SF695

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 2.0 Sol 1999

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:53 PM

It takes time to discover and comfirm a problem, that is caused by wear. And in all fairness, no car manufacturer can be expected to issue a recall, only based on a few complains. The problem has to be comfirmed.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#62 Parts-King

Parts-King

AUTHORISED TOC TRADER

• Authorised Trader
  • 10,010 posts
  • First Name:Kingo
  • Toyota Model: Auris 1.4 Diesel Tourer
  • Year: 2013

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

rickers:
Anyway, my main question is that I am interested in, if the floor matt recall was a genuine problem or if it was only performed whilst the pedal was the problem after all and not the floor matt. In my Avensis if have fitted the mats from my Mark II, and although there are loose I cannot see how they can move themselves ON TOP of the pedal.

There are two seperate issues here.
1: Customers like yourselves will fit any mat in the car without any method of securing them. We see on a regular basis, mats that creep forward and either get hooked up under the clutch pedal, or under the accelerator pedal. This method of unsecured mats is very dangerous, ALL Toyota genuine cars mats come with a locking clip to stop the mats creeping forward. You might not be able to see how they move, but I can tell you they do!
2: The accelerator pedal recall, brought about by 26 reported cases of accelerator pedlas sticking in the whole of Europe. A particular set of circimstances caused this to happen on a very limited number of cars, so in the true spirit of quality, Toyota have recalled all cars fitted with this type of pedal for inspection and repair if required. If your car comes in for a recall accelerator issue and you have unsecured, non genuine mats in the car, then they will be removed and placed in the boot and you will be informed

In relation to your water pump question, part numbers change all the time, its how things evolve, a better type of seal was probably fitted or a slightly better design, as my old apprentice teacher once told me "if things dont change, they will stay as they are" so if water pumps and countless other things did not evolve, we would all still be going round on horse and carts ;) :horse:

Kingo :thumbsup:

#63 Phoenix999

Phoenix999

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 3,966 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • Toyota Model: Auris Excel Touring Sport Auto

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

My car had the recall work done earlier this afternoon. The entire process took less than 1 hour and included a wash and clean inside plus a safety check :)

It also included a £20 voucher towards any future repairs or service bills, I was also told that I will be receiving £20 of Marks & Spencer vouchers directly from Toyota UK :)

Well what can I say other than.... "Thank you Toyota for sensible and good customer service" :thumbsup:

The service manager also told me that a huge number of European built cars have an identical part fitted to them so we have to wonder why other manufacturers are not recalling their cars, it appears that this may not be a problem specific to Toyota :huh: Is there a hidden sinister issue here :unsure: We shall have to wait and see :huh:

#64 pharmageddon

pharmageddon

• Registered Member
  • 2 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

Had my recall done last week and it took maybe half an hour plus the gave the car a good wash and vacuum, which saved me a job!

Not sure why the media jumped all over this story, as recalls happen all the time with other manufacturers. Fiat recalled Puntos because of a brake problem a few years ago and I don't remember reading anything in the press. I just had a letter to my house.

Obviously some people are daft enough to panic over stories blown out of all proportion though. An inspector at the college I work at refused to drive the car we rented for her for the week 'because it's a Toyota'. Big waste of money at a time when staff may be made redundant. :rolleyes:

#65 Carquestions

Carquestions

• Registered Member
  • 7 posts
  • Toyota Model: 08 Sequoia

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

I can't see what all the fuss is about, if it was such a big deal wouldn't this forum be covered in threads about sticky throttle pedals????

I for one certainly won’t be sitting here worrying ;)

People got killed. Sad, but not unheard of. What i would like to know is, why we don't hear anything about the people that got killed over Fords break issues. Or in fires in various american branded cars. Can it really be that Ford gets away with covering up and Toyota gets punished for doing at recall. Little late maybe, but still a recall.

