Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Witch Hunt?

Toyota PR

For a while now I have thought that the US authorities have had it in for Toyota as the government own huge stakes in car companies there such as GM.

They have tried and tried and I hope they fail :yes:

Got to share this with you.

I doubt you will see much of any of it repeated in the Daily Mail

Toyota Witch Hunt

An interesting read , and adds weight to my belief in that if it aint broke then don't fix it , there was no way i wanted the pedal fix done to my car as i stated before that there never was an issue with my accelerator pedal , it had never got stuck in the 23 months i had owned the car from new so i saw no reason to believe that it would go wrong now , however i had no choice but to have the fix because Toyota had issued a recall and my car was involved , where would it have left me legally if i had declined the fix ? , i don't like the way my accelerator pedal feels since they wedged a bit of metal between the friction plates and i'd like it put back to how it was , i don't suppose there's much chance of that now though .

Unfortunately if you are a manufacturer that's main selling point is build quality and reliability (lets face it it’s not drivability or performance these days) and you start churning out horribly built cars with recognised issues, people WILL be bitter. That said I’m also pretty sure that even Americans wouldn’t make up a story out of the blue, and get it into the papers with their name to it if it was utterly, provably false and a lie

If there were no faults and if it was provable that there have been no faults there would not have been recalls. Are the Americans stirring it up to create a !Removed! storm to encourage the sale of “home grown” goods? – Probably. But there is no smoke without fire. Let’s face it when it comes to poorly built and fatal design flaws, this is a nation that really knows what it is talking about!!

That was a pretty interesting read.

I agree with it in most of what it says, and the whole thing is beginning to get annoying now in my opinion. It mentions that brakes always win out over the engine as recently tested by Car and Driver. The magazine found that the braking distance from 100-0 with the pedal floored in a Camry was better than a Ford Taurus from 70-0. (It was something along those lines, might not be exact.) That annoyed me in the abc news report, because the man driving the car at the live demo clearly said "The brakes are doing nothing."

No-one can deny Toyota aren't building cars of the same quality anymore, Akio Toyoda said that himself. But their cars are still better than many other manufacturers best in terms of quality and reliability. Our Auris, while it might not have the best plastics, and it isn't the fastest car in the world, has done 30000 miles and the engine is still as smooth as ever, so much so when sitting at a standstill you can't tell it's running.

Another point was during the hearing, someone questioned Yoshimi Inaba about the Prius suffering from brake failure, something else that was blown out of proportion by the media, because the brakes weren't failing as they made out, and Toyota sorted the problem and issued a recall in a very short space of time.

People seem to think Toyota is the only manufacturer with secrets, and that it was terrible they saved money. Surely most other manufacturers would have done the same in the same situation, they still want to make money. People seem to think Toyota is hiding something with the electronics, and that the sticking pedal is not the cause. Surely Toyota wouldn't have spent massive amounts of money repairing this amount of cars if they hadn't managed to find the slightest possible fault there?

Toyota might lose sales in the short term, but in the long term if anything, this will sort them out a bit. People forget Toyota aren't the only people to have had dangerous recalls recently, or massive recalls at all. Honda recently recalled the Jazz/Fit because of faulty switches that may cause a fire. Vauxhall recalled the Antara for faulty steering. Chevrolet had a recent steering recall, BMW and Hyundai both had recalls on some of their latest models, Chrysler had an airbag recall.

I do think it has something with some Americans feeling like Toyota stole their market, and caused the downfall of their big manufacturers. I don't know.

Alright, rant over. :P So much for emotion not being what is needed...

Edit: Found that article: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/...ation-tech_dept

I was a bit wrong on the part about the Ford, the Camry stopped a foot shorter from 70 with the pedal floored than the Ford stopped from 70 with the pedal normal.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links