Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uk Number Plates

SMW

Why are UK number plates white with black text on the front and yellow with black text on the back ?

cause by UK law - you can't have a white "light" on the back of your car .. and yellow is the next best colour for readability ..

well kinda makes sense I guess but what about reversing lights ?

and why not have white rear anyway - OK it's law but why ?

cause white lights mean thats the "front" of your car .. it's why the number plate bulbs are coverd so you can't see them direct from the rear ..

It's like showing red lights on the fron of your car .. big no no

This is the problem with Neons .. the whole red at the back, white at the front, blue for emergency only .. but technically it's only if you can see the bulbs/tubes direct .. but I wouldn't want to argue the t*ss with a copper about it ..

While I understand the rules about white at the front & not at the rear, I think that it's just a case of being able to identify which way a car is facing rather than dazzling. Germans run perfectly fine with white number plates at the back.

For the red at the front being a no-no, I remember a friend of mine being pulled over for putting a light under his red nose (Red Nose Day car nose :P )

I've just read in the paper that thepolice are cracking down on plates that have been "altered" it Italic letters/numbers also having the bolt placed stratigically that sort of thing. They are issuing on the spot fines repeated offenders can get fines up to four grand and have their plate taken away from them. You'd think the police would have better things to do really.

Kaz

I've just read in the paper that thepolice are cracking down on plates that have been "altered" it Italic letters/numbers also having the bolt placed stratigically that sort of thing. They are issuing on the spot fines repeated offenders can get fines up to four grand and have their plate taken away from them. You'd think the police would have better things to do really.

Kaz

theyve been trying that for years though

well like ya say pretty number plates are obviously more important than peadophiles, rapists and car theives

biggest reason for lot allowing "pretty" number plates...as well as the new law which has standardised the letter size and font, is that automated cameras can be set up to read just the one type of letter style..and to be able to read it clearly.

If we start using italic letters, or anything other than the specific license plate font, it means that automated speed traps are less effective...and someone has to step in..and check the plate rather than tickets being issued automatically.

At the end of the day...all comes down to catching more people and getting more money.

Vipes

Kaz

if you were involved in say a hit and run incident and you got the reg of the vehicle but read it wrong because off the plate screws altering what it say's so there for the vehicle is untraceable that would be ok would it?

unfortunatly the laws the law and some ones got to enforce it weather its petty things or a serious crime

and if small minded people left there number plates alone a displayed them as they should be then the police would have more time for more serious crime

This is the problem with Neons .. the whole red at the back, white at the front, blue for emergency only .. but technically it's only if you can see the bulbs/tubes direct .. but I wouldn't want to argue the t*ss with a copper about it ..

Just had a thought - what about these blue light windscreen washer jets? :blink:

if you were involved in say a hit and run incident and you got the reg of the vehicle but read it wrong because off the plate screws altering what it say's so there for the vehicle is untraceable that would be ok would it?

unfortunatly the laws the law and some ones got to enforce it weather its petty things or a serious crime

and if small minded people left there number plates alone a displayed them as they should be then the police would have more time for more serious crime

police sergeant paul makes a good point, but i have to agree with kaz and the majority. it is easy pickings and easy money for the police to pick up on this - its easier than doing a good job and catching real criminals.

Personally, I've got a real problem with people who mae one reg number look like another. They might as well walk into a bank wearing a flippin' balaclava. It's the same thing. My sister has transformed H 11 EEN Into HELEN using yellow/white and black bolt heads GLUED on. I mean, FFS, she's a **** driver too, crashes, pedestrian knock-overs etc... and I KNOW she hasn't stopped for some of them. :censor:

I mean, FFS, she's a **** driver too . . . pedestrian knock-overs etc ... and I KNOW she hasn't stopped for some of them. :censor:

:eek:

if anyone has seen them plates with shaped edges on gtgrafix.com i have just bought a standard plate and done it myself with a jigsaw looks mint for 8.99 and all legal!

dans is cool too!(yaristpot)

White is a reflective colour, bright lights, night time, bingo, one dazzled driver.............................

Would stop the :censor: ers from leaving their full beams on tho!!!!

Then again despite what "they" say.. thats a load of rubbish.. I've lived in germany for 11 years and they have white reflective plates at the back, its not at all dazzling.

