Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towbar - Confused

Mike5100

I thought the specs were between 350-420mm to centre of ball but can't find the info at the moment. Noseweight of 7% and trailer being level are also part of the story. I will go and put my bar on my Rav and get the tape measure out. As an aside I put a witter on a Subaru Impreza and it was several inches above the top limit. Spoke to Witter at the Caravan show and they weren't interested. I had to use a drop plate to stop the van being nose up. Oh, no I don't understand that either surely the coupling head and towball should be the same unless it's to do with the drop of the rear suspension when attached.

It gets worse PMB. I have only come across one post that seems to make sense logically in relation to twin axle trailers. This guy was saying that the only way to adjust the noseweight of a twin axle trailer is by altering the height of the ball on the car - and I think he says that's why 4X4's are exempt from the fixed height. Apparently (and logically) when the trailer is level, the noseweight is zero at the hitch, and to get the 75kilos you have to keep adjusting the towball upwards until a downforce of 75 kilos is pressing on the ball with the loaded trailer attached. All the horse trailers are double axle and in their neutral level position the hitch seems to be at 450mm. So if you think about it, anyone who attaches one of these to a ball at 375mm on the Rav4 is going to be applying a negative load - ie the loaded trailer is going to be trying to lever the back of the car upwards - particularly if the horse backs up in the trailer.

Mike

Hi there

Just to add my ten penneth.

We have a 2010 Rav4 diesel and have the Brinkmatic advance detachable towbar (model 4754) - fitting arranged by the dealer before delivery.

When the bar is attached to the Rav it sits at a height of 475mm - way too high. You can not open the rear door at all when the caravan is attached (well a couple of inches).

I have been told that once loaded then all will be ok - all I can say to that is rubbish. :ffs:

When we travel we want to have the dog in the 'boot' area not loads of cases.

Has anyone else got any experience with this Brink bar?

Thanks.

A very disgruntled Peter :censor:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links