Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Performance

cptechjosh

Hi All,

Anybody know any good way i can make my Aygo faster without spending ridiculous money ive been looking at a exhaust from MIJ performance has anyone got this doesn this make much of a difference to the car speed and sound wise?

Thanks

It sounds nice but I am told that it only will give you around another 5 to 8 BHP.

So I'm not sure it's worth it.

MIJ are in Walsal and will proably fit you a replacement system to your specification for something between £200 and £250.

Dont buy a MIJ exhaust from anyone else and have to fit your self unless very cheep.

With MIJ You can choose how noisy you want it. You can choose the tail pipe design. Probably best is the mildest sport which would give you 1 or 2 bhp and atractive tail pipes without to much noise. 5bhp more with only exhaust changed would likely meen a lot of noise! Dont even think youd get that from these exhausts except if they have been stecifically tuned for the car.

MIJ is a similar company to POWERFLOW. Their exhausts are OK, should last a very long time, give a little more power but are custom made.

If your exhaust is on the way out anyway then go for it! If you have a good exhaust, probably not.

Insurance: You need to check but usually OK with just new tail pipe, or whats called CAT back. Ie everything behind the cat. Probably because they know it makes very little diference on a standard car. Ie in isolation.

Where it does make a big difference like say 8bhp, is when you have other mods too and have a remap after all is fitted.

Similar thing with indction kits. Induction kit alone, next to no diference. Add the sport exhaust and the two complement each other then you start to notice the diference. Remap after fitting induction kit + exhaust should definitely get you something noticable. Right exhaust , right induction kit, right remap on right engine ?

I dunno how much though on this car.

To be fair, if you want a car to go faster than stock you've got to be prepared to spend some money.

The quickest way is forced induction. But a supercharger kit from TTS for the Aygo is quoted at £3400 fitted and I rang them up and it came to a lot higher including a new clutch.

So say around £4500 for this supercharger and transmission changes. £3000 is the cheapest you can get a decent Aygo nowadays. And then you'll probably spend £1000 on an exhaust and intake.

So £8500 for a car that will be fast and worth it if you love the Aygo. But for that money you can get a very good condition Fabia VRS or other hot hatches that will be faster and have better spec.

the law of diminishing returns defo applies!

As much as i love the aygo, you'd be much better off selling and buying something more performance orientated. A clio 182 (for example) wouild be a more effective way of spending your money!

All that said, i'd love to see an Aygo with a high end bike engine (like they do for Smarts) I reckon the light weight of the Aygo could work with one! :)

Can you still get those superchargers? Incidentally what other changes were required?

Assume clutch, but is that to a yaris clutch or a helix clutch or other?

Also wondered if youd have to spend another £100 on swapping the radiator for a Aygo deisel one which is slightly bigger.

Brakes , think you can get kits from K-sport + XYZ but these look over the top.

What is initially suprising, is how little is available to tune Aygo/C1/107 as it seems the engine is tunable + theres a lot of cars about + loads available for styling mods but little in way of tuning mods. Shame that the Toyota IQ uses the 1.3 toyota engine for more power which will make car a lot heavier and an already tight engine bay more than a little over crowded. If there had been a more powerful 1.0 version, that would have shown the way for some simple mods.

Older version of the 1.3 Toyota engine was tuned from 86bhp to 100bhp then to over 120bhp (without forced induction) by Daihatsu to give similar performance to a supercharged 1litre Aygo about 8 years ago. Car is Sirion Rally 2 which has all the bells and whistles.

Could pick up a Sirion Rally for under £2000 now, if you can find one. Be as close to a Supercharged Aygo as youd get and loads cheaper.

