Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cleaning Your Egr Valve

wastedagen

Normally i'm on the Auris threads but now my dad has just bought himself a Yaris 1.4 D4D SR, so i'll be loitering around here too.

So I would like to add this link from the Auris side about the need to check your EGR Valves. Providing the Diesel Yaris's have them.

. Plenty of pics too. I posted my findings at Post#31. I can't believe the amount of crud thats built up.

As soon as I pay pops another visit, i'll be cleaning his Valve too..... :drool:

Hi wastedagen!

Can you please post pictures where his the EGR in the 1.4 D4D engine, and how to unmount and clean it ?

Thank's

Cheers

The throttle body is attachment 1.

And it is connected to the EGR valve..Attachment 2

Which is the rusty metal cylinder with a golden top…

Another view of the throttle body.. Attachment 3

The really dirty one is the throttle body.

Note to me: look at it sometime..(but so far touch wood!)

Above and to the right of the alternator.

The method of removal is : just disconnect all hoses and wires.. noting where they go and unbolt them…

post-22688-1265311906_thumb.jpg

post-22688-1265311966_thumb.jpg

post-22688-1265311991_thumb.jpg

It seem much more dificult to access EGR valve in the 1.4 D4D, than in other engines... like the 2.2 D4D.

If someone can do a full job picture about cleaning it, that would be nice ;)

• 2 weeks later...
The throttle body is attachment 1.

And it is connected to the EGR valve..Attachment 2

Which is the rusty metal cylinder with a golden top…

Another view of the throttle body.. Attachment 3

The really dirty one is the throttle body.

Note to me: look at it sometime..(but so far touch wood!)

Above and to the right of the alternator.

The method of removal is : just disconnect all hoses and wires.. noting where they go and unbolt them…

Not wishing to cast any doubt on anyone here, but if the bit you're referring to is the EGR valve, what's the bit that is referred to as an EGR valve in this thread? http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68977

Sorry for the silly question - I really don't know much about these engines yet! :rolleyes:

The weather is foul - more snow, the Garage is warm with a calor gas heater on, so I cleaned my EGR valve and my throttle body Assembly and took photos- until the batteries ran out. As I use only Shell petrol the valves were quite clean.

Picture 1 is the EGR valve.

And picture 2 the inside after cleaning - with carburettor cleaner

Picture 3 is the throttle body...

And then the batteries died.

To remove both you need:

10mm socket

12 mm socket

12 mm ring spanner - the lower bolt on the throttle body.

Cross headed screwdriver - to remove the throttle hose to air cooler.

universal joint for socket set - some bolts are difficult to reach.

I had to remove the clip holding the air conditioning hose to the front crossmember in able to access the lower bolts on the throttle body..

I cleaned everything, left them unassembled but cleaned over lunch allowing all vapour from the carb cleaner to evaporate and reassembled after lunch. Started first time with a 2 second rattle from the solvent fumes ... and then normal..

post-22688-1266678409_thumb.jpg

post-22688-1266678550_thumb.jpg

post-22688-1266678597_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Afternoon old thread but I think I may have the problem of a stuck/dirty EGR.

Tthe throttle housing was completley blocked up, so I have cleaned that up and it makes it a million times better. So I went onto check te EGR.

The EGR boby does not seem overly blocked up, but how do I know if the value is opening / closing (i.e. functioning correctly).

There seems to be a metal disc that sits between the inlet / outlet holes, with a metal shaft coming from the top. but nothing moves. If I blow into the lower hole, then air will come out of the upper and vice-versa. Does this indicate that it is ok or broken or dirty?

Many thanks to anyone who can advise on how one knows when an EGR is actually clean enough.

R

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links