Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hard Clutch Pedal

BlackRs

Can anyone owning a 1.4D4D Corolla tell me whether he ever felt his clutch pedal much harder to press unlike other petrol engine driven cars? If no, can you tell me how to solve this, (without changing the clutch slave cylinder)?

mine is pretty much the same since i got it, sometimes it feels abit harder and sometimes abit lighter, really i think its all in my head :P

never had any issue with it.....except for the occasional squeek :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone owning a 1.4D4D Corolla tell me whether he ever felt his clutch pedal much harder to press unlike other petrol engine driven cars? If no, can you tell me how to solve this, (without changing the clutch slave cylinder)?

This is a serious problem on our (2005)2.0 D4D T3 Corolla. My wife drives the car almost exclusively and is suffering knee problems as a result of the very stiff clutch. Our dealer says that nothing can be done, so unless I can find a solution we're going to have to change the car. Although I have been very pleased with my Toyatas over the years, my wife says she won't have another one after this.

I notice on some American forums that some owners have the same probelm with their cars; someone suggested that doctor's bills should be sent to Toyota.

Interestingly, only some cars of the same models have this problem, where others are reported to have really silky, easy clutch movements.

If anyone can suggest a remedy to this problem, I'd really appreciate it!

the release springs on diesel cars are much stronger than petrol cars due to the low rev high torque nature of a diesel.

The only thing I can suggest is changing the slave cylinder to a slightly larger one, this will give you an easier pedal to press. However the clutch will release further down than originally.

Can't offer an answer but this is something I have noticed on ALL cars I have owned over the years. Some had cable release, some hydraulic (Fords/Vauxhalls/Audi/Toyota) When new the pedal is very light, after several years and 40/50/60 thousand miles the pedal is heavy... but you don't notice as it happens slowly, it's only when you jump in a brand new car that you realise.

So it would be interesting if anyone knows why this happens.