Toyota PR

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Most of them, especially 1/43 scale Minichamps, Ebbro and Ixo

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

This is caused because the accelerator pedal mechanisms concerned may become worn. This progressive wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, can cause friction in the mechanism to increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being harder to depress, slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position.

In case of occurrence, the driver may notice that the accelerator pedal is progressively harder to depress or is slower to return. A rough or chattered feeling may also be experienced when depressing/releasing the accelerator pedal.

Toyota will implement a recall in Europe for this matter. The details of corrective action and implementation will be communicated directly to customers with vehicles potentially affected.

The models and exact number of potentially affected vehicles is under investigation.

A running change in production using different parts has already been implemented model-by-model in the European production. Therefore there is no need or intention to stop production in Europe.

Whilst this condition is rare we advise customers who have concerns to contact Toyota GB Customer Relations (0800 1388744) for assistance ahead of the recall instructions being issued.

We’ll post further information as we have it at Toyota Blog

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Steve

Steve

Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids!!

• +Admin
  • 10,001 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • Toyota Model: Wifes aygo at the mo!
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

i have stickied this scott

#3 Toyota PR

Toyota PR

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

Thanks, Steve.

I'll post any updates here as soon as we have them.

#4 Toyota PR

Toyota PR

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

Firstly, sorry not to have got on here sooner. Been a bit busy this afternoon...

Here is the latest press release with info on the cars involved;

www.toyotagb-press.co.uk
29 January 2010

TOYOTA ANNOUNCES RECALL CAMPAIGN IN EUROPE
FOR POTENTIAL ACCELERATOR PEDAL ISSUE

Toyota Motor Europe announced today the recall of 8 Toyota models in Europe, to solve a potential accelerator pedal issue. The involved models and production periods are as follows:
• AYGO (Feb 2005 – Aug 2009)
• iQ (Nov 2008 – Nov 2009)
• Yaris (Nov 2005 – Sep 2009)
• Auris (Oct 2006 – 5 Jan 2010)
• Corolla (Oct 2006 – Dec 2009)
• Verso (Feb 2009 – 5 Jan 2010)
• Avensis (Nov 2008 – Dec 2009)
• RAV4 (Nov 2005 – Nov 2009)

The precise number of involved units is still under investigation, but may reach up to 1.8 million vehicles. No Lexus models and no other Toyota models are affected.

"Toyota's policy is to put its customers first, in all circumstances", said Tadashi Arashima, President and CEO of Toyota Motor Europe. "We understand that the current situation is creating concerns, and we deeply regret it. We would also like to reassure customers: the potential accelerator pedal issue only occurs in very rare circumstances. The announced action is a preventive measure aimed to guarantee the highest safety standards to all customers."

For subject vehicles, there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

This issue is caused because the accelerator pedal mechanisms concerned may become worn. This progressive wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, can cause friction in the mechanism to increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being harder to depress, slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position.

Toyota has identified a remedy for this issue, and is currently pursuing a final evaluation and confirmation procedure. As soon as the countermeasure is confirmed, Toyota will communicate to all customers and other concerned parties the details of the corrective action and of the implementation procedure.

A running change in production using different parts has already been implemented model-by-model for the models on sale in Europe, as part of Toyota's continuous quality improvement policy. Therefore there is no need or intention to stop production in Europe.

Only a limited number of incidents have been reported in Europe, and Toyota Motor Europe is not aware of any accident resulting from this issue.

Toyota is making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.

Whilst this condition is rare Toyota advises customers who have concerns, to contact the nearest Toyota retailer for assistance ahead of the recall instructions being issued.

#5 Phoenix999

Phoenix999

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 3,966 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • Toyota Model: Auris Excel Touring Sport Auto
  • Year: 2013

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

Well my car and my daughter's Aygo fall within the identifies groups :huh:

My car, even though it is less than a year old does appear to have a mild form of pedal sticking by way of being slightly harder to depress at times and just now and again will stick in a slightly open position which I notice more when changing from D to R or the other way :angry:

I hope that Toyota will send the recall letters to my daughter and me fairly soon :yes:

#6 Toyota PR

Toyota PR

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

We are meeting with VOSA next week. Once we have the VIN numbers of the cars involved it usually takes 3-4 weeks before we get the addresses and can contact owners.

#7 andymturner

andymturner

• Registered Member
  • 16 posts
  • Toyota Model: Corolla Verso

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

We are meeting with VOSA next week. Once we have the VIN numbers of the cars involved it usually takes 3-4 weeks before we get the addresses and can contact owners.

The list shown here is confusing because when I bought my 2007 model Toyota it was called a 'Corolla Verso' and now this model is just known as 'Verso' - so I cannot tell from the data published by Toyota if my car comes under this recall and therefore could be classed as dangerous to drive: not much comfort as I am about to embark on a major journey with my family!!!

#8 Toyota PR

Toyota PR

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

I am sorry we can not be more precise just yet.

If you have any concernes please call the customer helpline 0800 1388744.

#9 Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • First Name:Bob
  • Toyota Model: 2004 Rav4 & 2006 AYGO Sport.
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

my daughter's AYGO also falls into the affected groups, so I'm now a little concerned about her using it .

#10 techy

techy

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

Just ruddy marvellous..

That will be the 4th recall my 06 Yaris has had since delivery..!!!

That's in addtion to all the other problems i have had, some caused after the previous recalls were carried out !..

I will be claiming for my Fuel costs here

I must remember, as i have been told by customer services often when i raise an issue, that it's me and there is nothing wrong the car, and they are all like it..

What on earth is going on at Toyota ?.., they used to be a byword for quality, i have had 7 Toyota's and the last two, one made in UK one in France have been riddled with problems and in the case of the Yaris some never resolved !

I am totally fed-up with my time being wasted in this way

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users