Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sell The Rav Or Buy More Extended Warranty

Hoovie

Hi guys.

Long Time no Talk!!

Still got my RAV4 and it is going well, but next month will be 5 years old (4 years with me) and the 2 year Extended Warranty expires. 

I am unsure whether to sell the RAV and buy another vehicle, or get some more Toyota Extended Warranty for an extra year or two.   I do like to have some predicability in running costs so really am more comfortable with a warranty then running a vehicle without  :unsure:

As I said, the RAV is going well, except the fuel economy is REALLY starting to bug me! For example, did a day trip to Blackpool (from Coldstream - around 340ish miles?) last week and cost £70 in petrol  :censor:

So I would like to enlist the help of my esteemed RAV4ers here to help steer me in the right direction  :thumbsup:

Options I have are:

1) Get more warranty on RAV4

2) Buy another - probably nearly-new - car

3) Get a Company Car and have NO warranty worries whatsoever  :thumbsup:

For Option 1, there seem to be a few question marks about Toyota backing away from what is covered. e.g. talk a while back on forum about disks no longer covered after ONE year, let alone 5+ years!

For Option 2, I was kinda looking at the Hyundai Tucson which is a good low-cost vehicle with a good warranty, but fuel economy is still poor and design dated, so now I am veering towards the Skoda Yeti and Nissan Qashqai cars mostly as pretty new designs with pretty good specs and decent economy. I know the Kia Sportage is being replaced in a few months which is a possibility as well?  

The latest RAV4 just seems a bit pricey for my needs - I have no doubts it is a top car and all this recall stuff is not putting me off a Toyota at all.  Just bigger then I really need.  I was really hoping the Urban Cruiser would have been the ideal replacement for the RAV4.2 but it is not!

Option 3 - the Company Car one - looks pretty attractive financially, after factoring in the savings in running costs, service, depreciation, etc, but for some daft reason, not of the cars that I have an interest in are on it!!

No Nissans, no Skodas, no Kias, no Hyundais!  There ARE Toyotas on the list, so if I wanted an Urban Cruiser or a Land Cruiser it is there, but NO RAV4!  I can have a Toyota IQ or (if I had the right salary) a £250,000 Mercedes 6.3L AMG Convertible, but  not any of the £15k-£20k SUVs I like  :ffs:

Of course, I would not be able to pimp a Co. Car and will have to keep it for 3 years so that is a bit of a downside (though not that much TBH)

So this is my quandry - keep the Pimped up RAV4 and just live with the bad petrol drinking habit it has, or sell up and buy something more modern and a lot less thirsty, or try and find a vehicle on the Co Car list that I like the look of and is a suitable replacement for a RAV4.2??

Suggestions on a postcard ......

:wacko::unsure::rolleyes::blink::thumbsup:

Hoovie the Confused.

Hi Hoovers :D

It's an interesting problem you have, a lot will depend on how much you can put up with the fuel economy of your current car!

If you're thinking of getting a new Rav, then why not save some money and get one that's around a year old? I know of a very good 59 plate XTR with 7000 miles on it that's just about to go on sale... :rolleyes:

Hi Hoovers  :D

It's an interesting problem you have, a lot will depend on how much you can put up with the fuel economy of your current car!

If you're thinking of getting a new Rav, then why not save some money and get one that's around a year old?  I know of a very good 59 plate XTR with 7000 miles on it that's just about to go on sale...   :rolleyes:

I blame Anchorman for the problem I got with that option. Seems the 2010 RAV4 is so much nicer then the previous 4.3, it maybe too much of a compromise?  then again... how much is the 7,000 mile XTR?  ;)

Hi guys.

Long Time no Talk!!

Still got my RAV4 and it is going well, but next month will be 5 years old (4 years with me) and the 2 year Extended Warranty expires. 

I am unsure whether to sell the RAV and buy another vehicle, or get some more Toyota Extended Warranty for an extra year or two.   I do like to have some predicability in running costs so really am more comfortable with a warranty then running a vehicle without  :unsure:

As I said, the RAV is going well, except the fuel economy is REALLY starting to bug me! For example, did a day trip to Blackpool (from Coldstream - around 340ish miles?) last week and cost £70 in petrol  :censor:

So I would like to enlist the help of my esteemed RAV4ers here to help steer me in the right direction  :thumbsup:

Options I have are:

1) Get more warranty on RAV4

2) Buy another - probably nearly-new - car

3) Get a Company Car and have NO warranty worries whatsoever  :thumbsup:

For Option 1, there seem to be a few question marks about Toyota backing away from what is covered. e.g. talk a while back on forum about disks no longer covered after ONE year, let alone 5+ years!

For Option 2, I was kinda looking at the Hyundai Tucson which is a good low-cost vehicle with a good warranty, but fuel economy is still poor and design dated, so now I am veering towards the Skoda Yeti and Nissan Qashqai cars mostly as pretty new designs with pretty good specs and decent economy. I know the Kia Sportage is being replaced in a few months which is a possibility as well?  

