Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Prius Brakes Releasing If You Hit Pot Holes!

DaronB

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7...re-upgrade.html

Telegraph now reporting UK owners of the GenIII can get a voluntary software patch

BBC World Service called us last night and did a short interview with my wife regarding the issue, she explained that she loves her car and has been driving Toyota cars for the last 5 years without issues, she also told them that her major complaint like many others have pointed out here is Toyotas denial that a problem exists when its clear they know only too well. Up to this point we have been fobbed off every time we reported this (which has been since Aug 09) with the excuse 'your the first to report this and there is nothing on the Toyota system to indicate any issues with Prius brakes so there is nothing we can do'

As Timberwolf said if Toyota would give its customers an honest answer to the issue (or even a call to say they are looking into it) and can I point out that even after contacting our dealer last week again we still have not had a phonecall from him or Toyota concerning the problem or any possible explaination or solution, I do agree with most its been badly handled.

My wife has just told me that a recall has now been 'officially announced' on the news.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grumpy Cabbie

• wooski

• Fujisan

• DaronB

Recall now announced at 6:30am UK time today

THIRD-GENERATION PRIUS RECALL ANNOUNCEMENT

Toyota today announced a global recall on the latest, third-generation Prius built before 27 January 2010. This will involve 8,500 cars in the UK.

To date, there have been no accidents linked to this issue reported in Europe.

No other Toyota or Lexus models are affected by this latest recall action in Europe.

Toyota GB would like to apologise to its customers for any concern this issue has caused.

The recall is being taken in response to reports of inconsistent brake feel during slow and steady braking on bumpy or slick road surfaces when the anti-lock braking system (ABS) is actuated.

This recall will consist of a software upgrade in the anti-lock braking system. The procedure will be carried out free of charge and will take approximately 40 minutes using standard test equipment in use at all authorised Toyota service centres.

In keeping with VOSA’s code of practice, Toyota will write individually to every owner or keeper in the next few days having obtained their contact details from the DVLA.

In the meantime, the cars are safe to drive. At no time are drivers without brakes.

Toyota GB guarantees to every customer its utmost attention to making this upgrade as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the above, please ring Toyota Customer Relations on 0800 1388 744 or visit our website at www.toyota.co.uk for updates.

ENDS

Recall now announced at 6:30am UK time today

THIRD-GENERATION PRIUS RECALL ANNOUNCEMENT

Toyota today announced a global recall on the latest, third-generation Prius built before 27 January 2010. This will involve 8,500 cars in the UK.

To date, there have been no accidents linked to this issue reported in Europe.

No other Toyota or Lexus models are affected by this latest recall action in Europe.

Toyota GB would like to apologise to its customers for any concern this issue has caused.

The recall is being taken in response to reports of inconsistent brake feel during slow and steady braking on bumpy or slick road surfaces when the anti-lock braking system (ABS) is actuated.

This recall will consist of a software upgrade in the anti-lock braking system. The procedure will be carried out free of charge and will take approximately 40 minutes using standard test equipment in use at all authorised Toyota service centres.

In keeping with VOSA’s code of practice, Toyota will write individually to every owner or keeper in the next few days having obtained their contact details from the DVLA.

In the meantime, the cars are safe to drive. At no time are drivers without brakes.

Toyota GB guarantees to every customer its utmost attention to making this upgrade as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the above, please ring Toyota Customer Relations on 0800 1388 744 or visit our website at www.toyota.co.uk for updates.

ENDS

Thanks for the above post. Puts our minds at rest and I look forward to getting my recall notice asap so I can put my customers minds at rest too. :unsure:

The one concern I have and others have also judging by some of the posts on this thread is that Toyota have denied that this problem existed in the UK or that no one had reported it before when clearly this was not the case. I'm not saying anyone was lying, but that perhaps the reports from customers weren't making to Toyota HQ. Now one could look at this two ways, the cynical way or a more constructive way. What are the reporting channels within Toyota if I should notice a similar problem in future with my car? How confident can I or other Prius or Toyota owners be that their vehicle safety concerns make it to the top of the tree or to the relevant department?

Could there be an overhaul of the system or a tweak be needed? Could Toyota go over and above the minimum legal requirements here and use it as a positive marketing tool? One of the reasons I thought about buying a Toyota was the positive words I'd heard about my local dealer and they weren't proved wrong either. In fact their wonderful service was one of the main reasons I bought the Prius as I thought these people were people I could do business with and more imortantly - trust.

Looking at the reporting system, in some ways it is not surprising that Toyota were not aware of the "problem" as dealers will not have had much to report - being a softwre issue, there is no flood of parts being ordered under warranty! With nothing on their database, individual dealers would look - see no issue and happily fob customers off!

