Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Recall

Exmeg2

The following notification has just appeared in the press. Fingers crossed that it does not include the Auris.

Massive Toyota recall spreads to China and Europe

Leo Lewis, Asia Business Correspondent

Toyota is investigating which vehicles sold in Europe may be affected by faulty accelerators

Toyota’s massive recall of more than seven million vehicles in the United States — sparked by reliability problems with accelerator pedals — is to be extended to Europe and China, the company revealed today.

The announcements came hours after the company added a further 1.09 million vehicles to the tally of cars involved in its US recall.

It is thought that at least 75,000 vehicles will be recalled in China — the world's largest car market and a region where Toyota has been struggling to replicate the success that it has enjoyed elsewhere.

The scale of the European recall is undetermined but expected to be revealed soon.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick D4D

• Parts-King

• Exmeg2

• uk_driver

oh dear lord, if mine is recalled I'll repair it by myself

Why let Toyota do it as they also put £15 worth of fuel in the tank as well;)

The following notification has just appeared in the press. Fingers crossed that it does not include the Auris.

Toyota is investigating which vehicles sold in Europe may be affected by faulty accelerators

Toyota’s massive recall of more than seven million vehicles in the United States — sparked by reliability problems with accelerator pedals — is to be extended to Europe and China, the company revealed today.

The announcements came hours after the company added a further 1.09 million vehicles to the tally of cars involved in its US recall.

It is thought that at least 75,000 vehicles will be recalled in China — the world's largest car market and a region where Toyota has been struggling to replicate the success that it has enjoyed elsewhere.

The scale of the European recall is undetermined but expected to be revealed soon.

According to German News TV (NTV) from a few minutes ago the recall includes Auris

Regards Hal

Here is the latest press release with info on the cars involved;

www.toyotagb-press.co.uk

29 January 2010

TOYOTA ANNOUNCES RECALL CAMPAIGN IN EUROPE

FOR POTENTIAL ACCELERATOR PEDAL ISSUE

Toyota Motor Europe announced today the recall of 8 Toyota models in Europe, to solve a potential accelerator pedal issue. The involved models and production periods are as follows:

• AYGO (Feb 2005 – Aug 2009)

• iQ (Nov 2008 – Nov 2009)

• Yaris (Nov 2005 – Sep 2009)

• Auris (Oct 2006 – 5 Jan 2010)

• Corolla (Oct 2006 – Dec 2009)

• Verso (Feb 2009 – 5 Jan 2010)

• Avensis (Nov 2008 – Dec 2009)

• RAV4 (Nov 2005 – Nov 2009)

The precise number of involved units is still under investigation, but may reach up to 1.8 million vehicles. No Lexus models and no other Toyota models are affected.

"Toyota's policy is to put its customers first, in all circumstances", said Tadashi Arashima, President and CEO of Toyota Motor Europe. "We understand that the current situation is creating concerns, and we deeply regret it. We would also like to reassure customers: the potential accelerator pedal issue only occurs in very rare circumstances. The announced action is a preventive measure aimed to guarantee the highest safety standards to all customers."

For subject vehicles, there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

This issue is caused because the accelerator pedal mechanisms concerned may become worn. This progressive wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, can cause friction in the mechanism to increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being harder to depress, slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position.

Toyota has identified a remedy for this issue, and is currently pursuing a final evaluation and confirmation procedure. As soon as the countermeasure is confirmed, Toyota will communicate to all customers and other concerned parties the details of the corrective action and of the implementation procedure.

A running change in production using different parts has already been implemented model-by-model for the models on sale in Europe, as part of Toyota's continuous quality improvement policy. Therefore there is no need or intention to stop production in Europe.

Only a limited number of incidents have been reported in Europe, and Toyota Motor Europe is not aware of any accident resulting from this issue.

Toyota is making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.

Whilst this condition is rare Toyota advises customers who have concerns, to contact the nearest Toyota retailer for assistance ahead of the recall instructions being issued.

ANOTHER RECALL?!!

This is a joke. Auris is a toy. What have i got myself into?!!!! :censor:

ABZ-T2

A TOYota?

(...)

• Auris (Oct 2006 – 5 Jan 2010)

(...)

whilst this is ANOTHER item on my list of issues with the Auris...

At least my car is already at the dealers this time, having a whole load of warranty work done on it...

so hopefully it will ALL be sorted before I get back to UK...

"Toyota's policy is to put its customers first, in all circumstances", said Tadashi Arashima, President and CEO of Toyota Motor Europe.

I must remember this quote...

