Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie - Which Yaris

johnny1972

Guys,

I'm a newbie on the forum who wants to purcase a Yaris, I only have approx £3000 to spend,

the question I pose is, do I go for the 1.0 vvti or the diesel, I will be doing a drive from

Manchester to Pembrokeshire - Pembrokeshire to Manchester every 8 days, 60 miles are

motorway & 140 A roads.

Cost is an issue & want to keep running cost as low as possible...

My worry is that the 1.0 vvti will struggle on the journey, would it be best to go for the diesel??

I understand that you may have answered this question before, but plaese can you help again,

as I have a tight timescale & cannot look through pages and pages of info.... :wacko:

All help would be greatly appreciated...

Johnny.

The Yaris will run and run and run!

Check this one out on YouTube, 400,000 miles in 3½ years :eek:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

The reliability is the reason for going for a Yaris, but should it be the 1.0vvti or the diesel,

with the type of milage I will be doing....

Cheers.....

For the sort of mileage you'll be doing, especially long motorway journeys, I'd go for a diesel if you can.

Even disregarding costs, I'd go for the diesel for the extra motorway refinement. The 1.0 will rev much more and that will be wearing on long regular motorway trips.

The 1.0 will be doing 4000 rpm at motorway speeds and the diesel only 2500 rpm, so will be much more relaxed cruising....

On top of that, the diesel will give you much better economy and also performance. Until the new 1.33 engine was announced for 2009, the diesel was the most powerful version of the normal Yaris range and had the fastest acceleration (ignoring the "sport" 1.5 and 1.8 models which are not mainstream.....)

Not that there's anything wrong with the 1.0, but its much more suited to use as a city car than spending the majority of its time at motorway speeds.

If you had no choice, I'm sure the 1.0 would be fine, but if you have a choice, go for a diesel for your type of use.

We had a 1.0 and it certainly didn't struggle. Its fine at 70-80 mph and there wasn't any issue with motorway hills or keeping up with the traffic - its just that the diesel will be much for refined for long motorway trips...

with the limited budget, I guess you ae looking at an early-ish Yaris? If diesel is out of your price range, go for the best condition 1.3 you can find. Higher spec will be better value/comfort, too! If an early one, a GLS min, try to get a Japanese built one, rather then French. CDX's always had good reveiws for spec and quality but later versions used more confusing Badge levels. I think you will be looking at a Phase two, at the latest, not the new Yaris, for this money.

[if running costs matter, diesel VED is $35... but insurance will be more I suspect...depending on trim level...

For 7 years we´ve owned 1.3 Yaris with 87HP. It is superb, I would prefer it over 1.0 petrol engine anytime. However you will probably burn 1,5-2.0L/100km less fuel with diesel. Also diesel cars have bigger milleage for the same price and will cost you more for servicing. So if you will do less than 20.000km per year I would go for 1.3L petrol.

On top of that, the diesel will give you much better economy and also performance. Until the new 1.33 engine was announced for 2009, the diesel was the most powerful version of the normal Yaris range and had the fastest acceleration (ignoring the "sport" 1.5 and 1.8 models which are not mainstream.....)

Not strictly true.

The 0-60 time of the 1.33 is 11.7, the diesel is 10.7. (taken from toyota.co.uk)

the pre 2009 5 speed diesel is also quicker to 60 than the 6 spd, assumingly due to gear ratios (book figure was 10.4)

I tested both the 1.3 and the diesel and chose the diesel. Sometimes miss the revs, but in all other respects the diesel owns.

For £3000 you could get a nice Jappie 1.3sr like mine :D

Plenty grunt for the M/Way, quite low on insurance, 0-60 in just under 10secs, colour coded bumpers, TTE rear spoiler and back box, air-con, leccy windows, cd player, met paint, remote central locking and brilliant MPG. ;)

Guys,

I'm a newbie on the forum who wants to purcase a Yaris, I only have approx £3000 to spend,

the question I pose is, do I go for the 1.0 vvti or the diesel, I will be doing a drive from

Manchester to Pembrokeshire - Pembrokeshire to Manchester every 8 days, 60 miles are

motorway & 140 A roads.

Cost is an issue & want to keep running cost as low as possible...

My worry is that the 1.0 vvti will struggle on the journey, would it be best to go for the diesel??

I understand that you may have answered this question before, but plaese can you help again,

as I have a tight timescale & cannot look through pages and pages of info.... :wacko:

All help would be greatly appreciated...

Johnny.

I have a Yaris TS 1.5 and on the motorway its very kind on petrol. Went from Bradford to Blackburn and back and barely used anything. Must of been just 1 bar on the petrol gage. I do believe that on motorway travels I get about 45mpg if not more depending if I stick to 70mph.

The 1.0 will struggle on the motorway with petrol just cause of the lack of power and that if you have to go from 50-70 at any point you'll have to rev it pretty hard.

