jonddd

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: 2007 XTR Diesel

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

We have decided to buy a 4.3 diesel XT4/5 with a bit more torque to pull our caravan
than our present 4.2 petrol which pulls well but needs a lot of clutch on a slope
as the engine develops its power at quite high revs.
We looked at an XT5 just over 3 years old and were quite interested
but the salesman made an interesting comment, saying that the previous owner had
traded it in as he wanted 'something with fewer electrical gizmos'. I wondered whether during the
guarantee period he had had problems. Is this model known for problems? What should we look out for?
(My wife loves the leather seats and the sunroof.)
Jon

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts
  • First Name:Don
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.
  • Year: 2012

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hi John

Considering how many of us have 4.3s there are very few problems. I think 1 climate control unit and 2 radio displays are all that spring to mind. Go ahead and treat yourself to an XT5 - they are superb.

#3 jonddd

jonddd

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2007 XTR Diesel

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Hi John

Considering how many of us have 4.3s there are very few problems. I think 1 climate control unit and 2 radio displays are all that spring to mind. Go ahead and treat yourself to an XT5 - they are superb.

The test drive was a joy, in bitter cold weather, once we had tried the heated seats my wife
would have bought it on the spot. The trade-in price offered for ours was less exciting however!
Jon

#4 James..

James..

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • First Name:James
  • Toyota Model: RAV4 XT4 D4D 4.3 MY07
  • Year: 2007

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

Hi John

The test drive was a joy, in bitter cold weather, once we had tried the heated seats my wife
would have bought it on the spot. The trade-in price offered for ours was less exciting however!
Jon

I would go for it. Being biased of course but the XT4/XT5 of that vintage are I think the best because you get a spare wheel on the back... missing from later 4.3s. Couple of weeks ago I got a puncture off road, and fifteen minutes later I had changed the wheel and was driving away at full speed. Repair to tire was only about 10 and its fine to use for another few thousand miles. Compare that with XTRs, later 4.3s / 180s. Best case I would be replacing the tire for 100 post foam repair, worst case I'd still be stuck in that field with latex foam shooting out of the tire because it wouldn't work well in sub low temperatures...or if the puncture wasn't in the right place. Would the AA be able to get to me? Who knows? No thanks!

The XT5 is a rarer beast and with all the gizmos its fab. Although Toyotas go wrong, they are more reliable than most (check out JD power ratings for the Prius which is v.complex electrically) and I only bought an XT4 because I couldn't find an XT5! Good luck!

#5 Bezzer

Bezzer

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • First Name:Mick
  • Toyota Model: 2007 Rav4.3 2.2 D4D XT4
  • Year: 2007

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

but the salesman made an interesting comment, saying that the previous owner had
traded it in as he wanted 'something with fewer electrical gizmos'. for?
(My wife loves the leather seats and the sunroof.)
Jon

Exactly my reason for not buying an XT5, didn't wan't idiot stuff like automatic wipers and lights etc as I can usually tell when it's getting dark or raining so plumped for an XT4 with options to up the spec- leather, sidesteps, style pack etc .

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users