Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering Noise

Tay

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Avensis, and quite recently the power steering has started to make a noise when turning at, or near, full lock.

The sound is a loud whine noise, typically associated with power steering, but it never used do it. It will make the sound even going round a tight roundabout, not just at low speeds.

Any ideas what this could be?

Cheers

Tay

Hi,

generally for cars with P/S this would be the pump whining. I'm not sure exactly what causes it to whine, something to do with the seals and valves becoming worn. They tend to soldier on for quite a while after they begin whining, but best get it checked out by your local mechanic to be sure it's not going to fail.

It could also be the power steering belt slipping, which would be more evident on damp mornings, or in wet weather, and would be a squeeling nose. This will probably cause the steering to momentarily feel very heavy, before the belt grips the pump pully again. I had it on an old Golf - it would slip in wet / damp weather now and again. If it is doing this, then get it sorted ASAP as it may catch you unawares. I think if it is the belt it would squeel rather than whine, and also be at any point of steering travel, not necessarill on full lock.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

generally for cars with P/S this would be the pump whining. I'm not sure exactly what causes it to whine, something to do with the seals and valves becoming worn. They tend to soldier on for quite a while after they begin whining, but best get it checked out by your local mechanic to be sure it's not going to fail.

It could also be the power steering belt slipping, which would be more evident on damp mornings, or in wet weather, and would be a squeeling nose. This will probably cause the steering to momentarily feel very heavy, before the belt grips the pump pully again. I had it on an old Golf - it would slip in wet / damp weather now and again. If it is doing this, then get it sorted ASAP as it may catch you unawares. I think if it is the belt it would squeel rather than whine, and also be at any point of steering travel, not necessarill on full lock.

Hope this helps.

I agree with the above but also check the level of your power steering reservoir as it may be low causing the pump to run dry on full lock, hence the whining noise.

Regards Pete.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated..

I know this is a real newbie question, but where is the PS reservoir please? I cant see anything obvious..

Don't worry about being a newbie! Cars are complex - even for the experienced!

I agree - check the fluid level first as this can often cause your symptoms. I don't yet own an Avensis, so maybe another member can be a bit more specific than me on this one?? But on most cars the PAS reservoire is usually quite obvious - it should be a plastic bottle, with a screw cap. Sometimes you can make out the hydraulic pipe runing from the reservoire to the steering rack. It usually has a picture of a steering wheel or the initials PAS on it. It will certainly specify to use DOT3 or DOT4 fluid (but don't get mixed up with the break fluid reservoire as it will also state this!)

As an indication, generally PAS pumps should last over 150k miles of usual driving, more for heavy motorway use.

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Avensis, and quite recently the power steering has started to make a noise when turning at, or near, full lock.

The sound is a loud whine noise, typically associated with power steering, but it never used do it. It will make the sound even going round a tight roundabout, not just at low speeds.

Cheers

Tay

HI THERE

I have that same whining on my 2001 1.8 vvti SR, purchased it 2 months ago, heard it on the test drive, and just thought thats part of any toyotas personality! Didn't think it may be a fault. Had the same on my toyota carina 2.0 cdx i owned a few years back. The car drives fine though and i always check the power steering fluid and its fine too. I only hear the noise on full locks to the left/right, it is kind of loud but its common on most/every toyota i see around. But like everyone else said get it checked. I might too actually. Takecare

Hi all,

Cheers

Tay

Hello again! I forgot to mention in my last reply that when the steering hits the stops on full lock the hydraulic pressure goes very high and activates a pressure relief valve, the oil passing through this valve can does create a high pitched noise on some cars. If it wasn't for the relief valve the demand would over pressurise it and damage the hydraulic system. Still check the oil level as I said before, most vehicles use ATF fluid. Later cars will have electronic power steering and so don't have this problem.

Hope this clarifies things a little more, Pete.

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the advice, I forgot to mention that I recently had new front brakes fitted.

The noise was actually a brake dust shield rubbing on one disc, it must have got slightly bent when they fitted the brakes! No damage though and a nice cheap fix..

Cheers

• 6 years later...
On 20/01/2010 at 8:34 PM, cmia said:

if the noise has started to happen

drain

and refill with new ATF

Following on from the power steering chat.  I have whining from my car now only recently. Very noticeable sitting still and turning the wheel. Is the system hard to drain and does it need bled afterwards?  Also how do I find out what the fluid is I need as it dosent state it on the reservoir cap?

I want to replace the fluid first before replacing the pump, which it could very well could be. Always do the easiest and less expensive fix first. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links