Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Rear Brakes Shoes Where To Get Parts?

kman1

Are the rear shoes different on french built vs Japanese built cars and 1.0 v 1.3? Went to Halford they said they could order the parts for me but didn't really ask too much apart from the engoine size. Will I end up with the wrong parts?

I can't help with the brake shoe size query, but be careful and make sure you try the following road test after you've changed them.

After my son had an accident in slippy wet winter conditions in our Yaris, I found that our car pulled to the left under heavy braking because the rear brakes didn't stop equally. (It took ages to find that the rear brakes were the cause of this - only after changing both front disks and pads, did we realise that the imbalance was not at the front but was at the back...).

I only found out about this issue at all because I was trying out the brakes after the accident repair to make sure it still stopped OK.

To this day, I don't know the cause of the imbalance - but stripping and reassembling the rear drum brakes fixed the problem - so there's a risk that removing the rear shoes and reassembling them might introduce the imbalance, as that's all I'd ever done previously.... (As part of DIY servicing, I'd previously removed the shoes and reinstalled them each year to make sure that the handbrake mechanism worked OK and the brake cylinder wasn't siezed or leaking.)

So, just to be sure, after you'ce changed the shoes, find a wide straight road on a good dry day and try braking very firmly from at least 50mph. As long as the car slows down in a straight line, then great, but we found that our Yaris pulled strongly to the left when braking from 50mph or higher and you want to know your car is OK before you have to do an emergency stop for real..... (Braking below this speed you couldn't tell anything was wrong...)

If anyone else has ever had their rear brakes "serviced" either by a garage or DIY, its worth doing this same brake test to make sure you're car is going to stop evenly in an emergency stop or when braking on ice....

Are the rear shoes different on french built vs Japanese built cars and 1.0 v 1.3? Went to Halford they said they could order the parts for me but didn't really ask too much apart from the engoine size. Will I end up with the wrong parts?

It appears that the shoes are different on the French models to those fitted to the Japanese ones. The Toyota part numbers confirm this 04495 - 0D020 (French 1.0ltr) and 04495 - 52040 (French 1.3ltr) Year 2001

04495 - 59020 (Japanese both 1.0 & 1.3ltr) Year 2000

They cost approx £30 from Toyota.

Info from ToyoDIY.com

Hope that helps.

£18+vat from the totoyta dealer what a bargain!

Any advice on setting up the rear brakes? I don't think the self adjusters work that well on this model.

Reason I want to get the rear done it that the brakes have not been feeling as strong recently and in my MOT last week the tester said rear efficiency was 56% which was low but still a pass. I did strip the rears down before the MOT and to be honest the shoes were not that worn about 3mm of lining left. However as it's a 2002 car with 40k which we've had from nearly new I know the brakes have never been replaced not even front pads. Perhaps the car would benefit from a full brake service front and rear?

If you change the front brakes it will be loads better that's true. I changed mine last year, fitted standard Toyota discs & pads, cleaned up the rears aswell and the difference was instantly noticable! :D Now the brakes are very strong, better than it's ever been.

Not cheap for Toyota replacement front discs & pads but worth the money i think.

I've not had to replace the rear shoes in mine yet so i can't help, but if you get a Haynes manual it should all be in there and it shouldn't be that difficult.

maybe your brake fluid needs changing aswell?

If you change the front brakes it will be loads better that's true. I changed mine last year, fitted standard Toyota discs & pads, cleaned up the rears aswell and the difference was instantly noticable! :D Now the brakes are very strong, better than it's ever been.

Not cheap for Toyota replacement front discs & pads but worth the money i think.

I've not had to replace the rear shoes in mine yet so i can't help, but if you get a Haynes manual it should all be in there and it shouldn't be that difficult.

maybe your brake fluid needs changing aswell?

That's my plan. Change the front discs/pads and rear shoes. I'm going for original parts all round.

Check out places like Euro car parts etc as they are usually good on price. if they have choices though, pay a little extra for branded parts.

On a slightly different note, Toyota gave me a free brake fluid change, as a welcome back inticer to gat servicing done with them, without strings, I must add! Saved around £65 from a dealer.(not got a service done yet, though)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links