Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Genuine Rav4 Alloys

bluevortex

Hi All,

As the T180 purchase is getting closer I have been thinking about alloys & tyre combos. At present it has the RFT's as standard but part of reason for purchasing this car was for improved winter driving (up in the Aviemore), for which I really want a dedicated winter tyre. This is clearly not going to be possible on the current rims without losing the run flats/support ring. Therefore, I am looking to purchase a dedicated set of genuine Rav4 rims to wrap some lovely vredestein snow tyres on for Nov-Mar. I would like to keep the current RFT system for non winter driving as it will be my wife & young son driving on remote roads (also believe that the wear is very good on the Bridgestones)

Not sure of cost or availability but ideally would like the same 18" T180 alloys or perhaps the smaller 17" XTR alloys. Any ideas on cost or where I could source these from?

Cheers

Blue

Hi Blue... Toyota rims are well expensive. There are plenty of 'lookalikelys' if you squint at the screen available on the web.

Use this.. http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154 ... to pick the correct size rim / tyre combo.

Hey

Im prob wrong BUT dont you have to keep the valves that are on the current rims otherwise the RFT pressure system wont work? Would you not be better just cutting off the metal support ring and popping on your choice of tyre?

always the same on this forum - get far too technical! Just nick a set from a T180----bound to be thousands of visitors up your way just now!!

when you say expensive what sort of money are you talking??

I might end up removing the support ring but then I would be switching tyres every 6 months. Despite the cost of the RFT's I would like the safety offered by this system.

when you say expensive what sort of money are you talking??

I might end up removing the support ring but then I would be switching tyres every 6 months. Despite the cost of the RFT's I would like the safety offered by this system.

Watcha Bluebrother,

Good to hear again. For what it is worth,here is my tanner's worth. I have never had nor actually ever thought of "Winter Tyres" in more than 30 years of various company car winters here in Scotlandshire.We have just come through a real minger of a winter, as did our English brethren, and some photos from the likes of Local McHero and Anchorman's Ravs in deep snow emulated what Aviemore gets too.

The long winded point I am trying to make is that the Rav4, properly driven within its 2 and 4 wheel drive merits, seems to perform exceedingly well regardless of tyres in the snow. As you may well know from previous posts, it is also my long term intention to remove the RFT's. Two of the driving forces for me is improved road noise, and less of a dentistry bill on our potholed roads.They do err on the firm side.

If I was you, I would give the RFT's a go in the snow prior to some hefty expense on wheels and tyres......wait until June, it might still snow then. I may not be their No.1 fan, but the RFT's performed ok in the snow for me.

Regards,

Yer Disowned Brother, Big Kev :thumbsup:

Hi All,

As the T180 purchase is getting closer I have been thinking about alloys & tyre combos. At present it has the RFT's as standard but part of reason for purchasing this car was for improved winter driving (up in the Aviemore), for which I really want a dedicated winter tyre. This is clearly not going to be possible on the current rims without losing the run flats/support ring. Therefore, I am looking to purchase a dedicated set of genuine Rav4 rims to wrap some lovely vredestein snow tyres on for Nov-Mar. I would like to keep the current RFT system for non winter driving as it will be my wife & young son driving on remote roads (also believe that the wear is very good on the Bridgestones)

Not sure of cost or availability but ideally would like the same 18" T180 alloys or perhaps the smaller 17" XTR alloys. Any ideas on cost or where I could source these from?

Cheers

Blue

haha

see - told you ---- some guy in Glasgows got a set!!! Its not a big place so you'll find him quick enough!! :lol: :lol:

The long winded point I am trying to make is that the Rav4, properly driven within its 2 and 4 wheel drive merits, seems to perform exceedingly well regardless of tyres in the snow. As you may well know from previous posts, it is also my long term intention to remove the RFT's. Two of the driving forces for me is improved road noise, and less of a dentistry bill on our potholed roads.They do err on the firm side.

I've had a 4WD (not RAV) with normal tyres and with Michelin Alpin snow tyres on them. The difference is incredible. And I got stuck with T180 recently in the snow (probably needed to disable the VSC/ TRC but didn't have the print-out of how to do it...) Anyway, I would go as far as to say I'd rather have 2WD with snow tyres than 4WD with normal tyres. But 4WD with snow tyres would be fantastic. I used to change over summer/ winter set when the clocks changed each year. If you can afford it, go for it. Even if you don't get the snow, you'll get ice and the tyre compound is designed to give better grip below 7'C compared to normal tyres.

