Do Not Sell My Personal Information

About To Purchase A Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D T180

Rudster

Hi iam after some advice. I have had Toyota vehicles for many years and have always found them faultless. For the ist time this year i foolishly purchased a Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi to be used as a taxi. Its now on 63000 miles and needs a new Dual mass flywheel. It has also been plagued with problems with the depolution system, egr valve etc.

I am thinking of puchasing a Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D T180 on a 56 plate. Is there anything i need to be aware of on this model and do Toyota's have any problems with the depollution system ?

Thanks in advance

Jason

I`ve got one of these & really like it - fast, comfortable and not too bad on Diesel IF you drive it well.

However, its not really a car designed for pottering around town - needs plenty of mixed drives (A roads and motorway) to ensure you dont get any problems with the EGR valve clogging up (which I haven't)

Hi iam after some advice. I have had Toyota vehicles for many years and have always found them faultless. For the ist time this year i foolishly purchased a Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi to be used as a taxi. Its now on 63000 miles and needs a new Dual mass flywheel. It has also been plagued with problems with the depolution system, egr valve etc.

I am thinking of puchasing a Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D T180 on a 56 plate. Is there anything i need to be aware of on this model and do Toyota's have any problems with the depollution system ?

Thanks in advance

Jason

My wife has had one for nearly a year. It's a 07 plate with 84k and apart from the sat nav not being very easy to use, we can't fault it.

Definetly buy another.

Thanks i think i had made my mind up anyway just needed a little push. Can't wait to get rid of the pug now :)

No significant problems with the EGR and DPF, although the EGR does clog from time to time. Sometimes you can cure it by remove fuses ECU-B from the box, pumping the brake pedal till it goes hard, waiting 5 mins and then going for a m-way thrash keeping around 3k RPM once warm. Producing excess heat and it might just shift it. Instead of having an active DPF which the pug possibly has relying on heat, the heat is artificially created in the T180 using a 5th injector into the exhaust system.

The DMF will fail but at worst case your looking at 80k, averaging around 100k/120k miles.

Some of the earlier T180's were known to have head gasket failures quite early on. These issues usually manifested themselves as early as 30k with excessive white smoke and/or coolant loss... sometimes residue visible. Some early T180's (specific batch) also had different (softer) piston rings. Which when carbon deposits were left in the cylinder did wear down the seals and cause excessive oil consumption. This however is covered under an extended warranty, but you would have to check the details on that (mileage/age etc...).

You will find, ALL new common rail diesels will suffer from "depolution" problems. Especially Mazda, VAG and Pug's. Their tolerances for DPF management are poor and require long journeys to stay healthy, Mazda being the worst. Therefore, possible ford have this problem too. Having said that, even with 5th injection (which can hurt fuel consumption), exclusive short journey driving will increase the possibility of limp home mode in a toyota.

If it's for a taxi, don't overlook the 2.0ltr D4D units. Not so great on the m-way but plenty of torque around town.

You won't be disappointed but don't expect the same fuel economy as the 407, I had a 407 before my T180 and it was the worst car I have ever had (and the most expensive)I had front suspension replaced, a dodgy clutch, headlights constantly blowing, a new roof lining!, ABS failure twice, ESP failure twice and those fancy tyre pressure valves which monitored the tyre pressure, well 2 of them exploded whilst I was putting air in, Always had puegeot/Citroens but that put me off so I went for a Toyota and I have never regretted it

Head gasket went on mine at 72000 miles toyta not interested even though its a known problem, extended warranty does not exist! they want

£7000 for new engine as block is warped not a happy chappy, had a picasso which did 479.000 no problems who are toyota trying to kid! mines going to be replaced by another citroen probably c5 tourer i have no further trust in the car.