Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mmt Fail To Detect N-neutral Position At Startup

mumcu

Hi guys,

I have a 2005 Yaris MMT and have the following problem.

The gearbox controller or gearbox seems not to detect N-neutral position properly before engine startup.

In order to startup the engine, I press the brake pedal and shift the control lever to N position. But the indicator still shows that the gear is E-1. Then I turn-off the ignition key and set it to on position again. It now detects N-Neutral position properly and I manage to start the engine. Please also note that while I was turning the ignition key to off position I see that N is displayed just before the display is turned off.

Another observation is that my car does not move slowly as before if the gear is E-1 and driver does not press the accelerator pedal.

What may the cause of this problem?. Is this a sign of a catastrophic gearbox problem?

Any help or recommendation will be great.

Thanks

I was recently in a similar situation with an 06 Yaris T. Mine would not move forwards or backwards with the engine started and eventually, after turning off the engine, the whole syatem failed. I was rescued via the Toyota club RAC recovery people

who managed to restart the vehicle by DISCONNECTING THE Battery, leaving it for a few minutes and then reconnecting the Battery.

The suggestion was that the disruption to the system would allow it to reset itself ... and in my case, it did. Nevertheless, I drove straight to the Toyots dealer and have left the car for examination. You should be aware that this action is in no way a guaranteed solution and I am simply reporting what happened ... not recommending it.

Thank you very much for your reply.

What is the result of examination. Is power on reset via disconnecting Battery the only action?

Thanks again and have a nice day

I was recently in a similar situation with an 06 Yaris T. Mine would not move forwards or backwards with the engine started and eventually, after turning off the engine, the whole syatem failed. I was rescued via the Toyota club RAC recovery people

who managed to restart the vehicle by DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY, leaving it for a few minutes and then reconnecting the battery.

The suggestion was that the disruption to the system would allow it to reset itself ... and in my case, it did. Nevertheless, I drove straight to the Toyots dealer and have left the car for examination. You should be aware that this action is in no way a guaranteed solution and I am simply reporting what happened ... not recommending it.

As far as I could see, after reconnection he simply turned the starter key and she started. All the gears worked and I was able to drive away.

I expect to hear tomorrow what the actual problem was and I'll post to you. All the same, you could try the disconnection; at worst you will be in the same position you are now, I suppose. But I have to emphasize, I am only reporting my particular experience, I am not sufficiently knowledgable to say it is the answer.

I now know what my particular problem was. It appears that the actuator was faulty. It is an electronic component that defines

the gears required for whatever situation requires the gear to change. Fortunately it was covered by the Toyota guarantee but it would have been expensive had it not been.

Best I can do for you; Good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links