Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sitting Comfortably

Al Otment

Hi all,

This is probably going to sound daft... but I can't sit comfortably in my Yaris... I'm a 5ft 4 female, and have decided these cars are built for men with long legs! I have a 56 plate MMT model, and my right knee keeps hitting the steering column. I've tried adjusting the seat and the steering column, but nothing seems to help.

Does anyone else have this problem, please?

Thanks.

I have had students in my (now retired) Yaris school car and found many needed a cushion to sit on... I used a square one, from a garden centre but you can buy purpose made ones for around 20 quid.

You may find if the back of your botty is higher, you have a better driving angle so can get a more comfortable drive.

Mine was an 02 phase 1 Yaris, I must add. I now have a Skoda Fabia, with adjustable seat hight, more adjustability in the steering column and a moer powerful engine, suited to learners/new drivers.

Still love my own phase 1 Automatic Yaris, though!!!!

So despite morving the seat back and forth (further from the steering wheel and closer to it), moving the seat up and down and also adjusting the rake of the steering wheel (up and down) you still can't get comfortable?

You must be a really special and sexy female then! Sit in it at the weekend on a flat surface and try every position you can think of and have a look in the manual for how to adjust the seat if you're not sure.

I have had students in my (now retired) Yaris school car and found many needed a cushion to sit on... I used a square one, from a garden centre but you can buy purpose made ones for around 20 quid.

You may find if the back of your botty is higher, you have a better driving angle so can get a more comfortable drive.

Mine was an 02 phase 1 Yaris, I must add. I now have a Skoda Fabia, with adjustable seat hight, more adjustability in the steering column and a moer powerful engine, suited to learners/new drivers.

Still love my own phase 1 Automatic Yaris, though!!!!

Thanks... will try a cushion... I've had an Automatic Peugeot 205, and until recently an Automatic Polo, and both were more comfy than this Yaris! Not sure I like this MMT business either :( Interesting what you say about the Fabia. Thanks again.

Do you have a Yaris or an Aygo Plus...? :unsure:

Apologies... I've now changed my Profile info... I bought a new Aygo under the scrappage scheme in November, which leaked on Day 2. After 2 attempts to sort it, the garage agreed to change it for a 56 Yaris with very low mileage, hence 2 different cars in 2 months!!

We've had a Mk1 2000 Yaris and now have a 2008 new-shape Yaris and my wife and daughter are fine in both. My wife's only 5' 0" and my daughter's 5' 4" (and I'm 5' 8").

We haven't any problems getting set up befind the wheel - although my wife and daughter both had issues with the Renault Clio - they couldn't get set up in that without banging their knees on the dash....

Does it have seat height adjustment?

With steering rake and reach, seat height adjustment (if fitted on your model) I’m surprised you can’t get a comfortable driving position.

I am 4 foot 11 and drive a Toyota Yaris Phase 1 mark II T3 and find the driving position much better than my old Ford Ka, I frequently had to sit on a cushion in that but have never had to in my Yaris, I also find it much comfier and easier on my joints than my Ka (I have bursitis and osteoarthritis).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links