Out of the 1.4D or the 1.0 petrol I would get the diesel put I would look into either getting a 1.3 or the 1.5 TS.

The diesel is waaaay nicer to drive than the 1.0L in the motorway (IMHO!).

With normal driving, you should be able to drag MPG in the mid-60's/low-70's out of it. If you drive like me, you can get it up to the high 70's on a motorway trip :D

(But you'll also get Eddie Stobarts and NatEx's overtaking you all the time which is less good :P)

Tax is Band C (£35), insurance group is 4E and maintenance is not usually too expensive, even if you go to Toyota!

The biggest problem you might have is finding a 1.4 D4D in decent nick at that price; The diesel ones, esp. 5-door ones, are rare as hell unless you don't mind them having done over 100,000 miles, and those ones you need to check things like the anti-roll bar bushes, the clutch, the CV joints etc.. so you don't get any nasty post-sale surprises.

To be fair tho', the diesel Yaris has coped quite well so 100,000 miles isn't actually that bad, esp. if the car has been looked after (Check the service history!) and if those are mostly motorway miles.

I'd recommend you get one at least 2003 as they ironed out all the problems by that year ;) :thumbsup::lol:

There are loads of 1.0 and 1.3 petrol ones for £3k, but a good diesel one will be harder, esp. if you're a bit picky about the trim (I had a bugger of a time because I wanted a sunroof which is only on the CDX and T-Spirit models!)

The 1.0 will be okay in a pinch, but you'll have to be insanely patient on the motorway 'cause you can't just floor the accelerator to overtake people; You need spot a big enough gap, then back off to open up a gap to the car in front so the speed can build to match the lane gap you're trying to get into, and if you get stuck behind some poor sap doing 40mpg it can be really tough (At least this was my experience in my old Fiesta which, despite having a 1.3L engine, was slightly less powerful than the 1.0L Yaris!! :lol:)

For that reason alone, I'd rather take the 1.3 or D4D over the 1.0 for any significant motorway usage; They both have much better acceleration in the 50-70 region and will allow you to sweep out to overtake and back in again without having to wait for a huge gap or causing a danger to all the 75+ people in the middle lane :)

(Obviously if you drive at 70-80^H^H77 :D all the time anyway, the 1.0 will probably be fine, but the fuel economy will be horrible :( )

Any modern diesel is waaaay nicer to drive than even a 1.5 T-Sport on the motorway.

Brilliant replies guys....

Like I said most of the miles are A roads to Pembrokeshire, with only about 60 miles are Motorway...

I'm hopefully testing a 02 1.0vvti with 39,000 miles (Low :)) this weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes....

I was thinking of the 1.0, to keep tax, insurance & petrol costs as low as possible,

as it is purely to get me from A to B as cheep as poss, but obviously I'd like to

get their as easy as poss too.....

Please keep any other comments coming, you have been sooooo helpful so far.....

Cheers

Johnny.

The diesel is deffo the cheapest to run; The main downside is that it's the most expensive to buy by far and it's how long it takes to recoup that cost.

You can probably pick up a decent 1.0L for 1-2K (There are loads of them!) but IMHO most of the decent diesel Yarisses are currently in the 4.5k area - That's a big gap to make up!

The diesel would be better for motorway and national speed limit roads (Mine is so much fun on undulating country roads :D Not so great if there are a lot of tight turns tho' - I agree with Cali there :unsure: )

The 1.0 is mostly fine for A-roads and better for city/town driving. (Have to be a bit more careful with the diesel; It doesn't like being stuck in slow traffic for most of its life. Mine experiences a gradual loss of power if I don't run it on the motorway or some such every now and then! It does seem to like me blasting it up a hill - Can really feel the turbo kick in :lol:)

The 1.3 is good on pretty much anything but is the most expensive to run, 'tho not by much really. You can get close to the 1.0 for fuel economy, but it takes more discipline. Also, like the 1.0 these are much easier to buy for a good price as there are loads of these on the market too!

For tax, I think the petrol Yaris' are both ~£120 vs £35 for the diesel, and for insurance my D4D is cat 4E; The 1.0's are generally cat 2E and the 1.3 varies between cat 2E and cat 5E depending on trim/spec.

For fuel use I'm getting 5-600 miles on a tank depending on how much city vs motorway driving I do. Reckon I could do 700+ if I could drive at 55-60 everywhere :lol:

Not sure what the 1.0 and 1.3 tend to get, but I'm sure others can chime in *pokes the other 8 Yaris owners and you darn Yaris lurkers letting us down in the poll!!! :P*

*Re-reading my post, I may be coming across a tiiiny bit biased towards the D4D... sorry about that :P

Good luck with the 1.0 then, hope it's a good car for you. Don't forget to test it on a dual carridgeway or even a quick m/way blast to see how it performs esp when overtaking. It should be fine though.

I think it all depends on how you drive though, i sometimes like to drive on the M/Way at 80+ for long periods (Great in my Accord with the cruise control on! :D ) and i find our Yaris fine, bit noisy with the TTE rear box but you get used to it.

