Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Sun Roof Rav 4

seancass

Can any fellow RAVers help please?

The seal around my suroof has been letting in water and it drips down from the inside front reading light and rear-view mirror area, which I understand is a common problem. My Rav is a 2002 model. The seal has been removed once and put back but it is still leaking. I think I need a new unit but Toyota don't do the separate glass and seal: you have to buy the whole unit. I am being quoted £600 by the local main dealer. Can anyone tell me the best place to buy this item for a cheaper price please? There are second hand suppliers but there is no guarantee that they will not have the same problem. Many thanks.

Sean

The seal around my suroof has been letting in water and it drips down from the inside front reading light and rear-view mirror area, which I understand is a common problem. My Rav is a 2002 model. The seal has been removed once and put back but it is still leaking. I think I need a new unit but Toyota don't do the separate glass and seal: you have to buy the whole unit. I am being quoted £600 by the local main dealer. Can anyone tell me the best place to buy this item for a cheaper price please? There are second hand suppliers but there is no guarantee that they will not have the same problem. Many thanks.

Sean

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the club.

Are you sure it is the seal that has gone?

Have you checked that any drain routes are clear?

Hope you get sorted and enjoy your RAV :thumbsup:

Sean

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the club.

Are you sure it is the seal that has gone?

Have you checked that any drain routes are clear?

Hope you get sorted and enjoy your RAV :thumbsup:

Yes, thanks, the drains are clear . It's the rubber seal that is letting water in. in all other respects a great car.

Is it not possible to run a fine bead of silicon sealant under the lip of the seal. Effectively between the glass and the seal ?

There are also special sealants that are available that wick into fine cracks and then harden.

I have never used this product, but its an example.

http://www.leisurebuy.co.uk/camping-and-outdoor/captain-tolley-s-creeping-crack-cure-sealant.html

I would have thought it would be possible to seal that sucker !!

Is it not possible to run a fine bead of silicon sealant under the lip of the seal. Effectively between the glass and the seal ?

There are also special sealants that are available that wick into fine cracks and then harden.

I have never used this product, but its an example.

http://www.leisurebuy.co.uk/camping-and-outdoor/captain-tolley-s-creeping-crack-cure-sealant.html

Captain Tolleys etc and a similar product, Burgess Cracksealer, apart from having names to make a schoolboy snigger, are excellent products well worth having around. As you say, they do tend to cure hard though. Excellent for hairline cracks in rigid substrates such as GRP but not sure about them in this instance. Where dealing with the interface between a flexible and rigid material I would reckon your first idea is the better one. Careful application of a black low modulus silicone got us another 2 years life out of the duff sun roof seal on my mother's Rover 216 until even she acknowledged that the car was done for!

Mike D

It must be a Bank Holiday weekend. Dartmoor is wet windy and flippin' cold

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links