Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve And Manifold Blocked

tomekpel

Hi everyone, i've just got a 57 plate T180 and i'm finding the performance a bit of a let down so i'm looking for possible issues and advice.The EGR valve was the first place i looked , the manifold had a very light even coating ,the valve itself was very choked up, got it scrubbed and cleaned out with carb cleaner. Reassembling the valve back onto the solenoid i noticed unplugged in its rest position the solenoid pushes in the valve 3-4 mm so its not cl0sed..is this normal?? unless the solenoid moves both in and out from it's un-powered position the egr will always be open??? Performance wise the car seems very strong in any gear below 2000 rpm but gets no more grunt as the revs go up, no whooosh that I've been used to from my previous vag, any suggestions?

Hi everyone, i've just got a 57 plate T180 and i'm finding the performance a bit of a let down so i'm looking for possible issues and advice.The EGR valve was the first place i looked , the manifold had a very light even coating ,the valve itself was very choked up, got it scrubbed and cleaned out with carb cleaner. Reassembling the valve back onto the solenoid i noticed unplugged in its rest position the solenoid pushes in the valve 3-4 mm so its not cl0sed..is this normal?? unless the solenoid moves both in and out from it's un-powered position the egr will always be open??? Performance wise the car seems very strong in any gear below 2000 rpm but gets no more grunt as the revs go up, no whooosh that I've been used to from my previous vag, any suggestions?

With the valve unplugged it should be fully closed, shine a light through from one side and look in to the opposite, if any light shines through the valve is faulty and a new one is needed ( latest part # 25620-0R012 )

When was your car first registered and what is the mileage?

sorry my page hadn't refreshed , the car is a 57 plate. The valve is fully closed when the solenoid is removed so its as tho the solenoid is jammed .Thanks very much for the advice. You don't know the price do you(ballpark) ??

70000 cheers

with the solenoid off is the small actuting pin visible or completely retracted, mine is 4mm visible?? cheers

okay ,took it all off again to see why it was compressing the spring when assembling only to find it no longer is, the pin in the solenoid now moves freely into the unit ,the valve is closed in the off position and some power has returned . I did spray some WD into the solenoid before reassembly so maybe thats free'd it off,carbon crap on the pin so maybe that was jamming it??

Back to the search for power , should there be a noticeable coming on boost feeling at 2000 rpm and tailing off by 4000 rpm ,change up time??

Any way to confirm turbo output? only very quiet whistling when building the revs??

Arggh, now it's struggling to start ,really wondering why i bought this car , toyota realiability????

Happened for one morning 3 starts turning over for 5- 10 seconds before firing , now all ok ..phew!!

Hi,

Having trouble with loosing power and black smoke on acceleration. Have followed the thread saying clean EGR valve. Mechanic doing it for me tomorrow. But in the meantime, is it ok to drive?

Thanks

• 3 years later...
On 4/30/2010 at 4:56 PM, tomekpel said:

Hello everyone, before I spend £550 I thought I could give it a go on this forum.

My Avensis (2.0 D4D 2004) has recently developed following symptoms:

1. lack of acceleration after 1800-2000 revs, happens quite often now and only when engine is hot

2. black soot spray out of exhaust when revved hard on idle

3. occasional problems with starting the engine, usually starts on second try

I did research this forum and seems like the EGR valve needs cleaning or changing.

I went to local Toyota dealer to get a second opinion and was told that EGR valve is very possible cause of my problems.

But according to them, to have a look at the EGR valve they will have to take off manifold and clean it as well.

I was told that clogging happened because I have been using 10-40 semi synthetic oil instead of 5-30.

My questions are:

Could EGR valve be a problem in this case?

Is it reasonable and necessary to take the manifold off as well?

Could 10-40 oil be the cause of clogging?

Thanks, Tom

Hi there   my 2004 Toyota avensis verso  has the Same problem !! Mine  is using  oil and  puffs of smoke comes out the back of exhaust  do I need to replace  mine to   The Toyota dealer told me it's  £200 or more for this part!!! I got my first one cleaned  but didn't  work as management light  came back on  got another one  from breakers and cleaned it  put it in and same problem  using up Engine oil  puffs of smoke at the exhaust!!  Whats next?? Only 139,  miles 

s-l225.jpg

• 9 months later...

are changing egr valve with new one  needs to update the program ?