Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Oil Change

Eric355

My 2007 Yairs MMT transmission occasionally drops out of gear can low level in gearbox cause this

Edited by Ernesto
Mis spelt

• 1 year later...

I may be wrong but thought as it states below modern boxes don't need oil changes so there may not be a filler plug.

In a modern car, truck or SUV, it is entirely likely that the transmission fluid will never need to be changed  assuming its being properly maintained. However, an older vehicle with a couple of hundred thousand miles on the odometer will likely have vastly different maintenance needs.

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

I may be wrong but thought as it states below modern boxes don't need oil changes so there may not be a filler plug.

In a modern car, truck or SUV, it is entirely likely that the transmission fluid will never need to be changed  assuming its being properly maintained. However, an older vehicle with a couple of hundred thousand miles on the odometer will likely have vastly different maintenance needs.

This is by the books but filled for life has its limitations, if you would like to have longer life it is a good idea to change the transmission fluid at some point , however it needs to be exact same spec, preferably the oem fluid, otherwise better not to change at all. Many transmissions goes to waste after wrong type of oil been used. 

• Like 1

The last car i changed gearbox oil on was an old Fiesta it had a filler/level plug on the side of the box you filled it until it came out of the hole then that was the correct level. life was so much simpler back in the day.  🙂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

The last car i changed gearbox oil on was an old Fiesta it had a filler/level plug on the side of the box you filled it until it came out of the hole then that was the correct level. life was so much simpler back in the day.  🙂

Same with Toyota cars today’s. 👍 Here everyone can locate its model and see where the plugs are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

I cannot see anything using the link Tony.

It’s an online catalog for slate parts . Here it’s for the early models drain plug . 
33101A on the diagram https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&mdf_id=4797&area=EU&cat=116530&blk_id=3302

33111A drain plug behind, near the diff. 

👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2018 at 11:46 AM, Nick7 said:

What oil do I need to replace the gearbox oil on a 1.4 d4d mk1 ph2 fellas?

14 minutes ago, Avdush said:

2 Litres 75W-90 GL4 Manual Transmission Gearbox  Oil

For reference I've used redline mt90 in my cars (manual). More expensive than other fluids but then you wont really change it again for many years so a worthwhile investment. For  ph1 mk1 it took around 1.9 litres. I was fortunate to have had access to a 4-poster so took literally half an hour from start to finish plus had the advantage of keeping the car horizontal as opposed to jacked up on one side or another

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links