Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door Switch For Interior Light

rdmbfossa

Agreed MikeSh,

But I am expecting the driver (my wife) to get in the car, place her handbag, look in the mirror,straighten her hair, check her make up and then start the engine and change the gear ! By that time the light has gone out. :)

The other way would ofcourse be to use the Time Delay relay with four electrical connections instead of the cheap delay unit with just two wires. But it has its own inherent problem. When they malfunction due to some sort of short circuit in the system, the lights tend to stay on and drain the Battery. That is unacceptable in a cheap, little, simple car with a tiny Battery. Internet search shows plenty of examples of failing time light delay relay in even expensive cars!

The third option would be to use a cut off relay ( available almost in all car accessory shops for 3 Euro) between the red wire of the cheap light delay unit and the red wire of the dome light (points 30 and 87 on the relay). The other two points to the relay are connected to the trigger wire from ignition (point 86) and ground (point 85). That way u can cut off the cheap light delay unit's out put as soon as you start the engine. This would mean that u will have to find an ignition wire and bring it to the dome light and the cut off relay unit and the cheap light delay unit. (u have mentioned that in your earlier post mikesh. I am sure u were thinking along the same line.). The nice thing about it is that you have the delay unit functioning in all the doors with the cut off possible as soon as u start the engine. I would have drawn a circuit diagram and posted it but how does one do it here? Luckily our cars don't have light check system, other wise it would have been very difficult to DIY circuits.

• 4 years later...

Anyone know if this logic is the same on the mk2 2014 onwards ?

relay.jpg

is this what you where looking for rajiv

• Like 1