• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gav77

gav77

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts
  • Toyota Model: supra

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

hi i've just bought a 1990 3.0 turbo supra and im over the moon ........ now for the bad news the turbo is shot i was hoping for a easy fix ie just putting some new seals in it but no the turbine blades have bits broken off. Is it going to be cheaper to get a second hand turbo if i can find 1 or get it replaced. A new char (i belive its called ) would be great, i know that they have to be balanced any advice or contacts would be very helpful i have waited a long time to get my supra and i still haven't driven it longing for the day i can

ps new to site

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 BarneyTT

BarneyTT

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Toyota Model: 94 UK MKIV SupraTT Auto

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

hi i've just bought a 1990 3.0 turbo supra and im over the moon ........ now for the bad news the turbo is shot i was hoping for a easy fix ie just putting some new seals in it but no the turbine blades have bits broken off. Is it going to be cheaper to get a second hand turbo if i can find 1 or get it replaced. A new char (i belive its called ) would be great, i know that they have to be balanced any advice or contacts would be very helpful i have waited a long time to get my supra and i still haven't driven it longing for the day i can

ps new to site

Hi Gav. I would firstly get the turbo situation looked into and see what is actually required and if any damage has been caused, a second hand turbo shouldn't be too difficult to source (breakers or clubs) or a recon unit. One thing to check on a MK3 before you start spending money is the head gasket, they are prone to give way, having said that I had three Mk3's and never encountered the problem.

Best of luck with sorting the car out.

#3 Karma Supra

Karma Supra

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,639 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: 3rd Gen Hilux Surf SSR-X LTD

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

get a proerper refurbed one, don't waste your time fitting knackered secon hand parts.

#4 gav77

gav77

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts
  • Toyota Model: supra

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

thanks for advice
turbo now sorted
now the money pit begins barney was right should have looked at head gasket as its blown
all i wanted was my supra now i have another project still at the end i will have a good supra striping it down tomorrow and doing the head

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users