Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Brakes Rusting After 2 Years?

macphee70

I've just got my Auris back from its 2 year service, only done 16,000 miles on it.

Last summer I noticed that the breaks were starting to squeal but over the winter its been fine.

I mentioned it to the garage before the service so that they could have a look, they've said that all 4 pads and discs have rust round the side of them and that it will be about £165 to get it cleaned off.

Surely a 2 year old car shouldn't be suffering from corrosion already? Should I be able to get this fixed under the warranty or will I have to fork out the cash or live with the noise.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

this sounds like a common fault thats been reported from all the auris models, right from the T2 all the way up to the almight T180/SR180. Its up to you. IF you can live with the noise then great but if not then it might be something you might have to pay out for. As being able to get it fixed under the warranty then you would have to discuss this with MR T or one of the advisors at your local toyota garage.

Breaks rust. 1 year or 10 year, they rust. The less you use them, the more they rust. If you let the car sit for too long, they rust. Drive it every day and it wont be a problem

My aurus has just had it's first service and the garage said the discs head rust around the edges. Being made of steel I was not supprised. It also explained the screaching noise comming from the breaks as I reverse on the driveway.

It also explained the screaching noise comming from the breaks as I reverse on the driveway.

Is that noise really loud? Not the same one which you can usually hear when some cars approach red lights? If it's loud, like metal against metal sound, not just ordinary weak squeak, then I think I have rust too... :unsure:

Best regards, Alex

Over the last 3 years and 30k+ miles mine has had this problem twice. First time the discs and pads were changed under warranty and the last time the garage machined of the rust and de-glassed the discs under warranty. Car was collected and returned to my home with a courtesy car left in it's place.

All brake discs do rust. Even overnight! It is a clean raw steel surface that you leave open to atmospheric conditions with absolutely no protection. In the morning, especially during autumn-winter period, for the first few kilometres, the brakes do make some grinding sound. But brake few times, they will clean and everything should be OK.

I had it with all cars, despite of brand. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But not to the extent of need of cleaning. Maybe it is your humid British climate? And since you are on an Island, the sea salt? You have problems with rusting wheel bolts etc. Do you have it with other cars?

BTW does anyone know the size of Auris wheel nuts (length, diameter)? The factory fitted rusted away completely and there is no point getting them from Toyota.

It also explained the screaching noise comming from the breaks as I reverse on the driveway.

Is that noise really loud? Not the same one which you can usually hear when some cars approach red lights? If it's loud, like metal against metal sound, not just ordinary weak squeak, then I think I have rust too... :unsure:

Best regards, Alex

More of a deep loud grone. Only sometimes.

The only real complaint I have with the brakes is the dust sticking to the wheels, especially the rear wheels.

Best regards, Alex

More of a deep loud grone. Only sometimes.

The only real complaint I have with the brakes is the dust sticking to the wheels, especially the rear wheels.

Change to non-dusting brake pads and use Autoglym wheel sealer regularly.

All brake discs do rust. Even overnight! It is a clean raw steel surface that you leave open to atmospheric conditions with absolutely no protection. In the morning, especially during autumn-winter period, for the first few kilometres, the brakes do make some grinding sound. But brake few times, they will clean and everything should be OK.

I had it with all cars, despite of brand. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But not to the extent of need of cleaning. Maybe it is your humid British climate? And since you are on an Island, the sea salt? You have problems with rusting wheel bolts etc. Do you have it with other cars?

Yes I agree ! All my cars with alloy wheels that enable me to see the brakes have shown rusty discs but clean up with use. My Landcruiser was as bad as my Rav4, Previa, Corolla, and Auris! :P

I've just got my Auris back from its 2 year service, only done 16,000 miles on it.

Last summer I noticed that the breaks were starting to squeal but over the winter its been fine.

I mentioned it to the garage before the service so that they could have a look, they've said that all 4 pads and discs have rust round the side of them and that it will be about £165 to get it cleaned off.

Surely a 2 year old car shouldn't be suffering from corrosion already? Should I be able to get this fixed under the warranty or will I have to fork out the cash or live with the noise.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

I don't think you can link squeaky brakes with rusty brakes.

Cosmetic corrosion is not a functional fault, it does not detract form the performance of the brakes, as such it is not warrantable. It is Cr@p and gives a poor image, :angry: but as mentioned earlier, all brakes will rust on the edges it is cast iron disc, untreated etc... so they will rust , fact of life, but cast iron discs are better choice for brake performance...

if the rust was the cause of squeaky brakes then there would be a reasons to claim under warranty and get it done free of charge.

