Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Definitive 2.2 D4d Head Gasket Stance By Toyota

robvensis

mileage & date of registration? You may still be covered.

Mr.T says no. 118k miles and they want £1648 to replace the head gasket with no guarantee due to not knowing the condition of the engine block.

• 2 months later...

Just an update,

I have continued to use my Avensis up until now and it has kept running, but due to having to fill it with water every day I can't really put antifreeze in it. So today I went out and bought a 2 yr old Ford Focus. The Avensis sits on my drive until I decide what to do with it. A real shame but at the end of the day I can't justify spending about £3k on a repair to a car which could fail again in a short time.

Colin.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Old topic I know, but been having coolant problems for a while now. Runs absolutely fine but keep dumping the coolant.

Took it to garage and they did a pressure test on the system, no problems found. Then they did a 'block test' and told me the head gasket was the problem.

It had a new engine at 51k and now done 127k.

Now in a dilemma of whether to shop it in, or have the gasket replaced. Been quoted from two places around £850 for new gasket and skim, but wondering if this will definitely solve the problem?

No other issues other than the coolant leak, not sure if there'd be any other signs of the gasket being at fault?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

Quick question which i cant seem to find the answer to. Did the head gasket affect the 2009 Avensis 2.2 D4D? the new shape model?

The head gasket/oil consumption issue affected Avensis engines built up to and including February 2009 - see 

As far as I'm aware the 2009 Avensis went on sale in January 2009

So if mine was registered in November 2009 but set up on 02/01/2009 then i'm guessing my car is included in this issue? I've not bought the car yet but was considering it. It has 140k miles on the clock... 

If it was built before February 2009, then yes it would be in scope of the problem.

It would also be outside the goodwill assistance (based on its mileage) that Toyota provided to correct the issue (7 years or 111,846 miles, whichever occurred first)

gutted - it was such a nice car to drive.

I was also told that clutch/flywheel replacement costs were ridiculous too... looks like i may not be joining the toyota owners club :-( 

2 hours ago, fahafiz said:

gutted - it was such a nice car to drive.

I was also told that clutch/flywheel replacement costs were ridiculous too... looks like i may not be joining the toyota owners club :-( 

Only a very small % actually develop the issue & by 2009 it would have already have had some (but maybe not all) of the modified parts fitted. If it was registered in November 2009 do you know that it was actually produced on 02/01/2009?

Clutch/flywheel replacement costs are similar to it's competitors. Tbh clutch problems are not much of an issue afaik.

Any common rail turbodiesel at 140k potentially may have issues unless parts have already been replaced (DPF, injectors etc. etc.) - they are not the simple, essentially bomb proof diesels of old. :dry:

looking at the car details, it was "setup" on the 02/01/2009 - i'm guessing set up means produced. The good lady at the dealership suggested that if the head gasket issue hasn't happened yet (at 140,000) then it's unlikely to happen - not sure how true this is.

So the question is, do i risk it and buy the car? :-) 

Could look at purchasing a Toyota extended warranty - currently on offer, 2 years for the price of 1 - which would cover you for the head gasket during the extended warranty, and includes Roadside Assistance for the warranty period. See https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/warranty/extended-warranty.json

Would have to have servicing done by a Toyota dealer - under Essential Care servicing costs aren't too onerous: https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing.json

1 hour ago, fahafiz said:

looking at the car details, it was "setup" on the 02/01/2009 - i'm guessing set up means produced. The good lady at the dealership suggested that if the head gasket issue hasn't happened yet (at 140,000) then it's unlikely to happen - not sure how true this is.

So the question is, do i risk it and buy the car? :-) 

Is it a Toyota dealer? Ask them for the production date or if you get the VIN no. someone like Devon Aygo may be able to help. Also, you want to see the service history - is it complete & all Toyota dealers (this affects the value of the car as well as potential goodwill from Toyota in the event of a problem)?

Frosty, will he be able to buy a Toyota Extended Warranty at that mileage?

Tbh, I wouldn't recommend anybody run a modern turbodiesel from any manufacturer out of warranty at that mileage unless you know that it's had lots of the expensive bits recently replaced. Much safer with a 1.8 Valvematic (although it will drive differently due to the power output characteristics of the engines).

Forgot the mileage - no. The limit is 12 years/100,000 miles.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have an 06 2.2 113000 miles and have recently had the coolant loss issue. It seems most mechanic's don't want the job as too time consuming to replace the gasket and to top it, three guys have said a cracked cylinder head is mostly to blame!! Is there any truth in that statement? 

I've been advised to try a gasket fix,  I have bought elliots gasket fix and am going to try this!!  Any thoughts on that??

