Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris , How Much To Fill Tank

ItalianStig

Ive got a 2001 yaris GS 1.0 liter, but I have not got the chance to fill the tank in it, just wondering if anyone would know how much pounds it takes to fill the tank?

Its a 45 litre tank on the Mk1 Yaris. If it was completely empty, then at £1.08 per litre, it would cost £48.60

Typically though, you'll fill up soon after the fuel guage starts flashing which is approximately 7 litres left, so you'd only put in 38 litres and that would cost £41...

Of the 193 times I filled the tank of our 1.0 Yaris, from 2000 - 2008, the average that we put in was 33.5 litres and at today's prices that would cost £36 each time....

It also depends on whether you wish to use ordinary unleaded or high octaine unleaded. I use high octaine unleaded and fill up when the fuel indicator starts flashing at me (when you have one bar of fuel) and it usually costs me in the region of £45

I just stuck in 36 litres of V-Power diesel, cost me just over £42 :thumbsup:

I think there is something wrong with the gauge on mine tho' as it had started blinking!! :eek:

Depends how empty or full the tank is and how much a litre petrol is today.

Its £1.14 a litre here at the moment, times that by 45 litres and you have your answer :thumbsup:

I use ordinary Shell diesel at £1.10 per litre and average about £35 a fill up . And 57mpg - but not in this very cold weather..

In my view V Power is a marketing con...

I think there is something wrong with the gauge on mine tho' as it had started blinking!! :eek:

thanks all guys, but thats interesting what you say about the 7 liters left as my driving instuctor says it 4 liters left when it flashs but i guess i will take your word for it since you guys probaly know more being on the toyota forum and all that, so yeah cheers guys

Filled mine last week, cost me £38. That's about what i allways put in but i never really leave it too long on one flashing bar.

I usually fill mine up with Shell V power if I can and it costs me about £45. I also use injector cleaner regularly.

Unless you're driving in start-stop traffic 90% of the time the injector+v-power is probably overkill :lol:

I usually use regular diesel, and drop in some v-power every 4th fill just to try and clear out the crud (I don't do much motorway driving and I was experiencing a power loss. Solutions given here were injector cleaner, v-power or motorway blast :P)

I must say that the engine runs a lot more smoothly with the V-Power stuff, and it starts a lot more readily during these freezing days! It is a bit too pricey for me to use exclusively tho'...

But yeah, they Yaris fuel gauge is probably the most inaccurate one I've seen... below 50% it fluctuates quite wildly. Parking on a cambered road or slight incline can be the difference between 3 bars or two! :lol:

And the instructor is right - Generally the low-point leaves 4-5L or so of reserve fuel, but because the Yaris' gauge is so off it's not unusual to have anything under 10L!

I once did 100miles on the one-bar blinker in my D4D before I chickened out :lol:

It may well be overkill but better that than having an engine choked up and poor fuel economy non?

I disagree, personally. I think the fuel indicator is very accurate. Whenever the one bar flashes at me and I fill up it is always in the region of £40-£45 depending on the price of V power or any other premium fuel at the time.

It may well be overkill but better that than having an engine choked up and poor fuel economy non?

I disagree, personally. I think the fuel indicator is very accurate. Whenever the one bar flashes at me and I fill up it is always in the region of £40-£45 depending on the price of V power or any other premium fuel at the time.

Not sure if I am a noob of what but correct me if I am wrong , ok..........my yaris takes unleaded, is there different types of unleaded you can buy from the garage such as V-Power if so wheres the benifit guys, I would like to learn more about this.

@ Raeman - Really like your alloy wheels in the avatar would they fit a 2001 yaris and where you get them and for how much?

Cheers

There are two main "differences" between V-Power and "ordinary" fuel...

Firstly it contains more "additives" that clean the injectors, etc and secondly the fuel has a higher "octane" rating that MAY allow some cars to run better or give better economy.

The issue is that it depends upon the sophistication of the engine management system as to whether a particular car can benefit from the extra "octane" in the fuel - and the results vary from model to model...

(For the engineers amongst us - you have to advance the ignition timing to gain benefit from higher octane fuels otherwise the extra "power" within the fuel just goes to waste. You need an engine management system that has "knock sensors" and automatically advances and adjusts the igntion timing based on feedback from the knock sensors...)

In a nutshell, if you haven't a car with such an ignition system, putting a tankful through now and then will help cleanse the fuel system, especially the injectors - but you're paying about an extra 6% for the priviledge.

Some may feel that their cars are running better using it and if they're happy paying an extra £3 per tankful for that, then great.

I had an Alfa 156 and it V-Power was more economical on a motorway journey but it made no difference around town....

I've tried the V-Power diesel in my Audi A3 for about six months. It was slightly more economical but not enough to offset the extra cost, so I gave up....