The latest RAV4 just seems a bit pricey for my needs - I have no doubts it is a top car and all this recall stuff is not putting me off a Toyota at all.  Just bigger then I really need.  I was really hoping the Urban Cruiser would have been the ideal replacement for the RAV4.2 but it is not!

Option 3 - the Company Car one - looks pretty attractive financially, after factoring in the savings in running costs, service, depreciation, etc, but for some daft reason, not of the cars that I have an interest in are on it!!

No Nissans, no Skodas, no Kias, no Hyundais!  There ARE Toyotas on the list, so if I wanted an Urban Cruiser or a Land Cruiser it is there, but NO RAV4!  I can have a Toyota IQ or (if I had the right salary) a £250,000 Mercedes 6.3L AMG Convertible, but  not any of the £15k-£20k SUVs I like  :ffs:

Of course, I would not be able to pimp a Co. Car and will have to keep it for 3 years so that is a bit of a downside (though not that much TBH)

So this is my quandry - keep the Pimped up RAV4 and just live with the bad petrol drinking habit it has, or sell up and buy something more modern and a lot less thirsty, or try and find a vehicle on the Co Car list that I like the look of and is a suitable replacement for a RAV4.2??

Suggestions on a postcard ......

:wacko::unsure::rolleyes::blink::thumbsup:

Hoovie the Confused.

What about a late 4.3, just prior to the most recent facelift?

My Diesel XTR has averaged 43MPG [calculated] since new and doesn't have the dreaded 'run-flats [or a spare wheel :angry: ].

Not sure how much bigger it is than a 4.2 but I'm told it has a smaller footprint than a Focus.

The late models benefitted from the 'in production' mods so shouldn't have the issues the early examples had.

I blame Anchorman for the problem I got with that option. Seems the 2010 RAV4 is so much nicer then the previous 4.3, it maybe too much of a compromise?  then again... how much is the 7,000 mile XTR?  ;)

When I picked up my new one on Tuesday, they said it would be on sale for around the £20k mark. You can easily save yourself 4 to 6k by buying nearly new :)

I'll be in same boat in September but having the diesel I don't have the fuel economy problem. I think I'll spend £700 or so for two years piece of mind on the grounds that the money lost the moment I take a newer car off the forecourt would be greater.

All I can say Hoovie is don't write a RAV off until you've tried one (of the 2009 models - I know you tried the earlier 4.3).

If you are going to try another brand, I think you should stick with the far eastern brands and not the Skoda.

I can get you 2k off list of a new RAV but like Duncs says, you can now pick them up at the 20k mark.

Hi Hoovie,

I'm not going to offer you any advice.

But I see you mentioned Coldstream earlier. You're only 6 miles from me.

I have a new black XTR 4.3.5 which is now 1.5 months old. Great machine and far better than my older 4.1 and 4.2 petrols.

Hi GreyRacer :thumbsup:  I am actually about 5 miles west of Coldstream so may be even closer to you then 6 miles.

Hi AM, only thing I have with the RAVs really is that they are a lot of money compared to other makes. Quality is definately there without a doubt, but more car then I think I  need, if you get me.

I did a test drive on the Yeti this afternoon and was significantly underwelmed (car and dealer)  :yawn:. Had very little to make me think I would like it more then the current RAV4 I have. 

I went into Arnold Clarks in Edinburgh and saw a 59 plate Tiguan and was quite impressed TBH in terms of the interior and on-street 'presence' but did not do a test drive.

You are quite right, AM, about staying Far-Eastern (Qashqai is built in Britain of course, but with a Japanese ethos). 

Then went to Nissan Dealer and had a look at a  brand new Qashqai, then did a test of a used Qashqai (new one was away).  Have to say the Qashqai ticked all the right boxes and could get a brand new one with Sat Nav and the big Panoramic glass roof for less then a used RAV4 XTR.

The fuel is a major factor here and for example, in the last month, with something like a qashqai, I could have saved in  fuel costs coming on 50% of the likely monthly finance payment for a new vehicle.

You are quite right, AM, about staying Far-Eastern (Qashqai is built in Britain of course, but with a Japanese ethos). 

Then went to Nissan Dealer and had a look at a  brand new Qashqai, then did a test of a used Qashqai (new one was away).  Have to say the Qashqai ticked all the right boxes and could get a brand new one with Sat Nav and the big Panoramic glass roof for less then a used RAV4 XTR.

The fuel is a major factor here and for example, in the last month, with something like a qashqai, I could have saved in  fuel costs coming on 50% of the likely monthly finance payment for a new vehicle.

Hi Hoovie

Yes, I meant far eastern derived and a UK built Nissan or Toyota is fine.