I guess the fact is Aygo/C1/107 are made in easern europe primerily for eastern europe. Its a cheap low tech car. Not quite as low tech as other developing world cars we get over here, like Brazilian VW Fox or varoius Daiw???, Hyundias and Kias but low tech budget transport for Eastern europeans all the same. A revelation if used to Ladas, Moskovites and Trabants. In western europe the cars are for Grandmas, 17 year olds and hire companies. 20 somethings ond other trendies with larger pockets are steered towards the IQ, thats the marketing. But at least its not all bad news, Aygo by being a decent 1 litre has regenerated interest in smaller engine cars. Like before the Aygo 1 litre cars were typically 50bhp 20 year out of date rubbish, european manufacturers didnt make anything under a 1.4. (OK VW did a dreadfull 1.0) Aygo was/is a lot better than that. Now Renault have a 1100cc turbo engine and other manufacturers are following like Fiat. If theres more powerful competiion for the Aygo it may get more powerful versions coming out, but probably not until its absolutely necessary. For the moment PAS and Toyota need to sell loads of 106 co city cars to reduce their average CO2 emmision per car, to meet target , think target is average 120 or 140 per car sold.

I already ready own my Aygo i have a Aygo Sport and was just wondering what sort of performance i could get with a exhaust and induction kits and that sort of thing.

Well I assume you were thinking Cat-back?

And a K&N 57i intake kit?

Most you'll get is 15hp. I doubt you'd notice it.

I'll stay with what I've said, if you want more performance, buy a new car with a bigger engine.

The only car's worth tuning already have big engines, eg. Supra's.

You can find what you want (if you still want) at www.c1store.co.uk ,

No reason to buy from there mind Im not pushing them. Click tab B Performance Upgrade.

£38 Pipercross Performance Air Filter Intake - C1, 107, Aygo- Petrol (best pay the extra £2 for the ducting.)

£28 Spark Plugs - Performance Iridium - Denso - Set of 3

£250-£300 Your choice of Remus exhaust.

£100 Lowering Springs - PI 30mm Drop - Aygo Petrol

Also concider from TTE

£180 front spioler/splitter/spats

P.S. Anyone have experience of these Remus exhausts, seem to specialize in a good variety for Aygos so without having tested any exhaust look like the best bet to me..

On my107, a guy named Guido tuned his 107 with a complete exhaust system and a chip tuning. The result is something around 87hp.

The 1kr-fe is also used in light aircrafts (look for "ecoyota" on google. It develops between 80 and 122 hp, depending on the choosen kit.

The 80 hp

moteur-de-serie-2-0250.jpg

The 90 hp

100-hp-detour0.jpg

The 122 hp

turbo-detour0.jpg

Well I assume you were thinking Cat-back?

And a K&N 57i intake kit?

Most you'll get is 15hp. I doubt you'd notice it.

I'll stay with what I've said, if you want more performance, buy a new car with a bigger engine.

The only car's worth tuning already have big engines, eg. Supra's.

You'd never get 15bhp from those mods in a car with a modern ECU that controls everything from timing to emissions, you'd need a custom remap that takes what you've added into account. And you absolutely would notice a 15bhp increase in a car as light as the Aygo.

I agree that it's probably a complete waste of money to try tuning such a small engine, but stranger things have been done and with the increases in fuel prices all over the world, the focus on engine emissions, increased populations and more urban centres maybe it is the way forward, the Japanese have certainly started tuning tiny cars again.

If you didnt want to go to crazy supercharger money, then a custom forged high lift cam (since its single overhead) and a remap would give a decent boost.... but you'd never get the emissions right again come MOT time (assuming you're in the UK).

Ecoyota 122hp, thats incredibly high!

Aviation engines are usually rated at maximum cruising power, e.g maximum power you can leeve it running at for the duration of your journey.

So for 122hp you can read peak about 160hp! Mind your paying as much for that engine as a whole new car.

Have you thought about shedding the spare wheel, save 15kg?

Put in a tool tray with pump, and place to hold jack + brace and keep boot floor flat + provide a useful cubby hole for more storage if required.

Fiat Punt Or Rover 75 tool trays may be suitable (not tested) , available from a scrap yard near you.

Anyone know of other cars with tool trays which might fit?

