Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dip Beam Bulbs

parky1968

After my wife commented recently how dim the lights are on the Rav :unsure: my mate said how he had changed the bulbs in his Puma :!Removed!:

I ordered some Ring xenon Max 12v 55w H11 22 pounds inc p&p - delivered within 2 days and fitted in 5 mins by mechanic friend :yahoo:

What a great difference they have made :toast: - you can actually see that you have put the lights on :thumbsup:

Anyone else played/changed their lighting equipment?? :blink:

Edited by parky1968

After my wife commented recently how dim the lights are on the Rav :unsure: my mate said how he had changed the bulbs in his Puma :shutit:

I ordered some Ring Xenon Max 12v 555w H11 22 pounds inc p&p - delivered within 2 days and fitted in 5 mins by mechanic friend :yahoo:

What a great difference they have made :toast: - you can actually see that you have put the lights on :thumbsup:

Yes, i have ring xenon 70%+ main beams, and ring xenon ultra 100%+ dipped beams.. :thumbsup: Stew

Stewpot put me onto "autobulbs direct" and their own brand H11s which I found a big improvement. Straight forward 55W replacements.

After my wife commented recently how dim the lights are on the Rav :unsure: my mate said how he had changed the bulbs in his Puma :shutit:

I ordered some Ring Xenon Max 12v 555w H11 22 pounds inc p&p - delivered within 2 days and fitted in 5 mins by mechanic friend :yahoo:

I guess you mean 55W bulbs... otherwise you will be driving round like burnt toast.

I did have my front bullbar fitted with 6 Cibies, each with 100W bulbs - could see for miles but left the oncoming traffic blinded....drove south on the M74/M6 without realising they were on one day and all the traffic moved to the side to let me past!!! :yahoo: Made Keswick in record time! Since then the bullbar corrosion was too bad and I haven't found someone who can bend tube at the necessary tight corners to re-fit the lights. They did help to hold the front of the car down tho.

IMGP3643.jpg

I run powerbulbs own brand 50% brighter light, they're buy1 get 1 free and you also get a pair of philips sidelight bulbs too, not bad for £18 inc delivery, I do however get a small discount through another car forum

Bothy

Did they all come on with main beam? I bet it did about 4mpg with that lot on !!!

Bothy

Did they all come on with main beam? I bet it did about 4mpg with that lot on !!!

mais oui ! Actually they were switched in pairs. I don't bother counting mpg - otherwise I'd use a landrover as thats 200mpg gained from being on the back of an AA truck!!

After my wife commented recently how dim the lights are on the Rav :unsure: my mate said how he had changed the bulbs in his Puma :!Removed!:

Yes - changed mine for 35w HIDs. Not quiet legal I'm told, though they cause no trouble to other driver because of the ultra sharp cut-off and the fact that I keep them pointed fairly well down. I'd be devasted if I had to go back to ordinary bulbs as they all seem a pale orange colour compared with the HIDs.

• 1 month later...

:help: What type bulbs do I need to replace the main beam?? :unsure::thumbsup:

Many thanks :D

just changed mine,you need HB3

:help: What type bulbs do I need to replace the main beam?? :unsure::thumbsup:

Many thanks :D

just changed mine,you need HB3

Any news of how much better than standard the HB3s are, please? Thinking of going down the same route with some Ring ones seen on autobulb direct. They claim to be brilliant (pun intended) but I prefer your judgement to their claim!

Mike D

its quite a while since i changed mine, but it tells you in the back of the handbook what you need.. Hb3s I'm pretty sure are correct but make sure..Hb3 refers to the type of bulb you then need to find the xenon version of your choice ie "ring" ultra xenon (which i have)google Autobulbs direct who have a pretty good range at discount prices some up to 100% brighter or whiter make sure you check your handbook first for correct type as they list H1s for dipped beams whereas the 2006> ravs use H11s :thumbsup: Stew

Partly tempted by Chris's HIDs. Which kit did you use Chris?

Wife will kill me if I spend any more money on it, just ordered a bumper film off Kingo!!!

its quite a while since i changed mine, but it tells you in the back of the handbook what you need.. Hb3s I'm pretty sure are correct but make sure..Hb3 refers to the type of bulb you then need to find the xenon version of your choice ie "ring" ultra xenon (which i have)google Autobulbs direct who have a pretty good range at discount prices some up to 100% brighter or whiter make sure you check your handbook first for correct type as they list H1s for dipped beams whereas the 2006> ravs use H11s :thumbsup: Stew

Yup, all understood, LH, but what I was hoping to discover was/is whether they are noticeably brighter and therefore worth spending the dosh on. Any info on whether they do what it says on the packet, folks? Manufacturers' claims always bring out the cynic in me.

Mike D

Yup, all understood, LH, but what I was hoping to discover was/is whether they are noticeably brighter and therefore worth spending the dosh on. Any info on whether they do what it says on the packet, folks? Manufacturers' claims always bring out the cynic in me.

