Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Importing Stuff

jaxx

ok if im to buy something in the states and then have it sent here what exactly happens??

using example figures

XX part costs me £500 (convertered from USD)

XX comes across and gets to customs

now what happens? i assume you have to pay VAT and all that? but how do you go about it all?

:thumbsup:

Depends on the courier, some will deliver it and want paying on the spot, some, like Fedex will deliver it and send you a nice little invoice about a week or 2 later.

And if your were to possibly think 'I wont pay this' it quickly gets passed to their solicitors.................apparantly :rolleyes: :D

Add around 25% to the UK price of what the goods are worth to give you a rough figure.

got this info a while back when i was looking to import stuff.

(Courtesy of [name here], can't rem, sorry!)

Take the cost of the product on the website ($A). Depending on which state it is, add between 13 and 17% sales tax for the US tax laws (say 13% $A*1.13 = $B). Then add the cost of shipping ($C). So total cost of item, $B+$C = $D

Convert to pounds, $D/1.64ish = £E

Then add UK import duty @ 10%, £E*1.1 = £F

Then VAT on all of that @ 17.5%, £F*1.175 = total cost.

u mite be able to get the products labelled as gifts, or get them to state a lower price which means lower tax for you. most places wont do this but suprastore said they would when i enquired about some parts... :)

-Z

Take the cost of the product on the website ($A). Depending on which state it is, add between 13 and 17% sales tax for the US tax laws (say 13% $A*1.13 = $B). Then add the cost of shipping ($C). So total cost of item, $B+$C = $D

u mite be able to get the products labelled as gifts, or get them to state a lower price which means lower tax for you. most places wont do this but suprastore said they would when i enquired about some parts... :)

-Z

That's wrong, the price on the website is what you pay, you don't pay any US sales tax.

And the dollar is now 1.83 to the pound and rising :yes: now is the time to buy from the states, they reckon it's probably going to reach $2/£1 soon :thumbsup:

cheers again guys

im on about bringin a head unit across as its about 40% of the uk price over there

and adding the tak and stuff its still far cheaper

ta

import tax is 10% of the cost of the item + the cost of the freight insurance value. :angry:

Vat is 17.5%

If you can get them to use standard airmail rather than a courier, like we use Royal mail (parcel force), you then stand a chance of the parcel filtering through not getting any tax, but not much.

I've had loads of stuff for the buick come through at only the cost price B)

Ask the dude to tick the 'gift' box on the declaration too.

Jaxx,

If you know exactly what head unit you want, drop me a PM, I might be able to buy it for you and 'bring it back'...

Of course, stopping at customs at Heathrow to pay the import tax obviously...

Jaxx,

If you know exactly what head unit you want, drop me a PM, I might be able to buy it for you and 'bring it back'...

Of course, stopping at customs at Heathrow to pay the import tax obviously...

you off over the pond fidge?

-Z

That's wrong, the price on the website is what you pay, you don't pay any US sales tax.

And the dollar is now 1.83 to the pound and rising :yes: now is the time to buy from the states, they reckon it's probably going to reach $2/£1 soon :thumbsup:

sorry bout that shoulda saed that the us tax is susually paid for, and therefore doesnt need to be bothered with.

and about the conversion rate its awsome isnt it?

i've been ordering stuff like crazy from the states, lol

-Z

yep... and in the not too distant future too...

hmmmm ill have to let ya know buddy give me a shout closer to the date and ill let ya know