Neon washerjets are not legal..... not should they be :lol:

I get really annoyed with coppers that try and tell my my numberplate spacign is illegal!! GGGGRRR its totally spot on 100% legal, in a standard font and everything!

Just had a thought - what about these blue light windscreen washer jets? :blink:

Aye coloured washer jets are illegal. The white ones...well you can pretty much get away with.......but you could still be done on a technicalitly for causing a distraction.

Bascially any coloured light/bulb/neon/led other than standard running gear is illegal.

So that goes for those little Christmas trees peeps put on their dash...under body neons, little smiley pumpkins you sometimes see sat a top aerials, LED dust caps.

however I ask ya this...how many trucks do you see driving about that are lit up like the Golden Mile in multi coloured lights? or bikes with coloured head lights?

but it's the everyday motorist they come down upon.

As for White Number plates being dazzling c'mon! the reflected light is minimal...and impossible to see against the on-coming car's own lights. The Rear ones fitted on European cars that are white tend to be none-reflective anyway..usually just a chunk of die cast metal.

Vipes

I get really annoyed with coppers that try and tell my my numberplate spacign is illegal!! GGGGRRR its totally spot on 100% legal, in a standard font and everything!

I don't get it :blink: why should they think your plates are illegal if they aren't? :wacko:

1)

I was driving behind a car today that had a crystal thing hanging infront of the driver from the sunvisor, a big ball thing hanging from the mirror along with an air freshner thingy, then stuck on the window on the passenger side was a gonk like doll thing that was quite big. on the dash he had a fan. on the back parcel shelve were 5 nodding dogs - I couldn't beleive it he couldn't have had good vision - as well as him having total bad taste !!!

2)

On Saturday I was driving home and there was a car infront that was really illuminated on the dash I found it quite off putting and I was behind him so I thought what the hell has he got there so at the lights I pull up along side to get a look and there the driver was watching a dvd !!!! I was quite stunned when I saw this !!

Kaz

2)

On Saturday I was driving home and there was a car infront that was really illuminated on the dash I found it quite off putting and I was behind him so I thought what the hell has he got there so at the lights I pull up along side to get a look and there the driver was watching a dvd !!!! I was quite stunned when I saw this !!

From Yahoo News :eek: :

Driver nabbed while watching !Removed! movie

ALBANY, New York (Reuters) - Andre Gainey has found out the hard way that in the state of New York it's illegal to drive while watching !Removed!.

Police said the 35-year old man from Clifton Park, New York, was watching a adult movie called "Chocolate Foam" on Tuesday night while driving his Mercedes Benz in the town of Schenectady when he was spotted by an officer at a stop light.

Police spokesman Pete Frizoni said detectives pulled Gainey over when they saw the movie playing on screens embedded in the car's headrests. When they confronted him, they saw another screen in the passenger-side visor was facing Gainey, allowing him to watch the movie while driving.

The case is thought to be the first of its kind in New York, said Joe Pichi, a spokesman for the for the state's Department of Motor Vehicles.

"Our biggest problem is illegal cell phone use while driving," Pichi said. "Drivers should be driving."

Gainey was charged with a public display of offensive material, driving with a suspended license and driving while watching a television. He compounded his legal woes by giving a false name when he was fingerprinted, prompting police to add a charge of forgery.

He is scheduled to appear in court on March 17.

in leeds they were stopping some motorists and checking all the cars the other day.

from the look of it, it was obvious they were targetting modified vehicles. they looked under the bonnect, under the car, checked exhausts etc. i mean come on this is gettin ridiculous...

(oh, and thanks to my mum for the above information)

thanks mum :thumbsup:

-Z

I don't get it :blink: why should they think your plates are illegal if they aren't? :wacko:

because its a weird private plate.. with 4 numbers, space, 2 letters. I have been pulled and told it should be 3 space 3. when thats not what the numberplate says on the logbook :ffs:

in leeds they were stopping some motorists and checking all the cars the other day.

from the look of it, it was obvious they were targetting modified vehicles. they looked under the bonnect, under the car, checked exhausts etc. i mean come on this is gettin ridiculous...

(oh, and thanks to my mum for the above information)

thanks mum :thumbsup:

-Z

My mum tells ME that too... ;) Think it's the maternal instinct...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links