Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whoooosh Whistle

Phat Rav

Hello Everyone

First time "RAVER" and poster so be gentle....Bought a 54 plate 2.0 diesel in September 27000 mls and love it.Fantastic in the rescent snow and ice BUT I now have a problem.She had a "Big" service in December but since then It's had a Whoosh Whistle,it can be in any gear,it can be idling or at any speed, seems to be less frequent if I use it a lot.The local Toyota dealer has never heard it before nor the garage where serviced,although they are going to check it out for me next week.Any ideas anyone please?

Welcome to the club.

It sounds a bit turbo ish so could be an inlet pipe off or something to do with the air filter. Did they change it?

Welcome to the club.

It sounds a bit turbo ish so could be an inlet pipe off or something to do with the air filter. Did they change it?

Thanks anchorman

Yes they changed all filters and fluids.Could it be something as simple as a left off clip or something.There is no change in the cars performance or anything tell- tale at all.

It could be but if you get somebody to plib the throttle while you are under the bonnet it should be apparent. Air filters make a big difference. Take yours out and see if it is noisier. If it isn't get a genuine one off Kingo and try that in.

It could be but if you get somebody to plib the throttle while you are under the bonnet it should be apparent. Air filters make a big difference. Take yours out and see if it is noisier. If it isn't get a genuine one off Kingo and try that in.

Again thanks Anchorman

Returned to the garage today they did all the work in front of me seems like the noise is coming from the fuel pump.Any ideas on the cost of a new one?

Astronomic.

I've never heard of a fuel pump making that noise. Are you sure it isn't the filter head?

If it is the fuel pump they are in the £1000 ball park so maybe a scrapper is a better solution.

Astronomic.

I've never heard of a fuel pump making that noise. Are you sure it isn't the filter head?

If it is the fuel pump they are in the £1000 ball park so maybe a scrapper is a better solution.

Anchorman

Do you have a cross drawing of typical pump for learning?

I do not conside the noise arises from rail pressure retaining valve calibrated hole.

Cheers/Igor

could it be the noise some of us get in the 4.2 with the fuel filter the subject came up some time last year i think there was a mod to cure it,someone posted the noise and added the you tube link just a thought but may be worth a check.

good luck

Astronomic.

Thanks

I'll check that out

could it be the noise some of us get in the 4.2 with the fuel filter the subject came up some time last year i think there was a mod to cure it,someone posted the noise and added the you tube link just a thought but may be worth a check.

good luck

Nice one

Dont spose you remember the link??

good luck

Nice one

Here you go:

LINK

Astronomic.

Anchorman

I do not conside the noise arises from rail pressure retaining valve calibrated hole.

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igor.

You mean the high pressure fuel feed pump? The best info I have for the operation is for the 4.3 but is very similar to the 4.2. This pump is capable of generating 1500 bar for the injectors!;

4.3_fuel.pdf

Astronomic.

Anchorman

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igor.

You mean the high pressure fuel feed pump? The best info I have for the operation is for the 4.3 but is very similar to the 4.2. This pump is capable of generating 1500 bar for the injectors!;

4.3_fuel.pdf

hi Anchorman

yes -- it is good PDF, so such whistle noise could be criated bo the following reasons:

- check valves leaks (due to bad balls contact surface or spring failure);

- lack of sufficient lubrication of essentric cam portion;

- feed pump failure.

as vissible on the drawing -- the essentric cam might be lubricactced either by oil or by diesel -- i am in doubts -- which one is used for?

besides -- each pump has pressure regulating valve/screw (like reduction valve) -- i deem this valve vould be touched (miss adjusted when car serviced) -- this also must be considered. but each shaft must to have bearing -- that has also to be inspected.

i do not see any other problems but only typical.

CHeers/Igor

Hi Igor

It isn't impossible for the pump are most moving parts on an engine to create such a noise but I think what is being described is more of an inlet air (either on the suction or pressure side) sort of noise.

The pump is lubricated by diesel.

Regards

Don

Hi Igor

It isn't impossible for the pump are most moving parts on an engine to create such a noise but I think what is being described is more of an inlet air (either on the suction or pressure side) sort of noise.

Regards

Don

hi DON

For sure -- I would like to be agreed with your point of view -- and it is coz -- this is minor spot of this whistle than can be easily rectified. Otherwise .....

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igor

Regards

Don

Don, in other side -- the such whistle can only be definitely heard when starting of engine revving but i do not believe that this whistle is heard on idle RPM --- am i mistaken?? Cheers/Igor

good luck

Nice one

Here you go:

LINK

Had that on my 4.2, and reckon I'm now hearing it but to lesser degree on my 4.3.

good luck

Nice one

Here you go:

LINK

Had that on my 4.2, and reckon I'm now hearing it but to lesser degree on my 4.3.

ok, what was the source of this noise?

we can only guess with possible source but it would be better the Author to submit a video here.

Cheers/Igor

Agree Dave, the 4.3 does do it, but nothing like as bad the 4.2. You have to listen very hard to just hear it.

Agree Dave, the 4.3 does do it, but nothing like as bad the 4.2. You have to listen very hard to just hear it.

Glad it's sorted mine still makes the noise my wife thinks it's the rav singing :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad it's sorted mine still makes the noise my wife thinks it's the rav singing :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I will find out for sure Tuesday when its fitted..Fingers crossed

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there sorry I'm entering this discussion late but I wonder if you can help me also.

I came across your conversation because I googled 'toyota mr2 whistle sound.' As you may guess I don't have a Rav4 but I'm experiencing that loud whistle when revving my latest model of the mr2 roadster.

I've spoken with 2 different mechanic's who first assumed an air leak, i've had my inlet manifold gasket changed and the air system checked, but there's nothing wrong with the air flow! Engine light's not on, performance while the whistle sound's being made does seem slightly slacked, i'm completely clueless and so are the mechanic's, even toyota who I asked an opinion from thought air leek.

Though you are talking about a very different model toyota, any ideas if problem similar?

Astronomic.

Anchorman

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igor.

4.3_fuel.pdf

hi Anchorman

yes -- it is good PDF, so such whistle noise could be criated bo the following reasons:

- check valves leaks (due to bad balls contact surface or spring failure);

- lack of sufficient lubrication of essentric cam portion;

- feed pump failure.

as vissible on the drawing -- the essentric cam might be lubricactced either by oil or by diesel -- i am in doubts -- which one is used for?

besides -- each pump has pressure regulating valve/screw (like reduction valve) -- i deem this valve vould be touched (miss adjusted when car serviced) -- this also must be considered. but each shaft must to have bearing -- that has also to be inspected.

i do not see any other problems but only typical.

CHeers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links