Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Rear Wheel Bearing Assembly

ToyotaDomo

Hi just changed wheel bearing on my yaris. Started with really noisy bearing, found out that it is a complete hub assembly required as my yaris has ABS. Turns out that it is 308 euros new or 211 sterling new. So went to Traynors in Armagh and got full axle with two bearing assemblies for £50. Just fitted one and it worked out a dream.

The thing to watch out for is to make sure you have the right one. My yaris is 2004 with rear shoes and ABS, and the ABS and hub is the earlier one that is the attached by studs that have heads facing inwards and are fully exposed. On the other hand the later one I think, has the stud heads facing out and the back is semi inclosed by the axle. SO 2 TYPES i think.

Then you have to make sure you sock the thing in WD40 for a good while, losen bolts at back making sure that you leave the threads in the hub fully and then with a heavy hammer and very good punch stike to 4 bolts to push hub out of back plate and axle. Tip - I got someone to lever the hub out at the same time using back plate as lever base so that you nearly hold to back plate in place. otherwise the back plate and hub come away together.

Any more details needed just ask me. :thumbsup:

Well done, Thats a big job. Well....not huge but not dead easy either. Those bearings sure are expensive. I replaced mine with two scrappy ones for 50 each and boy were the bolts tight.

I opened my old hubs and lo and behold, the shafts were swaged on, not bolted with a castle nut, as i expected. I did see that my scrappy ones are bolted onto the bearings so there is a fair bit of variablity there. At least i can get in there and grease them now.

Well done, Thats a big job. Well....not huge but not dead easy either. Those bearings sure are expensive. I replaced mine with two scrappy ones for 50 each and boy were the bolts tight.

I opened my old hubs and lo and behold, the shafts were swaged on, not bolted with a castle nut, as i expected. I did see that my scrappy ones are bolted onto the bearings so there is a fair bit of variablity there. At least i can get in there and grease them now.

Good stuff. I put a bit of high temp grease on the hub to axle and back plate matting surfaces so the next time I have to change it, it will be easier. By the way I didn't know what torque to put back on the bolts. I think i seen somewhere that it was 90Nm but i could feel that 60Nm was enough.

I is good to see that this site seems to work. I haven't figured it out yet myself, as I'm new to it all.

Take care