Also I am sure thinking back that , the time I got caught for speeding could possibly be due to a sticky throttle... I wonder if the Police would fall for that one... :-)

I believe that there is a potential silver lining at the end of the current recall programme. When the crisis is over Toyota will be anxious to avoid a similar event because they know that it could have a catastrophic effect on sales, possibly even threatening the company's standing and position in the world. The recovery actions which are now in hand will almost certainly include:

1. A deep rooted and extensive assessment of quality control procedures especially those relating to bought in components.

2. An extensive review of road testing procedures to ensure that as far as is reasonably practicable potential faults are highlighted and addressed before the cars go into full production

As a side issue I would not be at all surprised if the company also takes a long hard look at the way in which it uses market research when designing a new car. If my understanding is correct (and I could be wrong) one of the possible reasons for the disappointing cabin is that Toyota relied to a certain extent on focus groups which, in some cases, gave the impression that buyers are not particularly concerned about interior quality.

To put it another way. When I change my Auris at the end of its warranty I fully expect my confidence in Toyota cars to be at a higher level than it is today. I may not necessarily buy another Toyota but I am sure it will be on my shortlist.

Totally agree with the above. I have been a member of focus groups but after been wined and dined by the company felt obliged to be nice about the product. Remember the ghastly yellow interior of the first Auris t spirit, that did not last long. The new Avensis must be the only car in its sector not to be a hatchback, who decided that one.

Whilst the majority of manufactures are upgrading their interiors (Vauxhall, Ford, Citreon, Renault,) Toyota are still using tacky plastic in the smaller cars. Stopped making T spirit versions of the Yaris for instance, so if you want a bit of luxury, tough.

With R.and D, they are getting left behind. No decent range of Diesel engines, unlike Ford, P.S.A. V.W etc. The Lexus 220d, it appears they have stopped making them. Petrol engines, no small turbo/ super charged offerings like V.W and Fiat.

Auto gear boxes. After the M.M.T effort now rely on belts that expand an idea going back 30 years, introduced by DAF. Whilst for instance V.W have Dsg and Ford powershift.

O.K they produce advanced electric cars but they cost and are not to everybodys taste.

I really do wish that they get their act together and hope that the threat of reported job losses in the U.K does not occur. And yes I would like to buy another Toyota, hopefully the 2010 Auris.

I don't think anything will change around the way MrT makes his motors until someone in power and authority starts taking real notice of forums like this, where real people provide real feedback. (And they lock up all the !Removed! company accountants!)

It seems to me too much decision making is done at too high a level...

I would never look at a Toyota again. A family died because of this recall problem. I have a family and kids who regularly travel in my car and that scares the ***** out of me! Imagine what it must feel like nOt being able to slow down!! The other recalls are very serious issues too. Steering wheel dropping whilst ur driving?!!

Toyota have decided to take shortcuts and now must pay the price. I hope they are forced to close down. The auris may have 5 star ratings safety wise in the event of an accident but whats the point if a mechanical failure within the car will kill you. Toyota is no longer the reliable safe car to me and never will be. I have lost all respect for toyota.

ABZ-T2

Yes I think all vehicles running on the road should have a non electronic engine kill switch fitted so in case of emergency any malfunction caused by electronic or mechanical failure can be terminated.

Yes I think all vehicles running on the road should have a non electronic engine kill switch fitted so in case of emergency any malfunction caused by electronic or mechanical failure can be terminated.

That's a great idea Morlock, but unfortunately in the real world normal people just panic when this sort of thing happens to them and don't think of the right thing to do. How many times I've got into a skid and just kept pushing the brake pedal?

The real answer is not to fit shoddily made crap to a ton and a half of high speed steel!

Whatever happened to adequate testing???

I would never look at a Toyota again. A family died because of this recall problem. I have a family and kids who regularly travel in my car and that scares the ***** out of me! Imagine what it must feel like nOt being able to slow down!! The other recalls are very serious issues too. Steering wheel dropping whilst ur driving?!!

Toyota have decided to take shortcuts and now must pay the price. I hope they are forced to close down. The auris may have 5 star ratings safety wise in the event of an accident but whats the point if a mechanical failure within the car will kill you. Toyota is no longer the reliable safe car to me and never will be. I have lost all respect for toyota.

ABZ-T2

I think your being a little bit hypocritical here yes it is sad people died but people die because of blow outs but that does not make the tyre manufacturer recall all their tyres, the problem here is a part made by another company that Toyota use and has only effected less than 0.01% of the cars Toyota make, TBH you have more chance of winning the lottery than this happening to you. I myself are not worried about this happening to me and I am very happy that Toyota have done the responsible thing and recalled all the possible effected cars. I will also add that even a simple thing like the rear view mirror falling off whilst driving could cause a fatal accident and the truth is if the throttle was stuck if you pushed the clutch the drive train is disconnected and your engine can go up in smoke, this could be done in a split second so I dont see any reason to panic for how many or shall we say how few cars this has effected.

