Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4d Problems

Grandad1957

Hi guys, new to the forum and would appreciate any help/input. Our Rav (2002 D4D 130K miles) decided to stop on the motorway. RAC came to it and said there were no faults stored and it started but was making a knocking noise. Recovered to local Toyota agent who said it was showing a fault with the engine speed sensor and also one injector was outside the limits. They thought the faulty injector could be causing the other fault to show so suggested changing the injector and seeing what developed. Seemed like a good plan until they said how much they wanted to do it. Took it home and got a friend who works at a different branch of the same agents to replace the faulty injector with a recon one. Started and ran OK and no faults showing when Toyota diagnostic plugged in. Very happy with result and having saved £300. Took it for a run and it only managed about a mile before developing a very loud knock. Friend returned and changed the rest of the injectors but is still knocking. It seems quiet enough when first started from stone cold but as it warms up it stats knocking and if turned off doesn't want to start again, as though the Battery is flat although I know it's not. As I said any help appreciated, Cheers

Hi guys, new to the forum and would appreciate any help/input. Our Rav (2002 D4D 130K miles) decided to stop on the motorway. RAC came to it and said there were no faults stored and it started but was making a knocking noise. Recovered to local Toyota agent who said it was showing a fault with the engine speed sensor and also one injector was outside the limits. They thought the faulty injector could be causing the other fault to show so suggested changing the injector and seeing what developed. Seemed like a good plan until they said how much they wanted to do it. Took it home and got a friend who works at a different branch of the same agents to replace the faulty injector with a recon one. Started and ran OK and no faults showing when Toyota diagnostic plugged in. Very happy with result and having saved £300. Took it for a run and it only managed about a mile before developing a very loud knock. Friend returned and changed the rest of the injectors but is still knocking. It seems quiet enough when first started from stone cold but as it warms up it stats knocking and if turned off doesn't want to start again, as though the battery is flat although I know it's not. As I said any help appreciated, Cheers

hi mate

when you state "recon" -- you know what has been done with injector - -or am i mistaken???

this friend could recon it having casualty remained a small mechanical part/s inside the fuel injection system resulting injector needle blocking in opened position and this opened position enabled more diesel to be sprayed inside the cylinder giving you such hammer knock. No others ways. Working with injection system demands to be very accurate like a surgeon.

Cheers/Igor

Hmmm.......

.........its one where I would prefer to hear it as there is a distinct difference between a diesel knock and a mechanical knock. Igor is quite correct about how sensitive the injectors are but I can't think what might cause them to go from operating OK to overfuelling in the suggested way, I don't rule out something more fundamental.

Welcome to the club Grandad - keep us informed

Hmmm.......

.........its one where I would prefer to hear it as there is a distinct difference between a diesel knock and a mechanical knock. Igor is quite correct about how sensitive the injectors are but I can't think what might cause them to go from operating OK to overfuelling in the suggested way, I don't rule out something more fundamental.

Welcome to the club Grandad - keep us informed

Besides

the author quoted the following:

"Friend returned and changed the rest of the injectors but is still knocking" -- it is deemed those three other injectors -- but what is the fate of the first ??? IN case it had a leak (extensive diesel portion per cycle)-- this could criate such knocking noise. We all do not know what has been done with the first injector -- whether the injector nozzle tip was changed or simply grinded + needle/seat polished ???? I admiss due to not accurate recondition the actual good performance of the first injector has finished during first miles covered. Cheers/Igor

• 3 weeks later...

Took car into main dealers. Dropped oil and found "bits of metal". Anybody know where there is a cheap engine?

PS "friend" is most definately off xmas card list

Unless someone on here has a spare engine? If you simply Google Toyota re-con engines their are pages of toyota re-conned,or low mileage engine suppliers, or maybe your own could be re-built, at least you would then know its history, but obviously be very careful, might also be a good time to check both clutch + flywheel, if you decide to go this route..Stew

Unless someone on here has a spare engine? If you simply Google Toyota re-con engines their are pages of toyota re-conned,or low mileage engine suppliers, or maybe your own could be re-built, at least you would then know its history, but obviously be very careful, might also be a good time to check both clutch + flywheel, if you decide to go this route..Stew

Thanks Stew have already done that and it seems to be coming out at about 2K. Don't know if it's worth spending that on it

What about eBay, try Toyota D4D engine, theres one for a 02 avensis, I assume its the same, also this LINK hope it helps STEW

Took car into main dealers. Dropped oil and found "bits of metal". Anybody know where there is a cheap engine?

PS "friend" is most definately off xmas card list

hi

what is origin of these bits?

cheers

What about ebay, try Toyota D4D engine, theres one for a 02 avensis, I assume its the same, also this LINK hope it helps STEW

Stew, already tried that one as well. It's actually located about 3 miles from me but when I rang the guy up he assured me that they are different.

Cheers, Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Had no luck sourcing an engine and " her indoors " has bought a Prius so now will be going on eBay as dealers offered a pittance for it.