Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Malfunction Indicator Light

jedmonds

Hi, any guidance greatly appreciated. Car has done about 42k miles since new.

Just completed a long trip to the Alps, 1440 miles round trip. Had driven 500 miles already that day with few stops and 60 miles before reaching Calais, stopped to fill up. On pulling away from petrol station noticed that the usual ommf was not there, acceleration was flat, and noticed that MIL lamp was on. It stayed on after numerous restarts. (Is there an easy reset mechanism?). Did some googling and found this website and talk about the SCV valve seems to crop up in association with power loss.

I already have Vag-com software (free version) and OBD2 cable. Can I use this to read fault codes or must I purchase something else? I see, Anchorman, you recommend an eBay device. Where is OBD2 connector?

I've just looked at the manual to see recommended action if the MIL light comes on and not yet found the information! Will look again. But what I did find was information on turning off the turbo charged engine. I didn't know this, and it may save someone from the same problem as me in future, but the manual says that after periods of heavy load/acceleration etc the engine should be left to idle for up to a few minutes before turning off.

I had just driven about 200 miles non stop at 70-80 mph (110-130kph) on cruise control in often driving rain up and down hills and stopped at the petrol station and turned off the engine straight away. I've always just turned the engine off straight away without a thought and so probably caused whatever engine damage the period of idling is supposed to avoid. Can anyone explain what damage is likely to be caused by turning the engine off straight away?

Any guidance greatly appreciated at the start of this investigation...

Welcome to the club.

Firstly, the plug is just by the bonnet pull. Read the code then have a look here to see what it means (or we might be able to tell you if it doesn't appear.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

If you turn the engine off when it has just been working hard, there is a chance that the oil feed pipes to the turbo can be instantly dried and carbonised which will eventually lead to oil starvation. In reality this menas when the engine has been worked quite hard but the precaution has to be documented. I never do it because I don't remember to but if you think about it when you pull up after driving there is inevitably a delay and the turbo temperature is quickly soaked away.

In a similar vein, when using my RAVs - both running turbos on their petrol engines - after a heavy use, I always try to leave the engine running for a few minutes to help the turbo cool down a bit. Unfortunately with my number 1 RAV, I didn't obey a rest period when I was doing some 1/4 mile sprints and cooked the clutch -although the engine is running up at stage 3 with approaching 400hp. A new racing clutch should solve that problem... but the need to allow the engine to cool down still remains.

On number 2 RAV, did manage to wreck a turbo as it overheated due to a collapsed cat on the exhaust pipe allowing heat to build up....the fans on the turbo simply broke off one by one! Lowered the power and started a rattle in the exhaust pipes from all the broken bits - haha

The same issue exists if you hold the footbrake on after heavy braking (eg traffic lights) - can lead to pad material transferring onto the disc.

Welcome to the club.

Firstly, the plug is just by the bonnet pull. Read the code then have a look here to see what it means (or we might be able to tell you if it doesn't appear.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

If you turn the engine off when it has just been working hard, there is a chance that the oil feed pipes to the turbo can be instantly dried and carbonised which will eventually lead to oil starvation. In reality this menas when the engine has been worked quite hard but the precaution has to be documented. I never do it because I don't remember to but if you think about it when you pull up after driving there is inevitably a delay and the turbo temperature is quickly soaked away.

Thanks Anchorman. Can the Vag-com spftware be used to read the code do you know? May try it anyway... We've got AA homestart so they are coming to read the code anyway. Hopefully they will also reset it so we can see if it comes back. Will post the code.

AA home start came and read the code to be P0627 - Fuel Pump 'A' control circuit/open. The chap's software didn't allow him to check the pressures which is what he would have liked to have done. Can you suggest a course of action?

Been at work!

I think you will find that is the SCVs but just wait until morning and I will find the info.

Been at work!

I think you will find that is the SCVs but just wait until morning and I will find the info.

nothing like working an Easter Sunday for double time and a half and a day in loo eh?

Had an excellent run out with number 2 today with performance to 100 very very good.

Your engine is young enough to surely not be damaged???? I await fix with interest.

P0627.pdf

As the SCVs are now available seperately you can buy some at a discounted rate from Parts-King. The fitting instructions are pinned at the top of the RAV 4 page.

Sundays single time + 2hrs bothy. We get Christmas day and Boxing day off but all other Bank Holidays are not recognised and the trains run normally.

P0627.pdf

As the SCVs are now available seperately you can buy some at a discounted rate from Parts-King. The fitting instructions are pinned at the top of the RAV 4 page.

Sundays single time + 2hrs bothy. We get Christmas day and Boxing day off but all other Bank Holidays are not recognised and the trains run normally.

Hi Anchorman,

Thanks for all the info, I printed off the SCV stuff in case I need it. I agree with your diagnosis. Took the car to the petrol station later that day, after the AA man had gone, and filled her up with V-Power Diesel for a treat. The wife was with me. Pulled away from the petrol station and the wife noticed that the light had gone off and hey presto her power was back. Wife reconns car was missing her... it's her car and she didn't come on the trip to France... Had a long trip out yesterday, 200 mile round trip, no problems. If problem recurrs I'll change the SCVs... Thanks for your help...

Ha ha!!

We could do with your mrs full time if she has that kind of influence on faults! Still, good news about the light. Don't be too surprised if it comes back on but you at least have a starting point.

BTW, I am not familiar with the VAG kit but as long as it is OBD II compliant it should work.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links