Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Recall

Exmeg2

... this is a costly exercise for TOYOTA as they put £15 worth of fuel in your car for the inconvenience ...

Well, apparently not everywhere. Maybe in UK they do.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick D4D

• Parts-King

• Exmeg2

• uk_driver

hi all ,who puts the £15 of petrol in after recall ,toyota or the dealer ,my 09 plate 1.6 t3 was in for the steering coloum recall ,car was with them all day ,and i never got any petrol or good will gesture then ,did dealer knowingly keep the petrol ,or is it the dealer that gives the £15 of petrol as goodwill and not toyota ,thanks

Reding between the lines of the repair... I bet the accel pedal has a nylon bush around the pivot point of the acel pedal arm ( the "friction" device), which is probably in contact with the support bracket to give a tiny bit of friction and dampen the travel of the pedal.

Nylon parts absorbs water, and expands... I bet in order for the failure to occur this nylon bush needs to expand enough;

a- to clamp the pedal pivot in the rotation axis direction,

b- to expand length to clamp against the support bracket, (lengthwise)

and this probably requires a very damp humid environment to allow the nylon to absorb water, so if you wear rubber wellies and get your cabin carpet wet regularly, or use AC in very humid environments etc etc etc ...

The solution is to " installing a precision-cut steel reinforcement bar into the accelerator-pedal assembly that creates a space to reduce the surface tension between the friction device and a component called the pedal arm"

which i think translates to jamming a piece of metal on the support bracket to open it up and stop it rubbing with the pedal arm. effectively increasing the clearance between bracket and pedal...

Anyway god response, albeit a bit too slow to respond to market feedback.

You probably need both effects and the environment all at once to eventually cause the pedal to stick. So you are talking of not a failure but a compound failure, which in statistical terms is very unlikely ( if you don't think so, go to the races, and try and win a bet where you get 2 dogs to win as per your bet!)

This is only my assumption based on what i read. I will check the design when i get home and get my car from the dealers....

I will have a look when i get home, but if it is something like this i can believe the low probability, and what Toyota are doing is basic due diligence, if they recognise it is a design flaw and there is even a tiny chance of a serious injury it has to be recalled... so credit to them in their response, and I am sure they will have done a lot of HANSEI ( lessons learnt) and KAIZEN ( continuous improvement) to ensure this does not happen ever again.

As for risk in Europe again it is lower as most drive manuals and we can dip the clutch to prevent "runaway", so again , just the americans who can't drive and use autos also ...

hi all ,who puts the £15 of petrol in after recall ,toyota or the dealer ,my 09 plate 1.6 t3 was in for the steering coloum recall ,car was with them all day ,and i never got any petrol or good will gesture then ,did dealer knowingly keep the petrol ,or is it the dealer that gives the £15 of petrol as goodwill and not toyota ,thanks

When mine went for this recall they put £15 of diesel in and I was told this was normal when they recall your car ;)

My car has been in for the steering recall twice. I have never received a £15 fuel up!! Hmmmm!!! :huh:

I can only go by what my local dealer did and told me ;)

I was told this was normal when they recall your car ;)

I believe this is normal only in the dealership that you're talking about. That is not a rule, probably just something your dealer tries to keep customers satisfied. Most dealers don't provide any compensation.

Best regards, Alex

I am becoming more and more puzzled as to why Toyota is taking so long to identify the individual cars with accelerator problems. I understand that the quality assurance programme (of which I have some knowledge) used by the company is heavily geared towards the traceability of components and operations and I fully expected that by punching in the part number of the defective accelerator pedal Toyota could bring up a list of cars to which it has been fitted. That this appears not to have been possible seems strange and one wonders if the QA programme has been diluted in the rush to increase market share.

I am becoming more and more puzzled as to why Toyota is taking so long to identify the individual cars with accelerator problems. I understand that the quality assurance programme (of which I have some knowledge) used by the company is heavily geared towards the traceability of components and operations and I fully expected that by punching in the part number of the defective accelerator pedal Toyota could bring up a list of cars to which it has been fitted. That this appears not to have been possible seems strange and one wonders if the QA programme has been diluted in the rush to increase market share.

I don't think most people appreciate the enormous task ahead. Possibly a few hundred thousand vehicles affected in the UK alone, parts have to be made and distributed to dealers across Europe and beyond, specific vehicles have to be identified, Dealers will need to be trained on the fitting and claiming procedures. Toyota in conjunction with VOSA and the DVLA liase to get access to the database of names and addresses of owners vehicles and all of this does take time to prepare. The link in my signature now takes you to the specific recall site where (from 4th Feb) you will be able to see if your vehicle is affected

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi, I am a tad confused as I thought Toyota had listed the vehicles involved?

