#1 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts
  • First Name:Don
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.
  • Year: 2012

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:23 AM

Difficulty - Medium
Time - About an hour
Tools - A 24mm or 15/16AF spanner or socket, a 10mm hex socket or allen key for the transfer box and rear diff', a suitable draining container, a supply of rags and either an oil pump or at least one half litre oil bottle with a filler nozzle as shown in the photos.
Frequency - Every 20,000 miles or 2 years (every second service).

To get about under my car I put the front on the ramps and the rear onto some wooden blocks. Do not use brick or concrete blocks as they can crumble without warning.

It is not necessary to have the vehicle level (fill the unit to the level plug) if you measure the oil in and I find the best way is with those half litre bottles which have a scale on the side. The transfer box and the rear axle take 0.9 litres of oil. Don't beat yourself up about measuring this accurately as 0.1 of a litre is about a table spoon full. Try to get 2 half litre bottles in each one. You will find that it is easier to squeeze the oil out of a part full bottle than a nearly empty one so I order 2.5 litres and keep transfering fresh oil into a container noting how much is going in. It will make sense once you start!

In these pictures you will see the use of an oil pump but half litre bottles are just as good. It is often cheaper to buy oil in 5 litre drums so be sure to check the prices first. I have saved some old half litre bottles and decant the oil into them for measuring and filling.

Starting with the gearbox;

So 3.4 litres of API GL5 75W/90

You can remove the filler plug first to let the air in;

Posted Image

Then drain the oil into a suitable container;

Posted Image

Clean all the plugs carefully. Keep them to the same place they came from as some are magnetic to attract the debris.;

Posted Image

Here is that pump I was on about!

Posted Image

Only the Japs go to so much trouble!!!;

Posted Image

To do the transfer box approach the drain plug from the front and to get at the filler - under the drivers door;

Posted Image

0.9 litres of Hypoid API GL5 SAE 90 (very important to use this extreme pressure [EP] oil) goes back in;

Posted Image

This is a better view of the filler;

Posted Image

Now around to the back and drain the diff'. You need a 10mm allen key;

Posted Image

Add some more of the same oil as the transfer box - 0.9 litres;

Posted Image

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Nigebob Squarepants

Nigebob Squarepants

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • First Name:Nigel
  • Toyota Model: RAV4 D4D XTR
  • Year: 2005

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

Another TOP in depth job from ANCS.

Who’s the cameraman / woman, unless you have three arms! :thumbsup:

#3 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 10,794 posts
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

Another TOP in depth job from ANCS.

Who’s the cameraman / woman, unless you have three arms! :thumbsup:

Wollaston who will feature in the timing belt tutorial!

#4 Catweazle

Catweazle

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • First Name:.
  • Toyota Model: 2005 XT4, 5 Door, Petrol
  • Year: 2005

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Wow Anchorman, that certainly beats the Haynes manual for clarity. Any chance of adding this to the pinned section so we can all refer back to it when we need to? I certainly will as I took my newly acquired RAV into my local independent Toyota garage the other week for a once over and he said then that it could do with a change of all the fluids.

Thanks again and keep on posting.

#5 Ravpete

Ravpete

• Registered Member
  • 3 posts
  • Toyota Model: RAV4.2

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

That's great clarity, thanks for taking the trouble to record it so well. Can I ask you a queation about auto box oil change?

I have a late 2003 4.2 XT4 Petrol/Auto 50k miles and wish to change the autobox oil. My Haynes (USA) manual advises that the autobox sump-pan should also be removed and the filter screen (or filter, they don't seem to be sure which is fitted!) be cleaned/changed.

Is this a normal or necessary operation?

I also see that Comma Oils now list their new MVATF oil (not the Dextron type)as suitable for this box. Has anybody used it? (Castrol still say Refer to Dealer).

I would be greatful for your advice.

Pete.

#6 saffron

saffron

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Toyota Model: Toyota rav4 3door 2.0 d4d 2005

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

That's great clarity, thanks for taking the trouble to record it so well. Can I ask you a queation about auto box oil change?

I have a late 2003 4.2 XT4 Petrol/Auto 50k miles and wish to change the autobox oil. My Haynes (USA) manual advises that the autobox sump-pan should also be removed and the filter screen (or filter, they don't seem to be sure which is fitted!) be cleaned/changed.

Is this a normal or necessary operation?

I also see that Comma Oils now list their new MVATF oil (not the Dextron type)as suitable for this box. Has anybody used it? (Castrol still say Refer to Dealer).

I would be greatful for your advice.

Pete.

Anchorman,

Many thanks for this. Realy clear and easy to follow. Will have a go next weekend.

#7 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:36 AM

Pete

I would only take the gearbox strainer off if the oil is particularly black, smells of burning or you have had some gearbox work/fault problems. It isn't a fine filter like the engine has, it's only a course strainer. If you do feel it necessary just wash it out with a solvent cleaner and wipe the sump pan clean. There is some info here on taking the pan off but don't fiddle with the valve gear;

Attached File  auto box 2.pdf   183.74KB   122 downloads

..........and some info in DI10 section 5 for filling and checking but don't get bogged down with all the diagnostic stuff;

Attached File  auto box 1.pdf   198.91KB   86 downloads

The Comma oil is fine for your vehicle;

http://www.commaoil....de/vrm/6/8009/1

N.B. Topic pinned

#8 Ravpete

Ravpete

• Registered Member
  • 3 posts
  • Toyota Model: RAV4.2

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

That's great Anchorman, thanks very much. The autobox oil still looks clean so I will leave the filter alone and refill with MVATF.

Thanks again.

Pete.

#9 Dick Hawkes

Dick Hawkes

• Registered Member
  • 5 posts
  • Toyota Model: RAV4 XT3 Manual 2.0 Petrol

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

Just read your article on transfer box oil. Thought i ought to warn you and anyone else about attitude towards this by Toyota in the Uk. My RAV4 xt4 is just on 3 years old and it only has 16000miles on the clock. I have it serviced regularly by a Non Toyota garage. this guy is very good and being an ex mechanic myself I do know what I am talking about. i always have a full service once a year. His instructions are to do whatever extra work he feels it needs. However he didnt change the transfer box oil at the 2 year mark. So when the car went in for a transmission whine under warranty the garage repaired it (or tried to!!) then gave it me back wore than before. When the car was taken back they tried to tell me it was a different noise!! I ave been around motor cars a long time I know the noises they make. Anyway after a few heated words they said the would look at it again. This resulted in them asking me to prove it had been serviced properly. No problem I thought! that is until Toyota refused to do the work under warranty because i couldnt prove that the oil in the transfer box had been changed. So be warned if its under warranty change it even though we all know that gear oil last for ever or at least a very long time more then 16000 miles. By the way has anyone else had a transmission whine at around 40mph cruising?? I would love to hear from you if you have.

#10 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:07 PM

The usual one with the 5 speed boxes is jumping out of 5th. Somebody recently mentioned a whine - was that you?

The service book says that as long as the vehicle is serviced according to the schedule they will underwrite the warranty no matter who has done it. In my case I keep a spreadsheet of the work done and all the receipts. If you buy the parts from a Toyota garage that is another good record. I also take it back every 12 months for them to do their "safety check" and it gives them the chance to check the oil is clean and the transmission plugs have been out.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users