I've had a 4WD (not RAV) with normal tyres and with Michelin Alpin snow tyres on them. The difference is incredible. And I got stuck with T180 recently in the snow (probably needed to disable the VSC/ TRC but didn't have the print-out of how to do it...) Anyway, I would go as far as to say I'd rather have 2WD with snow tyres than 4WD with normal tyres. But 4WD with snow tyres would be fantastic. I used to change over summer/ winter set when the clocks changed each year. If you can afford it, go for it. Even if you don't get the snow, you'll get ice and the tyre compound is designed to give better grip below 7'C compared to normal tyres.

Thanks BBKev for that. The heart wants what it wants!

Nah seriously my drive really sucks in winter time. It's over 100m and its not like you can put your foot down and go for it because neighbour fences run virtually the same distance making it a total nightmare negotiating a vehicle along it, round a corner on a slight incline through to the main road (which is never cleared either). We did get the T180 down in winter with RFT's but it wasn't straight forward. I reckon it was largely down to the tyre on the car. I know the rav4 is very capable for our needs but I do agree with MarsKy that it would be incredible in the snow with the right tyre fitted.

I'll have to stack up costs but if needs must I will remove the support rings and replace tyres with normal ones and then winter tyres when I need them. It just seemed simpler to have a second set of rims fitted with winter tyres. Does anybody know what a set of XTR wheels cost through toyota dealer?

I have also been looking at a Honda Quad bike with snow plough attachment (youtube) - but stil trying to sell that idea to the wife. one things for sure I can't have another winter clearing a 100m drive by hand several times a week for 4 months. I am now getting physio on my left hand cos of pulled tendons - winter has been a total PAIN IN THE ***** this year! Rant over.

BBlue

Quote:

I have also been looking at a Honda Quad bike with snow plough attachment (youtube) - but stil trying to sell that idea to the wife. one things for sure I can't have another winter clearing a 100m drive by hand several times a week for 4 months. I am now getting physio on my left hand cos of pulled tendons - winter has been a total PAIN IN THE ***** this year! Rant over.

BBlue

I know how you feel. They do a snow attachment for our butch ride-on garden tractor mower thingy and that was tempting. The drive here is of similar length to yours and all thru the snow the RAV was garaged with a b*ggered clutch so it was shovel and sweat to get the low slung Pug cabrio out each time. Dunno whether to be pleased the white stuff has gone or sorry cos I can't see if the RAV realy does cut the moutarde when the conditions get Dartmoorish.

Mike D

Thanks BBKev for that. The heart wants what it wants!

Nah seriously my drive really sucks in winter time. It's over 100m and its not like you can put your foot down and go for it because neighbour fences run virtually the same distance making it a total nightmare negotiating a vehicle along it, round a corner on a slight incline through to the main road (which is never cleared either). We did get the T180 down in winter with RFT's but it wasn't straight forward. I reckon it was largely down to the tyre on the car. I know the rav4 is very capable for our needs but I do agree with MarsKy that it would be incredible in the snow with the right tyre fitted.

I'll have to stack up costs but if needs must I will remove the support rings and replace tyres with normal ones and then winter tyres when I need them. It just seemed simpler to have a second set of rims fitted with winter tyres. Does anybody know what a set of XTR wheels cost through toyota dealer?

BBlue

I can get you 4 or 5 new genuine RAV (but have had the tyres removed) 17" wheels (if my contact still has them). Bridgestones are about £115 fitted and balanced.

best to improve the bhp, then you just fly over..... :rolleyes:

I can get you 4 or 5 new genuine RAV (but have had the tyres removed) 17" wheels (if my contact still has them). Bridgestones are about £115 fitted and balanced.

I am interested Anchorman. Are these XTR wheels? What condition are they in? I would fit vredestein snowtracs for winter

Let me know

Cheers

Blue

I am interested Anchorman. Are these XTR wheels? What condition are they in? I would fit vredestein snowtracs for winter

Let me know

Cheers

Blue

pm sent!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links