another 55reg and its not starting. thought it was a batterty fault so replaced that, still no joy. Done the diagnostics and it comes up with an error code p200, or p0200 injector circuit open or malfunction. I am completely lost and do not know why this has happened. spoke to the dealers, gave them the fault code and even they do not know what the problem is.

Can anyone help please?

sorry

apparently i have that kind of problem

same (the same plus the engine one) failure leds, but a dianostic cable+softwares report to me only a pre-heating problem

did you solve the power problem with injector+turbo change? :(

my english is a BIT poor and i cannot understand all was sayed here :(

my thread is here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112372

with a loooong list of changed parts

thanks in advance for every suggestion, in the hope to solve that problem

regards

(was not a problem in the warranty period.... in a service center)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links