ABZ-T2

I think your being a little bit hypocritical here yes it is sad people died but people die because of blow outs but that does not make the tyre manufacturer recall all their tyres, the problem here is a part made by another company that Toyota use and has only effected less than 0.01% of the cars Toyota make, TBH you have more chance of winning the lottery than this happening to you. I myself are not worried about this happening to me and I am very happy that Toyota have done the responsible thing and recalled all the possible effected cars. I will also add that even a simple thing like the rear view mirror falling off whilst driving could cause a fatal accident and the truth is if the throttle was stuck if you pushed the clutch the drive train is disconnected and your engine can go up in smoke, this could be done in a split second so I dont see any reason to panic for how many or shall we say how few cars this has effected.

Well said Rick D4D for injecting some common sense, balance and perspective into this discussion!

Phil

ABZ-T2

I agree 100% with what Rick is saying here. I too am not in the least bit worried as I know Toyota will sort it. They are not the first to have recalls on their cars.

It amazes me the amount of brown stuff that the Auris gets via this forum, I am beginning to think that my Auris is not an Auris as I have had no major issues other than road noise which i hope to sort with new tyres very soon.

RMB Toyota in Darlington Co Durham have given excellent service at all times.

Would I like to own the new 2010 Auris?

A resounding Yes from me.

That's me done guys.

Best wishes

Paul

I agree 100% with what Rick is saying here. I too am not in the least bit worried as I know Toyota will sort it. They are not the first to have recalls on their cars.

It amazes me the amount of brown stuff that the Auris gets via this forum, I am beginning to think that my Auris is not an Auris as I have had no major issues other than road noise which i hope to sort with new tyres very soon.

Yes, I also support what both Rick and Paul have said. Toyota have taken a very brave step here and gone public on what has been an issue affecting relatively few cars to date.

Look at the response Renault gave when BBC Watchdog highlighted problems with the Clio bonnet catch - thye couldn't give a toss!

My Auris 1.33 was purchased new in October 09 - and it has been absolutely fine. No issues at all -similar to my previous 2006 Corolla.

In comparison, our 2007 Mazda 2 had it's coil pack fail at eight months, and Mazda made us wait for over 10 weeks for a new HT Lead - we then only had one fitted because I insisted they fit the equivalent Ford part (the car was built by Ford at Valencia and was based on the Fusion). It has also gone through its front tyres in 10,500 miles due to not being tracked at the factory.

Sorry this is a bit late - been up at the BBC most of the day.

Here's the latest info;

Toyota has announced its remedy for accelerator pedals on vehicles subject to a recall.

Details of the remedy were released today in the United States and Toyota plans to implement a similar remedy in Europe, China and other countries and regions, where details are to be worked out with local authorities.

In the accelerator-pedal assembly of affected vehicles, condensation resulting from cold-weather use of the heater or other causes may form on the worn surface of what is known as a friction device. If this occurs, there is a possibility that, in the worst case, the accelerator pedal returns slowly or does not return to its idle position. To reassure customers, Toyota decided on a recall.

The remedy involves installing a precision-cut steel reinforcement bar into the accelerator-pedal assembly that creates a space to reduce the surface tension between the friction device and a component called the pedal arm. The bar also strengthens the reaction force of the spring that returns the accelerator pedal to its non-pressed position.

Toyota will communicate to all affected UK customers and other concerned parties the details of the implementation procedure as quickly as possible.

Only a limited number of incidents have been reported in Europe, and Toyota is not aware of any accidents in the UK or Europe resulting from this issue.

Whilst this condition is rare Toyota advises customers who have concerns to contact Toyota GB Customer Relations on 0800 1388 744 for assistance.

Only a limited number of incidents have been reported in Europe, and Toyota is not aware of any accidents in the UK or Europe resulting from this issue.

Whilst this condition is rare Toyota advises customers who have concerns to contact Toyota GB Customer Relations on 0800 1388 744 for assistance.

Like I said more chance of wining the lottery :D maybe I should call Toyota GB Customer Relations on 0800 1388 744 for assistance on picking my numbers :P but seriously now well done TOYOTA and 10/10 for making this recall as I am sure some other manufactures would not have bothered and this is a costly exercise for TOYOTA as they put £15 worth of fuel in your car for the inconvenience nether mind paying for the work as well. Please not we maybe talking about recalling a billion + cars for this fault that has maybe only effected an handful of cars but TOYOTA are thinking about customer safety 1st, I bet the company making these faulty pedals will have one hell of a bill or if they had any business sense would have been declared bankrupt over the weekend.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links