Mike D

Mike

I got H11s from autobulbs direct (LH first put me on to them) and they have definitely improved the dipped beam. He reckons the Ring xenons are better so I feel sure you should see a noticeable difference. I have avoided changing the main beams as they are already bright enough that reflective road signs are uncomfortable in the dark so I don't need the main beam any brighter.

"I got H11s from autobulbs direct (LH first put me on to them) and they have definitely improved the dipped beam. He reckons the Ring xenons are better so I feel sure you should see a noticeable difference. I have avoided changing the main beams as they are already bright enough that reflective road signs are uncomfortable in the dark so I don't need the main beam any brighter.

Ta AM, Worth the money then.

Take your point re road signs but I will trade that for the ability to see sound-asleep sheep on moorland roads a little bit sooner!

Mike D

Mike,

I changed both dipped and full beam bulbs. In my opinion, the full beam difference was bordering on negligible, so save yer pennies or send them to me. The difference in the dipped beam bulbs that Stewpot put me on to was much more noticeable, and I look forward (not)to next winter to trying some even brighter ones he gave me to try.

Big Kev :eek:

Mike,

I changed both dipped and full beam bulbs. In my opinion, the full beam difference was bordering on negligible, so save yer pennies or send them to me. The difference in the dipped beam bulbs that Stewpot put me on to was much more noticeable, and I look forward (not)to next winter to trying some even brighter ones he gave me to try.

Big Kev :eek:

Now that is worth noting!

TBH I am less than impressed with the headlights on her ladyship's 4.2 so both main and dip will get the treatment. The The GV has poncey HID dips and they are brighter than the main beams so changing the latter is the first priority. Now I know from you folks that there IS an improvement I will work my way thru both vehicles before the nights draw in.

As ever ta 4 the help, each and all.

sléange vor

Mike D

Don't get me wrong, they do provide a difference - I have some installed in mine - but I'm always slightly sceptical about the marketing claims and don't think the difference as great as the claims.

You see claims like "50% more light" - but what exactly does that mean?

50% more light output power? Well, isn't it an inverse square law? so, to a first approximation, would the same brightness on the road be at about 22% more distance? Oh, but then, isn't it also an inverse square law for the reflected light from the object/road back to your eyes? :unsure:. So, that makes it a one over fourth order term, So the same power back to your eyes is actually only from about 10% further down the road :g:?

Oh, but they are a slightly different colour and the eye is not uniformly sensitive to all colours, so that may help?

I'm probably wrong, optics is not my field, but I'm not sure all of these replacement bulbs are as great as they claim - I think there is a lot of "specmanship".

Right, so where did I drop the huge clanger and get my physics badly wrong?

Don't get me wrong, they do provide a difference - I have some installed in mine - but I'm always slightly sceptical about the marketing claims and don't think the difference as great as the claims.

You see claims like "50% more light" - but what exactly does that mean?

50% more light output power? Well, isn't it an inverse square law? so, to a first approximation, would the same brightness on the road be at about 22% more distance? Oh, but then, isn't it also an inverse square law for the reflected light from the object/road back to your eyes? :unsure:. So, that makes it a one over fourth order term, So the same power back to your eyes is actually only from about 10% further down the road :g:?

Oh, but they are a slightly different colour and the eye is not uniformly sensitive to all colours, so that may help?

I'm probably wrong, optics is not my field, but I'm not sure all of these replacement bulbs are as great as they claim - I think there is a lot of "specmanship".

Hi Mike, I am so chuffed that SHCMs reply above was exactly what i was going to say, though prob not as eloquently I have supposedly 70% brighter bulbs im my main beams these i got from Maccess about £13 a pair "RING ULTRA" they are better but How Much better i don't know? "Ring" have now produced 100% brighter bulbs which i have in my dipped beams these are significantly better but cost £28 also available as main beams..but TBH i rarely drive my car at night + live in an urban environment I rarely use main beams :rolleyes: one thing Mike I think your car is a 4.2 most who are replying have 4.3s so check fitment before ordering..lastly I know Anchs would like a proper xenon system, but would you need 2? one for main beams + one for dips? I don't know,could be very expensive :eek: hope this helpd :thumbsup: Stew Ps just looked on autobulbs site and for the >2005 rav they list dips + main beams both as H4s they get a 4.5 out of 5 star rating from 19 reviews + cost £21-99 (ring max 100% brighter)

Me tae, Stewpot.....I was about to quote virtually verbatim what shcm said ,albeit I would have included the relative candle power gained and the detrimental influence of unequal lengths of multistrand OFCC used in Toyota wiring harnesses, but I desisted, only to recap.....

DIP WANS MADE A DIFFERENCE....FOOL BEAMS WERE FOR FULLS

Big Kev :thumbsup:

You see claims like "50% more light" - but what exactly does that mean?"

Ah, that will be the same as the 50% off all sofas until..........50% off WHAT?

You didn't. Logic impeccable, chap!

Mike D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links