I agree with Grumpy Cabbie that "the system" perhaps needs to be looked at - Dealers should have a mechanism for reporting general feedback from customers - more chance of picking up software issues!

Also, it doesn't take much effort to surf the various blogs (like this one) - if Toyota had been monitoring customer feedback in the blogs, they would have been aware of the "known problem" amongst the user community, even without feeback via the delariships.

hear hear :)

I am always asked about the car by customers and a good way of describing it is "it's a computer with a car attached".

So no recalls for Gen 2 Prius with exactly the same problem? :(

We have two GEN 2 Prius cars in our family and had no problems. Posing have you reported your concerns to your dealer?

Looking at the reporting system, in some ways it is not surprising that Toyota were not aware of the "problem" as dealers will not have had much to report - being a softwre issue, there is no flood of parts being ordered under warranty! With nothing on their database, individual dealers would look - see no issue and happily fob customers off!

I agree with Grumpy Cabbie that "the system" perhaps needs to be looked at - Dealers should have a mechanism for reporting general feedback from customers - more chance of picking up software issues!

Also, it doesn't take much effort to surf the various blogs (like this one) - if Toyota had been monitoring customer feedback in the blogs, they would have been aware of the "known problem" amongst the user community, even without feeback via the delariships.

Of course people from Toyota monitor these forums. This issue has been discussed on Priuschat for a long time and Toyota will certainly have been well aware of that. You also know they have as they quietly developed a software change and implemented it on the production line last month. What astounds me is not the problem itself but the denial of it. How someone thought Toyota would get away with that I have no idea. Especially once the information about the production change in January got out. From then on a recall and egg on face was inevitable.

We need to remember that whilst the Prius is a bit of a "niche" car in the UK its the best selling car in Japan, and has been since the Gen 3 was released.

Of course people from Toyota monitor these forums. This issue has been discussed on Priuschat for a long time and Toyota will certainly have been well aware of that. You also know they have as they quietly developed a software change and implemented it on the production line last month. What astounds me is not the problem itself but the denial of it. How someone thought Toyota would get away with that I have no idea. Especially once the information about the production change in January got out. From then on a recall and egg on face was inevitable.

True - they must have had a solution on the stocks for a while.... Just giving them the benefit of the doubt :P

I must admit to being puzzled about the whole business.

I picked up the Gen 3 T-Spirit in September. It is now running up to 4000 miles on the clock and I have never once experienced the phenomenon that is being described.

I have wondered whether it is just that I have never been in the situation that generates the effect and so this morning, needing to go to our local town, a round trip of about fourteen miles, I decided to do my best to generate the effect. I looked for uneven road surfaces and shallow potholes (there are plenty to choose from) and I drove through them at speeds varying from around 30 m.p.h. down to 10 m.p.h. I did it facing uphill and facing downhill. I braked just before the road imperfection and held the brake pressure until I cleared the imperfection. I braked gently and I braked quite hard. Altogether I did it about twelve or fifteen times.

The result; absolutely nothing unexpected. I just cannot reproduce the effect that others are describing . . . . . . :huh:

As I've said before in other posts, it doesn't seem to happen with all vehicles. I have done nearly 10k miles now and it has only happened to me about 4 times. The worst time was braking over a pile of wet leaves back in November time.

Just be glad you're not experiencing it and hopefully the recall will make it even harder for you to experience said problem.

I picked up the Gen 3 T-Spirit in September. It is now running up to 4000 miles on the clock and I have never once experienced the phenomenon that is being described.

I have wondered whether it is just that I have never been in the situation that generates the effect and so this morning, needing to go to our local town, a round trip of about fourteen miles, I decided to do my best to generate the effect. I looked for uneven road surfaces and shallow potholes (there are plenty to choose from) and I drove through them at speeds varying from around 30 m.p.h. down to 10 m.p.h. I did it facing uphill and facing downhill. I braked just before the road imperfection and held the brake pressure until I cleared the imperfection. I braked gently and I braked quite hard. Altogether I did it about twelve or fifteen times.

The result; absolutely nothing unexpected. I just cannot reproduce the effect that others are describing . . . . . . :huh:

I've done about the same mileage and only experienced it for the one and only time last week. You're not alone! Just shows you how blown up it is in the press with their "get Toyota" and especially "get the Prius" agendas.

Ive experienced it many times....usuallly, when approaching a roundabout or junction that has a pothole or alike just by it.

If you've never experienced the 'sensation' before, don't worry about it - Stay happy :)

I haven't experienced this either. Or at least I don't think I have. I just hope the change doesn't bugger something else up...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links