Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Diesel Timing Belt Change - When?

Rav4 rocks

Hi our 2004 diesel rav is reaching 6 in a few days time and has covered just short of 40,000 miles. Can anyone confirm when the Timing belt change is required?

Also what are costs for timing belt change and full 6 year service? Local dealer has quoted £560.

Experiences of dealers in Stafford, Wolves and around appreciated.

Should be 5 years or 60k. The instructions are pinned above in the SDS section. It took me best part of 6 hours with a pit and a good selection of tools but you could do it off ramps and you will benefit from having an assistant. If you get a belt delivered from Kingo for less than £50 it will save you £500 and that is not a bad days work!!!

Should be 5 years or 60k. The instructions are pinned above in the SDS section. It took me best part of 6 hours with a pit and a good selection of tools but you could do it off ramps and you will benefit from having an assistant. If you get a belt delivered from Kingo for less than £50 it will save you £500 and that is not a bad days work!!!

Hi there had my cambelt changed by Toyota last month at a total cost of £345, first time I have ever paid someone to to do it..

Rgds Mick. :(

Now I'm panicking! £500 just to change the belt or around £500 for the five year service including the belt change? I've the 5 year/50k service coming up in two months.

I did mine off axle stands when I did the Flywheel. Due again in another 20k. it's not too hard a job if you take your time. The hardest bit is getting to the damn thing.

My 06 T180s belt is due soon. Is it a big job on that model?????

cheers

Shaun

Its a chain.

Hey Don

Is it??? I was told by the dealer it wasnt and was gonna need changing at 60k miles? WOOOHOOOOO Thanks matey. Is there any belts that need changing then?>???

Na Shaun, T180 is a chain and as long as you change the oil as you should it will last the life of the engine - many 1000s of miles;

timing chain.pdf

There is a serpentine belt that drives all the auxiliaries but that is on the outside and much less of a job than a timing belt. It should be checked every 10k on service but it will probably be approaching 100k miles before it needs replacing as they have a very long life. It has a number of small grooves that increase the surface area but is only under spring tension. It works by having a very large area in contact with the pulley's. You can see here that the pulleys with a large load have contact with the belt for more than 180 degrees;

4.3 serpentine.pdf

Just booked my RAV in with my independant chap who I trust to do a good job. 60,000 service £175 and £188 for the timing belt.

thats not bad matey. i also use a local guy who is a pal of the family. If he says he has done it then you know he has and properly. Beats paying MrT

I don't mind paying reasonable rates and that sounds OK for such a fiddly job. I will be posting a tutorial soon for the more adventurous.