To be accurate about it - there has been no formal investigations of any accident involving a Toyota where the driver claimed the gas pedal stuck - there has only been unverfied complaints taken from the NHTSA database - please do no repeat major news outlets claims of accidents and deaths - there simply hasn't been any credible investigations that have proven this -

#66 Sagitar

Sagitar

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • First Name:Chris
  • Toyota Model: Prius Plug-in

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

I notice that Toyota have a full page "damage limitation" ad. in UK dailies today - must have cost a bob or two.

#67 Parts-King

Parts-King

AUTHORISED TOC TRADER

• Authorised Trader
  • 10,010 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

What you mean is THIS ONE HERE

#68 Carquestions

Carquestions

• Registered Member
  • 7 posts
  • Toyota Model: 08 Sequoia

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

rickers:
Anyway, my main question is that I am interested in, if the floor matt recall was a genuine problem or if it was only performed whilst the pedal was the problem after all and not the floor matt. In my Avensis if have fitted the mats from my Mark II, and although there are loose I cannot see how they can move themselves ON TOP of the pedal.

There are two seperate issues here.
1: Customers like yourselves will fit any mat in the car without any method of securing them. We see on a regular basis, mats that creep forward and either get hooked up under the clutch pedal, or under the accelerator pedal. This method of unsecured mats is very dangerous, ALL Toyota genuine cars mats come with a locking clip to stop the mats creeping forward. You might not be able to see how they move, but I can tell you they do!
2: The accelerator pedal recall, brought about by 26 reported cases of accelerator pedlas sticking in the whole of Europe. A particular set of circimstances caused this to happen on a very limited number of cars, so in the true spirit of quality, Toyota have recalled all cars fitted with this type of pedal for inspection and repair if required. If your car comes in for a recall accelerator issue and you have unsecured, non genuine mats in the car, then they will be removed and placed in the boot and you will be informed

In relation to your water pump question, part numbers change all the time, its how things evolve, a better type of seal was probably fitted or a slightly better design, as my old apprentice teacher once told me "if things dont change, they will stay as they are" so if water pumps and countless other things did not evolve, we would all still be going round on horse and carts ;) :horse:

Of the 26 reported cases I'd like to know the following in the interest of being accurate - 1. Where does this number of 26 originate from. 2. of the 26 reported cases howm many were reported investigated and confirmed? - Toyotas have EDR's in them it shouldn't be too hard - any videos of a sticking pedal - or just claims - I can't think of one recall ever were a mechanic couldn't display a defective part of a recalled car - except in this case.

#69 Parts-King

Parts-King

AUTHORISED TOC TRADER

• Authorised Trader
  • 10,010 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

Of the 26 reported cases I'd like to know the following in the interest of being accurate - 1. Where does this number of 26 originate from. 2. of the 26 reported cases howm many were reported investigated and confirmed? - Toyotas have EDR's in them it shouldn't be too hard - any videos of a sticking pedal - or just claims - I can't think of one recall ever were a mechanic couldn't display a defective part of a recalled car - except in this case.

I can't find the info anywhere on Toyota's site now :eek: but did find the same number reported in the press

http://www.timesonli...icle7012913.ece
Toyota has admitted to knowing of 26 incidents involving defective pedals in Europe. It had reports of incidents in the winter of 2008-09 but the cases of accelerator pedals “stiffening” were treated as a “quality” issue, not a “safety” issue. Its recall in Europe came last week after a renewed number of incidents this winter.

2. of the 26 reported cases howm many were reported investigated and confirmed?

Sorry - No idea, perhaps point that question to Toyota directly, they would be the only people able to answer that

#70 Toyota PR

Toyota PR

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Toyota Model: Most of them, especially 1/43 scale Minichamps, Ebbro and Ixo

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

The 26 number comes from the number of Field Technical Reports that were made in Europe before the recall was started (and the media went bananas).

It's both an important and meaningless number: it shows, I think, how few cases are needed for Toyota to spot a trend and take action, but we have generally accepted any customer's self-diagnosis. For example, many people who have reported the problem since the story was headline news have cars fitted with completely different pedals, some even have throttle cables. We have been dealing with each case, not trying to hide behind any numbers, etc.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users