Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towing A Rav 4

patmactiger

we have a motorhome and would like to go touring, can we tow a rav 4 or do we have to get a flat bed for it? has anyone tried towing for any length of time?

hi and welcome!

I've never thought of that one - most recovery cos and i think the handbook sy you can tow for up to 50 miles then more than that is a trailer job.

On the other hand, if it was getting towed with all wheels on the ground, then my limited knowledge would expect the thing to be ok.....just depending on the transmission not overheating. Persoannly, I have towed one for short distances but stick it on a trailer for 100 miles+.

Not very helpful but maybe ancs or another will pop in.

Certainly for the present model (4.3 4WD version), the factory manual from techdoc.toyota specifically warns against towing with all four wheels on the ground. It warns of potential transaxle damage. Flat bed i.e. all wheels off ground only.

I'll let the crimson mechy guru comment if there is any easy way around it.

Might help if we knew which RAV version were were taking about here :thumbsup:

You will need to have ALL FOUR wheels off the ground for towing.

Definitely the case for any permanent 4WD vehicle and the RAV4.2 Model user manual confirms that.  

Not had the RAV4 towed, but I did have to have my Celica GT4 towed when the rad fan failed and the RAC chappy had the front raised on the hoist and a dolly for the rear wheels to sit on (and again, that need was clearly shown in the manual).

It isn't actually specific, only about a suspended tow which would cause the diffs to work double time. In most cases gearboxes rely on the engine idling to prevent the mainshaft getting starved of oil but the RAV has an oil pump fed mainshaft. It shouldn't make much difference to coasting but if Hoovie found it in his manual I'm not going to tell you otherwise.

See the 10th page here;

towing.pdf

just had mine towed 20 miles but it was on the back of a flatbed :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

just had mine towed 20 miles but it was on the back of a flatbed :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Who had your wheels off last Bothy? I think you need to have words!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links