In my case the Auris was from 06 onwards, or did I miss something?

Either way and as mentioned in previous message, I am not bothered at all and am happy to wait until I get the call!!

Best wishes

Paul

Hi, I am a tad confused as I thought Toyota had listed the vehicles involved?

In my case the Auris was from 06 onwards, or did I miss something?

Either way and as mentioned in previous message, I am not bothered at all and am happy to wait until I get the call!!

As mentioned above, the link in my signature will take you to the Toyota recall site. From 4th Feb, you will be able to look up specific chassis number ranges to check if your car is affected, from the info already on Auris the website states:

Auris (Oct 2006 - 5 Jan 2010)

My car has been in for the steering recall twice. I have never received a £15 fuel up!! Hmmmm!!! :huh:

Spoke to the dealer today and asked about the £15 fuel and this is a Toyota thing but is not available to staff that work for Toyota and dealers own cars just the general public customer like myself, if you did not get this I would talk to your dealer.

Spoke to the dealer today and asked about the £15 fuel and this is a Toyota thing but is not available to staff that work for Toyota and dealers own cars just the general public customer like myself, if you did not get this I would talk to your dealer.

Thnx Rick. I will look into it. Im a public customer too i fink!! lol Well i am a student and dont work for toyota. :D

Not surprised though really coz my dealer has never reli made me a happy customer in the 2 years ive owned a toyota!!

ABZ-T2

Toyota now have the system operational on their website, where you can enter your contact details and VIN, and send the info to them to check whether your car is affected by the recall - go to 'http://www.toyota.co.uk/recall/index.html'

The site will have live information on it over the weekend, where you can check your own car to see if it is affected

TOYOTA RECALL WEBSITE

The UK Toyota recall list includes these models; Auris (Oct 2006 – 5 Jan 2010), Avensis (Nov 2008 – Dec 2009), Yaris (Nov 2005 – Sep 2009), Verso (Feb 2009 – 5 Jan 2010), iQ (Nov 2008 – Nov 2009), Corolla (Oct 2006 – Dec 2009), and Aygo (Feb 2005 – Aug 2009).

The site will have live information on it over the weekend, where you can check your own car to see if it is affected

TOYOTA RECALL WEBSITE

The site will contain information only regarding UK cars, won't it?

Best regards, Alex

Perhaps this accelerator fault would explain why the engine revs increase every time I change gear/depress clutch.

- something that I and others had mentioned many times before.

Trublu

Perhaps this accelerator fault would explain why the engine revs increase every time I change gear/depress clutch.

- something that I and others had mentioned many times before.

Trublu

It is not an issue- it is normal. It was explained on the forum before. Nothing to do with recall.

John Williams Toyota Commercial Director explains the recall

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

John Williams Toyota Commercial Director explains the recall

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

He looks like he has a sore bum.

Still, credit to Toyota for pulling all the stops to resolve this.

At least they are responsible enough and up front about the whole thing.

I think Toyota have been a little slow off the mark here.They are just not used to having something as momentous happen to their cars.

It must be a real culture shock to the Japanese mindset to see how something like this can overnight destroy consumer confidence in what was a previously world leading brand.

This is what happens when you outsource component manufacture to companies not used to the Japanese way and working to a price set by accountants.

We all now have to understand that the Toyota we used to love because of its legendary build quality and reliability is gone forever.

It truly breaks my heart and by the way I think the world press has been loving stabbing Toyota in the back but it cannot be denied that they are just not as good as they used to be.

Has anyone managed to get a reply from Toyota after using the enquiry format, below, which appears on their recall website ?

Please complete your details below and we will contact you by email. We will let you know at the earliest possible opportunity if your vehicle is affected.

Fields marked with * are required.

Title*

Forename*

Surname*

Email Address*

VIN / Registration Number*

Has anyone managed to get a reply from Toyota after using the enquiry format, below, which appears on their recall website ?

Please complete your details below and we will contact you by email. We will let you know at the earliest possible opportunity if your vehicle is affected.

Fields marked with * are required.

Title*

Forename*

Surname*

Email Address*

VIN / Registration Number*

Nope, I haven't!

I think Toyota have been a little slow off the mark here.They are just not used to having something as momentous happen to their cars.

It must be a real culture shock to the Japanese mindset to see how something like this can overnight destroy consumer confidence in what was a previously world leading brand.

This is what happens when you outsource component manufacture to companies not used to the Japanese way and working to a price set by accountants.

We all now have to understand that the Toyota we used to love because of its legendary build quality and reliability is gone forever.

It truly breaks my heart and by the way I think the world press has been loving stabbing Toyota in the back but it cannot be denied that they are just not as good as they used to be.

I think you said it all my friend. I've been saying this lately too but you simplified it very well