Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Head Unit

Dave Robinson

hi all

first post on here as the good old Rav (2004 2.0 XT4) has been pretty reliable

looking at changing the standard double din head unit for something a bit snazzier (with a USB port)

was wondering what anyone else has done and my main concern is that will an upgrade mean I will lose the on board computer display - which i would like to keep

also any recommendations of head unit w.r.t fitting in with the rest of the dash

thanks in advance

Dave

#1 - If you want to keep the on-board computer (OBC) display you have to stay with Toyota head units - so forget anything snazzy with a USB Port

#2 - You can fit any just about single or double DIN unit in place of the standard head unit. You just need to buy the side fillers (the Toyota unit is a a 2DIN-WIDE unit) - these are available on eBay for around a tenner, plus a 1-DIN to 2-DIN adapter if going for a 1-DIN unit.  Also best to buy the Toyota-to-ISO lead adapters to save cutting wires etc and for when you want to put the old unit back in at sale time maybe?

#3- OBC is pretty poor in reality - if you like the info it gives but you want it actually be me meaningful, get a Scangauge and you will have reliable data

In terms of what you could fit, once you have sorted out #2, you can fit just about anything.   I and other people have fitted a Kenwood SAT-NAV unit which works very nicely and it is a very good value full-function system.  It is also possible to get an adapter to allow the steering wheel controls to control the Kenwood unit.  similar adapters are available for a other makes but if this feature is important, check what is available - it is not THAT common a feature!

The only thing I miss from the original head unit is the external temp display, plus I did miss the steering wheel audio controls until I obtained the adapter to allow them to work.