The pull from the 1.3 from say 70-90 is pretty impressive though because the car is so light. I can imagine the T-Sport to be even more impressive as it has approx 20bhp more at 105bhp.

Up to you though, you buy what feels and fits best to your needs.

Good luck with whatever you get! ;)

I drive a 1.0 Yaris and I find it meets my needs fine however, my driving is mainly zipping around town with the occasional run (once a month) down the motorway and find that my car manages fine however, I have little to judge it by as my last car had a lower BHP than my Yaris. I did consider the 1.3 litre Yaris but found they were harder to get hold of, if I did lots of regular motorway miles I would most likely of gone for a 1.3litre.

Well I drove the Yaris 1.0vvti today & was really impressed, by the size inside, how comfortable the ride was, and it was a nice drive,

went first arounf the streets, then a go on dual carridgeway, then a blast on motorway, It didn't shake and it wasn't noisy, couple of niggles

with the stereo, but 4 new tyres and 37,000 mile only. Just not sure how she will cope doing a 5 hr drive to & from Pembrokeshire.

A few more questions, I'm usually pretty good at making decisions, but on this I'm a little indecisive... :huh:

How much more power/ease of acceleration does the 1.3 have compared to the 1.0?

Also, as I was accelerating in the 1.0, obviously the comp was giving me much lower Mpg as I was having to accelerate hard,

how does that compare with not having to accelerate as hard to get the same speed (if you know what I mean) :)

Cheers

Johnny.

Have a test drive of a 1.3 and then decide. I have never driven the 1.0 so i can't say how huch more acceleration the 1.3 has over the 1.0.

The BHP & Engine torque figures for the 1.3 are.....86bhp and 91 lbs/ft engine torque

The 1.0 is......68bhp and 66 lbs/ft engine torque. ;)

Hi,

3 years ago I bought a Yaris for my wife.

I didn't know anything about Toyota back then, having owned Mercedes, BMW's 3 and 5 series, and was wondering what modern smaller cars were like.

It had to be a smaller car, because she is, and a Diesel was out of the question.

She's an ex-country girl, and therefore associates Diesels with tractors: Loud, smelly and dirty....

I spend a couple of days selecting and visiting local dealers and test driving the various brands, among others Toyota.

I had a test drive in a Yaris 1.0, an 1.3 and a 1.4 Diesel... just to make sure.

Can't remember what was on their respective clocks, but all were below 60.000 Kms.

And while I was there, I did a 2.0 Avensis (T25) as well.

I must say, I was impressed... by both the Yaris'es and the Avensis, but that became later.

The 1.0 Yaris likes to be revved, the 1.3 is slightly more comfortable, quieter, has more features like airco, and has more power.

The Diesel is probably a very good choice for longer motorway trips, but is ... a Diesel. ;)

After some tough negotiating I ended up buying her an 1.0 Yaris, because she thinks airco, fog lights, electric windows etc. unnecessary and decadent features.

That is, until it got really hot in summer, and she wanted to take my car. :lol:

Anyway, I picked up a 4 year old 1.0 Yaris, 55.000 Km, 4 new tyres and a full checkup with new oil and filter as part of the deal.

She's been very happy with the car, no problems whatsoever, absolutely reliable car.

Apart from normal service, 2 new front tyres and that's all.

It's now done 165.000 Kms and no, she doesn't drive like a nun. B)

Hope this helps you choose.

I have a 2003 D4D T Spirit which I have owned for 4 years. Son has a 1.0Yaris ,2001, just purchased.

I would agree with commenst about the difficulty of finding a good D4D without over 100k miles.. they do exist but as rare as hens' teeth. Took me 6 months to find mine.

It all depends on how mean you are. Buy any s/h car for £3k and you should allow £200-500 for things going wrong outside the warranty and for service costs - because unless you know it has been serviced, first thing to do is service it.

I would say on your figures you can't afford a low mileage D4D unless you are very lucky or buy a mechanically sound but bodily slightly tatty one.

With a 6 or 7 year old car, you must assume you may need a new exhaust - rear box £30-£40 - or a catalyst £150 plus) in the near future. And unless they have been done, anti roll bar bushes..

And maybe a new auxiliary belt £20-£30 from Toyota

Do your sums carefully. is my advice

Also, as I was accelerating in the 1.0, obviously the comp was giving me much lower Mpg as I was having to accelerate hard,

how does that compare with not having to accelerate as hard to get the same speed (if you know what I mean) :)

Hmmm... well, if I floor my D4D in 5th, it needs about a second or two to get from 60 to 70. My old Fiesta needed more like 5 seconds of flooring to do the same.

Not sure how the 1.0 or 1.3 compares.

If the 1.0 feels okay tho', I'd not worry too much about that; Unless you're accelerating harshly all the time, it won't affect the mpg that much (It will still have higher mpg than the 1.3 for instance)