Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Japanise Imported Vitz/yaris (2005 Registered Mk2)

MEP's Yaris GS

Hi all. I haven't been on for a while, mainly as mums Yaris is so reliable :lol:

She's after a newer car, and I've found a reasonably priced 2005 (54 plate) Vitz. Its the mk2 (currenty sold in the UK) shape and has 13k on the clock.

Just wondering if there is anything I should look out for with it?

Its now been fully UK registered and has an MOT and is Taxed, but am slightly nervous with it being an import as we've never owned a grey import before.

Any advise would be greatly recieved.

Many thanks.

Jon.

Do all the usual car checks with it and most importantly do a car text check to make sure there isn't anything seriously wrong with it i.e. it being stolen or an insurance write off. Check for signs of wear, tampering etc. and take someone with you who knows a lot about cars if you don't. Oh and be sure to go over the service history with a fine comb.

Mine is a Japanese model but not sure if that meant it was built in Japan and meant for the U.K. model or if its an import. It isn't stated on the registration and owners documents anyway.

Do a mock insurance check and if they can find your vehicle by the registration plate then you shouldn't have any trouble with it. However, where is it being imported from?

Do all the usual car checks with it and most importantly do a car text check to make sure there isn't anything seriously wrong with it i.e. it being stolen or an insurance write off. Check for signs of wear, tampering etc. and take someone with you who knows a lot about cars if you don't. Oh and be sure to go over the service history with a fine comb.

Mine is a Japanese model but not sure if that meant it was built in Japan and meant for the U.K. model or if its an import. It isn't stated on the registration and owners documents anyway.

Do a mock insurance check and if they can find your vehicle by the registration plate then you shouldn't have any trouble with it. However, where is it being imported from?

Ta for that mate. Yes this one is a Jap Spec'd one that was origional sold in Japan.

Yours will be like mums current Yaris, Built in Japan, but UK spec'd and sold in the UK.

If your car is a right hand drive, has an odomoter in miles, and is the same size as a U.K. Yaris, or simply put, exactly the same as a U.K. spec Yaris then you shouldn't have any trouble with it whatsoever.

If your car is a right hand drive, has an odomoter in miles, and is the same size as a U.K. Yaris, or simply put, exactly the same as a U.K. spec Yaris then you shouldn't have any trouble with it whatsoever.

Jap spec'd Vitz's built and sold in Japan are RHD as standard but will need the speedo/ odometer recalibrating and an additional rear "Fog" lamp fitting.

They must also pass an independent inspection before being registered for use on British roads.

Most "Import" companies will arrange for this to be done before offering them for UK sale

Be aware that some UK Toyota dealers do not like providing spares or servicing for "Grey imports"

Yes, but it isn't, its a Japanise Vitz thats been imported into the UK hence asking.

Jap spec'd Vitz's built and sold in Japan are RHD as standard but will need the speedo/ odometer recalibrating and an additional rear "Fog" lamp fitting.

They must also pass an independent inspection before being registered for use on British roads.

Most "Import" companies will arrange for this to be done before offering them for UK sale

Be aware that some UK Toyota dealers do not like providing spares or servicing for "Grey imports"

Ta for that :)

my woman bought a 03 vitz 5 months ago, best buy so far, the realiability is fantastic, having said that she did have a punto before, but we'll say nothing about that.

well her car is a 1.5 rs and is a wee rocket, its a similar spec to the yaris t sport but has a few more horses and puts out less Co2, but thats getting away from the point.

the car was brought in from japan to england, dirty fog light put on and converted to miles, the dirty gits used a marker to make the kmh to mh on the speedo, anyway the car didnt sell and was grought to ireland where she bought it,

like yourself was a bit iffy about not knowing where it came from but dont be, pure japenees reliabality, nothing like it !!!

Nothing wrong about buying a Jap import car. They are all usually in immaculate condition inside and out and allways seem to get serviced regularly.

A friend of mine bought a 1997 Previa (import) and you could not believe the condition of it, absolutely mint everywhere it really did look like a brand new car, not a single scratch or blemish on it.

The service history was all there, every bill, invoice and receipt, even the original dealer stickers in the window.

He got an absolute bargain with his and 2yrs on, it's still a great car.

Buy a good one and you should have no worries at all. ;)

Thanks guys.

We passed on the car in question in the end due to it one having one key and a few other reasons, but might keep an eye out of another imported Vitz :)

Jon.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links