I had a T180 before and loved it now this diesel, I probably won't ever have another Toyota as I think it is unacceptable to have continues gasket problems!  Not fair on people who buy these car's after the Toyota warranty runs out! 

A very down and ****** Toyota owner 

42 minutes ago, Warren van said:

I probably won't ever have another Toyota as I think it is unacceptable to have continues gasket problems!  Not fair on people who buy these car's after the Toyota warranty runs out! 

At the end of the day, a 2006 vehicle is now 11 years old, and no manufacturer will continue to provide cover for issues at this age.

The assistance that Toyota did provide was on a case by case basis with a limit of 7 years or 111,846 miles - limits which your vehicle has passed. Toyota's cover was more than most manufacturers would provide.

1 hour ago, Warren van said:

Hi, I have an 06 2.2 113000 miles and have recently had the coolant loss issue. It seems most mechanic's don't want the job as too time consuming to replace the gasket and to top it, three guys have said a cracked cylinder head is mostly to blame!! Is there any truth in that statement? 

it's unlikely to be a cracked cylinder head (I don't think that we have had 1 report of that?) but the failed gasket is a symptom not a cause. Fixing the symptom only just means that it will reoccur at some point.

You might want to look into how other companies handle in-warranty claims let alone for an 11 year old car ...

26 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

At the end of the day, a 2006 vehicle is now 11 years old, and no manufacturer will continue to provide cover for issues at this age.

The assistance that Toyota did provide was on a case by case basis with a limit of 7 years or 111,846 miles - limits which your vehicle has passed. Toyota's cover was more than most manufacturers would provide.

I fully understand what u saying but when u buy a car and you aren't well off and think that most cars esp Toyota wold do can do three times that milage!  So not acceptable in my opinion! 

46 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

it's unlikely to be a cracked cylinder head (I don't think that we have had 1 report of that?) but the failed gasket is a symptom not a cause. Fixing the symptom only just means that it will reoccur at some point.

You might want to look into how other companies handle in-warranty claims let alone for an 11 year old car ...

Thanks for that, that's what I'm worried about as the cause is what? That's the big question?? I know that Toyota wld normally strip engine to find problem?!  I have read that it is sometimes caused by carbon build up?! And apparently there is an engine flush that cld help with that?! Is that true?  As it costs in the region of £300!! Worth a try or not?

Thanks Warren 

50 minutes ago, Warren van said:

I fully understand what u saying but when u buy a car and you aren't well off and think that most cars esp Toyota wold do can do three times that milage!  So not acceptable in my opinion! 

lots of cars will suffer failures before that depending upon how they have been driven/maintained etc.

The law doesn't require manufacturers to fix 11 year old cars foc & I can't think of 1 that would. 

When did you buy the car?

It may not be acceptable in your opinion, but that opinion is unrealistic.

If you bought the car from a dealer within the last six months, you may have some comeback from the dealer under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Warren u have my sympathy and i am sorry to read of ur problem. Sadly there are prob a lot more cars out there like ur's. that with the passing years are maybe more likely to have this problem Which will catch out unsuspecting owner's who purchase them, Toyota have had a great reputation for reliability which is sadly lacking in these engines. I think maybe try to get rid, and not be spending good money on something u prob cannot fix. Do the gasket fix thing and move it on. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

lots of cars will suffer failures before that depending upon how they have been driven/maintained etc.

The law doesn't require manufacturers to fix 11 year old cars foc & I can't think of 1 that would. 

When did you buy the car?

I'm not expecting them to do that at all, cheers 

12 hours ago, Ant-Rav said:

Warren u have my sympathy and i am sorry to read of ur problem. Sadly there are prob a lot more cars out there like ur's. that with the passing years are maybe more likely to have this problem Which will catch out unsuspecting owner's who purchase them, Toyota have had a great reputation for reliability which is sadly lacking in these engines. I think maybe try to get rid, and not be spending good money on something u prob cannot fix. Do the gasket fix thing and move it on. 

Cheers mate, exactly what I'm going to do! And unfortunately this specific engine has its problems and Toyota new about it, that's my issue and unfortunately tarred Toyota for me!!

Cheers for that 

....  unfortunately this specific engine has its problems and Toyota new about it, that's my issue and unfortunately tarred Toyota for me!!

Yes Toyota knew about the issue after the issue materialised, which is why they put in place the coverage for the issue (7 years /111,846 miles). 

4 hours ago, Warren van said:

I'm not expecting them to do that at all, cheers 

well, the cost of fixing it properly (£5k+) is far more than the car is worth i.e. it is not cost effective either for you or for them. so what did you expect them to do?

You still haven't said when you bought the car & from whom.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links