I had a Nissan "rogue" (Qashqai) as they call them in the USA and was very impressed with it. Fuel cost wasn't an issue and it was equipped with the CVT transmission which was absolutely first rate. Got a photo somewhere so will post it up if I can find it.

Hi Hoovie, would your company not compromise? my brother chooses NOT to have a Co car but gets a very very generous mileage allowance instead, which allows him to run an E class Merc.(works out better Tax wise) I'm a bit surprised at you not liking the Yeti, great spec + gets glowing write ups, looks very well made, although TBH I haven't driven one Good luck in your choice :thumbsup: Stew

Hi Stew,

I was very disappointed at the Yeti experience as I REALLY wanted to like it as I remember seeing it as a concept vehicle back in 2003 or 2004 and liking the style of it even back then and thought it would be the ideal replacement.

It just seemed quite characterless to drive, plus I found the seats uncomfortable with no lumber support whatsoever.  When I discussed numbers with the dealer, he said if there was no p/x, then I could maybe get a couple of hundred pounds off, but no dealers were discounting the Yeti. (on driverthedeal.com, there was a discount offered of £2,220 however).

Never been in a Skoda dealership before, but read that the dealers and cars are very good, so was as I said very underwelmed by the entire experience.

Hyundia ix35 will be looked at as well, but have to say Qashqai is very appealing more I think of it and the spec. 

i got my truck on 34 mpg at the moment  :!Removed!:

never know how come you get that kind of economy from your RAV4. maybe partly due to just 2WD, not 4WD. is yours a 1.8 rather then a 2.0?

I probably got a heavy right foot, but on tests with the cruise control enabled, I am getting just about 30mpg instantaneous at a constant 70MPH on a motorway and on a 450 mile journey cannot be cruising at 56  :huh:

the NRG is 4x4 full time... but that box is being driven by SWMBO.

not sure why you are having low MPG may be the area with lots of hills? but even driving from salcombe to brighton towing my 2400 kg boat with the L200 truck i still got 27mpg! ok, no faster then 50mph for safety reasons as it's extra wide load (yeah got yellow flashlight :D on the back) but still...

you might look around for a diesel? the biggest drawback of the 4.2 / 4.3 is the permanent 4x4 :eek: for me that's bad as it eats your tires and put strain on the drive even with that so called limited slip diff what in my opinion isn't working that great. you can feel it while driving. you can remember your hrv who had a much better system. and yes, guess now the new rav 4s do have a simuliar system :yes:

any how fuel isn't going down any more so if you drive a lot them make your choice to get a better mpg box. the only thing is be careful of how much monies you have to fork out to get another box... you might keep the current one and spend that money on fuel...

well fuel for thoughts,

bt

btw, sailing with my sails up cost no energy and doesn't make any noise :lol:

Well, I think I am very close to deciding to p/x the RAV for a Qashqai.  

Got my eyes on a brand new 1.5DCi with 50 miles on the clock, registered just today(!) to dealer (nissan incentive) and at £3,000 off list, plus with a 2 year extended warranty thrown in FOC

Panoramic glass roof, Metallic Paint, Dual-Zone climate control, Heated Leather Seats, Cruise Control, Sat Nav + Reversing Camera, xenon Lights, Keyless Entry, 18" alloys, plus more for under £19k - Think gonna be hard to beat that lot!  :drool:

Got my eyes on a brand new 1.5DCi with 50 miles on the clock, registered just today(!) to dealer (nissan incentive) and at £3,000 off list, plus with a 2 year extended warranty thrown in FOC

Panoramic glass roof, Metallic Paint, Dual-Zone climate control, Heated Leather Seats, Cruise Control, Sat Nav + Reversing Camera, Xenon Lights, Keyless Entry, 18" Alloys, plus more for under £19k - Think gonna be hard to beat that lot!  :drool:

Should have nice carpets too - apparently the Qashqai are renowned for them :thumbsup:

Panoramic glass roof, Metallic Paint, Dual-Zone climate control, Heated Leather Seats, Cruise Control, Sat Nav + Reversing Camera, Xenon Lights, Keyless Entry, 18" Alloys, plus more for under £19k - Think gonna be hard to beat that lot!   :drool:

Should have nice carpets too - apparently the Qashqai are renowned for them :thumbsup:

Hoping the car will fly  :lol: (ash permitting  :D  )

If you do go for the QQ, keep us informed Dave. The QQ is a definite maybe on my list for a while now and opinions

from a former Rav owner would be good to know. :thumbsup:

Panoramic glass roof, Metallic Paint, Dual-Zone climate control, Heated Leather Seats, Cruise Control, Sat Nav + Reversing Camera, Xenon Lights, Keyless Entry, 18" Alloys, plus more for under £19k - Think gonna be hard to beat that lot!  :drool:

that sounds nice hoovie, but not a lot of room for pimping that box :rolleyes:

anyhow good luck :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links