Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Rav4.2 (2002)

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

Hi folks,

A TOC newbie here. :) Just wondering if anybody has had cause to source a new remote/key for their Rav4.2? (the key with the buttons on for the central locking/alarm)?

I bought my Rav4 S/H early last year and it only came with the one remote/key and a non-remote key (i.e. no buttons). I'm guessing there is no way to disable the alarm/start the car with the non-remote key. I don't like just having one remote/key, in case the battery dies or I loose it unexpectedly, and I'm left with no way of driving the vehicle.

Has anybody attempted to source a replacement key before? I'm particularly interested to know how much the replacement might be and what information Mr. T requires to replace it (e.g. do they need to send off the original key)? I don't unfortunately have the key-code that Toyota provide with the vehicle from new (unless this is somewhere inside the vehicle)?

Any thoughts/ideas most appreciated!

Cheers,
Graham

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Andyf3854

Andyf3854

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Toyota Model: Rav4

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

I have the same problem (although we only have one key and don't have another without the remote) and I phoned Toyota who said it would cost about 150 for a new key IIRC which included the key and labour to program it to the car. Does your key open the glove box? I have read that there are different keys, the one that opens everything is a master key and ones that don't are chaeuffeur keys. I think you need the master key to reprogram a new key (don't quote me on that though) unless it can be done from the ECU. I have heard horror stories of keys being lost and the ECU having to be replaced to work with new keys. I also read that an auto locksmith may be cheaper. I did email one but they didn't bother to get back to me.

#3 k 12

k 12

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts
  • Toyota Model: rav 4 xt3

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

i have the same problem one key luckly my son works for a franchise dealer and has told me all i need is to take the log book to prove ownership and the car and they can program a key for 100 as he works for them... thank god for staff discount

#4 Big Kev

Big Kev

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter
  • 4,679 posts
  • First Name:KEVIN
  • Toyota Model: RAV4 SR and 3 DOOR RAV 4 GRANITE vvti (2004)
  • Year: 2012

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

I have the same problem (although we only have one key and don't have another without the remote) and I phoned Toyota who said it would cost about 150 for a new key IIRC which included the key and labour to program it to the car. Does your key open the glove box? I have read that there are different keys, the one that opens everything is a master key and ones that don't are chaeuffeur keys. I think you need the master key to reprogram a new key (don't quote me on that though) unless it can be done from the ECU. I have heard horror stories of keys being lost and the ECU having to be replaced to work with new keys. I also read that an auto locksmith may be cheaper. I did email one but they didn't bother to get back to me.

Graham / andy,
Go on Avensis Forum and search. A guy down south(ish) was able and willing to help a Fort William resident who had lost / locked keys in car.

Big Kev.

#5 gcams

gcams

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Toyota Model: Rav4.2 (2002)

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for the thoughts Andy, K12 and Big Kev... I'll do some searching around the Avensis forums and see if I can get in touch with the chap who helped out the Fort William resident.

I was worried it was going to be 100+, which is an awful lot to fork out in case I do loose the key (rather buy a set of side-steps!). :D Andy, I'll need to try the key in the glovebox (never even thought of locking my glovebox!) to see if I have the "master" too. :unsure:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users