I tried it in our 1.0 Yaris and (as expected) it made no difference as the car wasn't designed with a sophisticated engine management system to take advantage of it...

So you pay's your money and you take's your choice....

Unless the tech guys tell me that I've underestimated the Yaris engine management system, then the benefit of regular use of V-Power in the Yaris is probably mainly psycological.

Really like your alloy wheels in the avatar would they fit a 2001 yaris and where you get them and for how much?

Cheers

Standard SR Wheels, should be able to pick them up off eBay for a reasonable price. :)

There are two main "differences" between V-Power and "ordinary" fuel...

Firstly it contains more "additives" that clean the injectors, etc and secondly the fuel has a higher "octane" rating that MAY allow some cars to run better or give better economy.

The issue is that it depends upon the sophistication of the engine management system as to whether a particular car can benefit from the extra "octane" in the fuel - and the results vary from model to model...

(For the engineers amongst us - you have to advance the ignition timing to gain benefit from higher octane fuels otherwise the extra "power" within the fuel just goes to waste. You need an engine management system that has "knock sensors" and automatically advances and adjusts the igntion timing based on feedback from the knock sensors...)

In a nutshell, if you haven't a car with such an ignition system, putting a tankful through now and then will help cleanse the fuel system, especially the injectors - but you're paying about an extra 6% for the priviledge.

Some may feel that their cars are running better using it and if they're happy paying an extra £3 per tankful for that, then great.

I had an Alfa 156 and it V-Power was more economical on a motorway journey but it made no difference around town....

I've tried the V-Power diesel in my Audi A3 for about six months. It was slightly more economical but not enough to offset the extra cost, so I gave up....

I tried it in our 1.0 Yaris and (as expected) it made no difference as the car wasn't designed with a sophisticated engine management system to take advantage of it...

So you pay's your money and you take's your choice....

Unless the tech guys tell me that I've underestimated the Yaris engine management system, then the benefit of regular use of V-Power in the Yaris is probably mainly psycological.

So taking that I am just a normal driver with a yaris , getting the V-power would have a placbo effect more than an actual effect seeing as the yaris engine isnt designed to use it and probaly wouldnt benifit due to the ignition system. In a nut Shell normal unleaded will do me?

I'm happy with the placebo effect! It doesn't do my engine any harm and surely the additives in the fuel helps the engine?

I'm happy with the placebo effect! It doesn't do my engine any harm and surely the additives in the fuel helps the engine?

I mean it all depends on the owner , I would probaly also be happy getting V-power but circumstances wont allow me for what it does as I am a student and cant afford the extra money for it if it doesnt improve the economy that much with the type of model I have.

However that said I have not yet noticed the economy in my yaris yet as I havent passed my test yet but cant wait to see how she gets on , I am expecting around 40-45 Mpg is that too much? given that I am a normal driver and dont accelerate harshally

You're a student... You can't afford a couple of quid extra every time you fill up, you bought a Yaris presumably and you haven't yet passed your driving test?

I wouldn't worry too much; Petrol engines are far less prone to injector crud build up so the cleaning effect of stuff like V-Power isn't as useful. Obviously they won't be as clean as CRPR's (I bet his injectors and cylinders are cleaner than the car itself! :lol: ), but they'll do the job :)

If you chip it, the higher octane levels might be useful, but in a stock petrol Yaris you'll be okay with regular unleaded.

On a slight tangent, anyone got any recommendations for fuel price comparison sites? I think that'd be quite helpful for our student OP too :)

I'll bear that in mind then but I'm quite happy with Shell V power. The car doesn't complain and maybe it is the placebo effect but I'm happy with it and swear there is a slight difference in performance and handling than if I were to use ordinary unleaded.

I'd recommend subscribing to petrolprices.com they give you a list of prices of the garages in a certain radius and display the nearest and cheapest.

cheers guys, I will look the website up and yeah thanks I think I will stick to normal unleaded for now

It also depends on whether you wish to use ordinary unleaded or high octaine unleaded. I use high octaine unleaded and fill up when the fuel indicator starts flashing at me (when you have one bar of fuel) and it usually costs me in the region of £45
Yaris engines including the 1.5 T-Sport consistently gets me 2mpg less on high octane unleaded meaning performance is down. I did this test for about 3 months on the same journey to work (I use my other car for other trips) at about the same temperature and my results are consistent 41-42mpg on normal and 38-39 on premium. I have checked my MPG calculations manually though they are always spot on to one decimal place :o .
I'll bear that in mind then but I'm quite happy with Shell V power. The car doesn't complain and maybe it is the placebo effect but I'm happy with it and swear there is a slight difference in performance and handling than if I were to use ordinary unleaded.
(Whoops did not see a page two). Yeah you are experiencing placebo for sure. I actually felt the car was slow on performance fuel but put it down to placebo. The mpg test is the only accurate one more so than a dyno. More mpg the faster the car is and normal fuel is faster.