Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Wiper Arm Is A Nightmare!

jim shady

Tried (unsuccessfully) this afternoon to remove and replace the rear wiper arm as it is damaged.

Got the nut off no problems, gave it a squirt of wd40 to try to loosen some of the rust on the bolt, then....

Nothing! Tried and tried again to pull of the arm and it wouldn't budge!

Eventually gave up as I felt that the whole thing was going to come away from the tailgate before the

arm would come off.

I had a search and have found evidence that it comes off, but is there a knack to it?

What did you use to remove it?

You could go all the way and de-wiper it.

If not, you could try ever so lightly tapping the wiper arm it with a mallet. Failing that, and as an extreme measure**, drill at the side of the bit where the arm attaches to. A few holes around it should just wriggle off.

**Don't blame me if it damages anything.

There is a metal shaft around the screw and drilling around it won't help it shift as far as I can see.

I've given it a few taps already and nothing else happens!!!

It's a bit dark to take a photo now. I'll put on up tomorrow.

Hi Jim, most vehicles have a tapered shaft that the arm fits onto, they usually are splines as well. The way I used to get them off was remove the nut which you obviously have, lift the arm up horizontally to the screen, take hold of the arm in your right hand, get your fingers under the other side of the round part of the arm that goes over the shaft and move one way and then the other alternating the force you apply from one side then the other, best described as a A rocking motion , you will not be able to simply pull at it directly off the shaft. With it being a tapered shaft as I think it will be it will be very tight. I hope this helps, I have never had to remove mine off the Aygo because it is only a few months old but hope you manage, the splines are usually very fine and with it as I said being tapered makes them very tight.

regards

johnhrh

I might give it another go tomorrow. Gotta change a bust headlight bulb tomorrow anyway.

I might give it another go tomorrow. Gotta change a bust headlight bulb tomorrow anyway.

I took mine off using a small ball-joint splitter, which I got from Halfrauds.

If I remember right it cost more than £5 but less than £10, and I have used it a few times since so maybe it was worth it!

Hi jim, hope you manage the wiper arm, the bulbs I have done, I upgraded to brighter bulbs when I first got it, even brand new the connectors were tight to say the least, they don't give you a lot of room either, when you remove the connectors keep hold of the inner part of the seal so the clip that holds the bulb in does not get bent, if you already have done one in the past you will know what I mean, I did my daughters Nissan Micra headlight bulb the other day ready for its first test and what a stew on it was, so its not just the aygo that is problematic when changing a headlight bulb.

regards

johnhrh

Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully get everything sorted tomorrow.

A trip to Halfrauds in the morning is in order I think.

Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully get everything sorted tomorrow.

A trip to Halfrauds in the morning is in order I think.

Don't try to use the forked type of ball-joint splitter, (it wouldn't fit anyway).

The type I used was this one (the picture makes it look bigger than it really is.):

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165469

Draper tools make a tool specifically for wiper arm removal. I bought one from my local motor factors for £10 - much cheaper that the average wiper arm nowadays. Most decent garages use this especially where the wiper spindle is mounted in rear screens.

If you look closely you will notice the claw is thin enough to go under most wiper arms

See attached pic for sample

post-85935-1267734251_thumb.jpg

Reserved online for pickup at nearest Halfrauds tomorrow.

The one at Halfrauds was far too big and they looked at me strangely when I asked about the Draper removal tool.

Couldn't find anywhere with a Draper one in stock, so I ordered one online earlier today.

All going well, should be here tomorrow.

Not to search for the thread RE: changing headlight bulbs :D

The one at Halfrauds was far too big and they looked at me strangely when I asked about the Draper removal tool.

Couldn't find anywhere with a Draper one in stock, so I ordered one online earlier today.

All going well, should be here tomorrow.

Not to search for the thread RE: changing headlight bulbs :D

Sorry about the wasted trip re. the Halfrauds tool. I checked mine in the garage and it looks exactly like the one in the picture and it worked fine on my Aygo's rear wiper/spindle.

Maybe they made a bigger version than the one I bought, though the price was the same.I got mine nearly two years ago so maybe things have changed.

Glad you are getting the other one so soon, hope it solves your problem.

It wasn't a wasted trip, got a huge coffee from Costa to wake me up :lol:

I found the rear wiper arm came off with a little gentle persuasion from a vice grips, kind of tug and twist sort of action. the blank is all glued now and i like th results, decided to remove it because never use it anyway and though it would look better without.

post-82842-1267811853_thumb.jpg

post-82842-1267811957_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

I had to replace my rear wiper arm today. I had a hell of a job just getting the nut off but managed it eventually. The insert that fits over the tapered shaft was impossible to remove though, so I had to hacksaw it off in the end.

• 3 years later...

Hello everybody from Greece..

Well..

I just change the wiper body and it was very easy..

It took me 5 mins,  and an iron saw..

So easy..

IMG-891892937b51af5877c21363afeff7ce-V.jpg

IMG-d5732ccb46db4e4069acedfa90b11906-V.jpg

I changed the rear wiper arm in our 2008 Aygo last year and it was a pain in the neck. Used a wiper arm removal tool (like the one posted in photo above) but the metal brass ring stayed in place and only the plastic arm bit came off. Then I had to saw the metal ring bit to get it off. Fitted a new wiper without much problem. Seems to be a poor flimsy construction. apply a lot of vaseline so that it does not rust and jam on you, the next time you have to change it,

• 1 year later...