The fact that you are being charged for cleaning the rust means they are offering you this option if you are personally concerned about the appearance.

i think this is situation you are facing right now... :(

I would say that if your brakes are squeaky, you have grounds to request a repair under warranty for that specific issue. I did and after 3 attempts, i have had brake pads and new caliper housings provided under warranty.

Now the problem has gone for the last 4 months... yay!

• 1 month later...

All steel discs rust around the edge and garages love to use this as an excuse to get you to buy new ones along with the other classic line "your discs are scored", which is a result of pad material not being 100% homogeneous. Don't worry about either. As for squeaking pads the standard technique is to apply some copper grease (carefully) to the back of the pad - I do this anyway when changing pads but have re-applied after sometime when the squeaking returned on my last car (I'm talking 75k miles later - I'm light on my brakes and there was still life left in them).

Squeeky Squeely Rusty Brakes?

Ive owned many many Toyotas over the years. Current one 9k miles Auris 2008 model T-Spirit in Black.

I took it back to dealer because of this problem they fitted new rear brake calipers under warranty 300 miles later same problem.

The cure is simple, strip the back brakes spray clean with brake cleaner (aerosol)coat the back of pads with plenty of copper grease reassemble and problem cured.

Next time you replace pads get a business pad / hard wearing and longer lasting, EBC green pads good too.

Toyota still has to be the most reliable motor cars in the world stick with it you wont regret it.

• 3 years later...

Auris under extended factory warranty, bought from the dealer. I made this audio file a few months after purchase. Roughly 65K (kilometers) driven.

!!!CAUTION!!!

Lower your Speakers volume when you play this file as it is one of the most anoying sounds in the world. Not kidding.

In this audio clip, that I recorded via mobile phone, I am driving less than 10 km/h (traffic jam), window rolled down, phone sticking out of the window. 30+ seconds of agony. And no, I am not touching my brakes.

I noticed already one particular time (month) earlier that I could generate squeeks when I turned the wheel completely in 1 direction and backed up. But I couldn't reproduce the squeeking the next day anymore, so I thought to keep an eye(ear) on it before I return to the dealer explaining a problem that I couldn't reproduce...

I took it (after I recorded the sound) the next day to the maintenance section at the dealer and produced the sound from my phone... The mechanic said it was common with Auris. He fixed the problem. I walked in on the work in progress, where I saw him removing the last wheel (rear), removing the caliper, removing the brake pads and sanding the outer regions of the pads with an air grinder, and putting them back in place with some grease on both ends.

I hope it helps anyone identifying their problem.

Auris_Brakes.mp3

How much of this is just the brakes bedding in? I had new front discs and greenstuff pads fitted to my Yaris and after a while it developed a constant cyclic squeak for a few dozen miles but has been ground out by after more braking.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2012 Auris 1.33 petrol and it went in for its 2 year service today (it's only done 11,900 miles). I was informed the front discs were badly corroded on the inner faces and to change would be £190. I declined. It appears that corroding Auris discs are a known problem...so hopefully my warranty claim will be upheld. By the way my car is driven every day although not long distances but still this should keep things clean. It did on my Avensis!!!!

I'm on my second Auris 1.33 - and not had any issues so far with rusting discs

I had the same problem at the two year service on my Auris at roughly the same milleage. Told the front discs needed grinding to remove corrosion. £90. Took it to another main dealer, told that there was nothing wrong with them. Just do a bit of heavy braking, (when save to do so) to keep them clean. Two years later and 22k passed M.O.T, still on the same discs.

High time they brought back drum brakes and put a stop to all this nonsense. I had a Mk2 Ford Consul with drum brakes all round, fronts had nice wide shoes with snail cam adjusters for each shoe on the back plate. Could adjust them up perfect, great pedal, good bite, no fade and no need for a servo. Ahhhhh those were the days.

High time they brought back drum brakes and put a stop to all this nonsense. I had a Mk2 Ford Consul with drum brakes all round, fronts had nice wide shoes with snail cam adjusters for each shoe on the back plate. Could adjust them up perfect, great pedal, good bite, no fade and no need for a servo. Ahhhhh those were the days.

and remove ABS, VSC, traction control etc etc??? Hardly advancing road safety surely?

Ford Consul MkII - 59bhp from a 1703cc engine, 3 speed gearbox (synchro on 2nd and top), leaf sprung rear suspension, 75mph top speed, 0-60 in 29 seconds and average 24mpg approx.

Ford%20Consul%20Mk2%20(1).jpg

And which part of ABS, VSC and traction control would not work simply because the braking system was drum brakes instead of disc?

Frosty, you forgot to mention the vacuum wipers, the manual choke, the points, plugs & tappets every 5,000 miles plus the grease points on the track control arm ball joints and the propshaft etc etc etc. It could still seat 6 people in comfort and it had a huge rear window to see out of when reversing.