Attached 75 tray

post-93033-127306155985_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Put in a tool tray with pump, and place to hold jack + brace and keep boot floor flat + provide a useful cubby hole for more storage if required.

Fiat Punt Or Rover 75 tool trays may be suitable (not tested) , available from a scrap yard near you.

Attached 75 tray

Why do u buy one of the most ecconomical car on the road and then want to make it faster, more power means more fuel, if u are obsessed with speed why buy this car?

I am buying one of these and gonna get lpg fitted to get 120mile out of a fiver.

Just my 10 pence worth.

Attached 75 tray

I think the new Ford Ka has something similar, I know it doesn't come with a spare wheel as standard. Good idea :)

might be an obvious question but arent ya f**ked then if ya get a flat?

It would be interesting if you did have a flat and called Toyota Assist to come out and help - but they then refused to recover the car because you had removed the spare wheel?

15KG wont give you much more in terms of economy on a car like this - its all about driving style. Crickey its a fun little sportster IMHO - enjoy what it is :)

Attached 75 tray

Why do u buy one of the most ecconomical car on the road and then want to make it faster, more power means more fuel, if u are obsessed with speed why buy this car?

I am buying one of these and gonna get lpg fitted to get 120mile out of a fiver.

Just my 10 pence worth.

geezbeez

Removing the spare tyre wont use more fuel.

I was suggesting its more sensible than mods that do waste fuel.

Which saves most fuel? 0w-20 oil for £80 or removing the spare , I think its a close call.

Which adds more performance, induction kit or removing spare, induction kit will only give benefit above 4000 revs, which is wasting fuel.

Removing spare will improve response at low revs as well as high.

Most cars don't have spare tyres these days.

Which weighs more an Aygo or 70 tyres on steel wheels?

Most people would find it easier to use a get me home puncture repair kit than change a wheel.

On narrow 155 wheels almost any puncture will right off the tyre beyond sensible repair. Only if punctured on mid 7cm will tyre be repairable.

An expensive eco tyre on a steel rim that does not match with my alloys is a waste of money

I had a puncture, tyre did not go down, had nail sticking out. Drove to a tyre fitter freind and had him put my spare tyre on the alloy rim.

For my pennies worth, I dont know why people fit fat 195 alloys on thier Aygos which don;t need tyres wider than 175 max. The best alloys are the standard Toyota ones.

The main effect of the wider tyres is to make Aygo use 10% more fuel, 2nd effect to bump up insurance premium , 3rd effect , you find your car high on bricks with no wheels you really are stuck then. Scant other difference.

Why would the wider tyres/wheel use more fuel?

Weight hurts a little bit, but it's the increased rolling resistance which really kills the fuel consumption. The Aygo's economy tyres are designed to offer little resistance and you really notice the increase in consumption with fatter tyres.

I guess I probably go down from averaging 55mpg to low 40s with the 185x55 AO48s on mine.

Paul.

Weight hurts a little bit, but it's the increased rolling resistance which really kills the fuel consumption. The Aygo's economy tyres are designed to offer little resistance and you really notice the increase in consumption with fatter tyres.

I guess I probably go down from averaging 55mpg to low 40s with the 185x55 AO48s on mine.

Paul.

Is that because you are going around a track at the time winning trophies :D Note, Paul dodes not hang around in A048's :)

With my 205/40 and 195/45 combo I am still getting 50-55mpg with my planet saving 55mph M25 / A2 crawl to work over a week.

To gain performance weight needs to be loss so dumping the spare tyre is a good start. Currently I have dumped the following

Spare tyre

underbonnet soundproofing

glovebox lid

air con unit

rear seats

The air con and rear seats were 20kg in total. Battery has been moved to the boot so that means a loss of about 20kg ( inc air con) from under the bonnet. The car is much faster to turn in now.

Andy

Surprized rear seats + Aircon were that light.

Under bonnet sound proofing + glove box lid wont save much they are very light items.

Wonder how much bonnet weighs itself, its not big. Carbon fibre one would look really nice.