Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Mpg Still Lower Than Expected

Rick D4D

I've just bought an Auris T180, having decided to go for a sporty diesel after having an Audi S3 which was thirsty.

I've been very disappointed with the Auris fuel economy so far! I've been driving mostly on motorways, dual carrageways, and bit of A roads (with a little bit of city driving), and got just 360mls out a tank before I had to refill. I've not owned the car long enough to work out exactly what the economy is, but the trip computer hasn't read above 35mpg on any journey. Today I did 130mls, nearly all motorway, and got 32mpg on the computer. I'm driving at the speed of the road, and spending a fair bit of time in cruise control @ 70mph.

Is this normal? I'll be mighty peeved if it is, as I've got rid of a much quicker car, in the name of economy, and only getting a slightly better fuel economy. I really was wanting a car that would be able to do mid 40's on a journey.

Try cleaning the EGR valve http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241 and take a look at my MPG poll as I suspect this could be were our MPG has been lost as both of these seem to happen around the same time http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111120

Well we travelled south this morning and over about 120miles at 60-70mph we got 38.4mpg, While driving I was thinking to when this dropped and thought that it was around Dec09. Back in Nov 09 we changed all 4 tyres Vredestein Sessanta and these are very good in both wet and dry conditions, Would I buy them again then No because after around 6k the fronts are half worn so these are also a lot softer than I was led to believe. I also know that some civic owners had these and did rate them but said their mpg dropped by around 3mpg with these fitted, so now I am wondering if this could be were our mpg has gone as now the best I can get is around 42mpg were before it was 46mpg. That is 4mpg short and maybe the few mpg the civic owners reported went missing.

The question is out of all the people who cant or struggle to get 40mpg how many of these have the original Dunlop SP01 tyres fitted as I am beginning to think that maybe the people who do not moan have Dunlops fitted and maybe others dont.

Not sure on the number, but the car has Dunlop tyres fitted.

Dunlops for me mate. Also removed the plastic mud flaps think they are wider than the wheel and might increase drag coefficient, more so at speed.

Also remember stickier tyres must dig in more creating more friction. That's the downside but they are safer than those hard special tread on those stiff eco tyres that are bad in winter.

I have been following this over the last few days as I find the SR180/ T180 MPG "thing" fascinating.

I am off to test drive one tomorrow so I will be keeping an eye on real world figures during the test drive as an example of what I could look to expect.

Regardless on how it goes tomorrow I will be checking back in to see how you have gotten along.

Great car mate and don't be put off by this, just remember if you buy the car and you are happy if your MPG is around 35-43 depending on the roads you drive and speed you will never be disappointed. If you get more then that is a bonus and also reset the average MPG at the start of your test drive so you know what you did when driving around :thumbsup:

In all my 45 years of driving various makes & models of cars inc Ford. Vauxhall. British Leyland. Volvo. Honda I have never achieved mpg figures that are quoted in the books. I can only assume the testers dont drive in the same way and on the same roads that Joe Public does

And after 45 years I have decided that I will not get my knickers in a twist over mpg figures anymore there are more important things than trying to match mpg figures out of the manufacturers handbooks

• Like 1

Well we travelled south this morning and over about 120miles at 60-70mph we got 38.4mpg.

When we got home around 11pmlast night the MPG had dropped to 37.7MPG, now this was imo an extra urban run so it is around 18MPG of Toyota figure but IMO around 6MPG short of what we should of got. I am now thinking of the tyres again

I am now keeping a log of the MPG so the dealer has more evidence for Toyota

Average MPG Average Speed Time Travelled Miles Travelled

34.3mpg 50mph 287miles

Car went to dealer to look at MPG issue

37.6mpg 44mph 6:36 284.8miles

When you now compare the figures you can see the MPG has not improved and the improved will be down to the lower average speed.

I will say I dont expect to get the official Toyota MPG but TBH our extra urban run is only about the Toyota figure for around town, if we can get an average of 40mpg and 45mpg on a run I would be happy enough

I went a 100ml journey yesterday only having to navigate 2-3 junctions and 2-3 roundabouts. 90% of the journey was on motorway conditions, the rest A road, not going above 60mph and trying very hard to get max fuel economy. I got 35.5mpg on the trip computer (which according to my calculations is fairly accurate). It's incredibly impractical to drive like this though.

The thing I don't understand though, is I can drive fast, giving the car a thrash over a B road, and still achieve 30-32mpg. There isn't exactly a lot of ''punishment'' in terms of economy for driving the car hard. Would this be true with your car too Rick?

I went a 100ml journey yesterday only having to navigate 2-3 junctions and 2-3 roundabouts. 90% of the journey was on motorway conditions, the rest A road, not going above 60mph and trying very hard to get max fuel economy. I got 35.5mpg on the trip computer (which according to my calculations is fairly accurate). It's incredibly impractical to drive like this though.

The thing I don't understand though, is I can drive fast, giving the car a thrash over a B road, and still achieve 30-32mpg. There isn't exactly a lot of ''punishment'' in terms of economy for driving the car hard. Would this be true with your car too Rick?

If I drive with a feather for a right foot and try to keep the car in as high a gear as possible for example 6th at 50mph and try to avoid stopping and going over 60mph we can get around 42mpg and did this 2 weeks ago when we was in your neck of the woods AYR (last year with dunlops fitted was just short of 46mpg). If we drive with a normal right foot using the revs to around 2300rpm then this drops to around 33MPG.

I am now keeping a log of the MPG so the dealer has more evidence for Toyota

34.3mpg 50mph 287miles

Car went to dealer to look at MPG issue

37.6mpg 44mph 6:36 284.8miles

When you now compare the figures you can see the MPG has not improved and the improved will be down to the lower average speed.

I will say I dont expect to get the official Toyota MPG but TBH our extra urban run is only about the Toyota figure for around town, if we can get an average of 40mpg and 45mpg on a run I would be happy enough

Ok just brimmed the tank to the top of the filler neck as usual, we got 6.8 gallons into the car so this could mean the average MPG above was actually 41.8MPG, now I know I need to do a few fill ups to make sure the average MPG gauge is accurate but it did used to be within around 1MPG. This may not be now since they reset the ECU so my 1st question is if this proves to be inacuurate how do I calibrate this on the clocks? I know this can be done as around 18months ago I saw a topic on this (oldschool was it your post?)

We have been to meadow hall and back which is around 40 miles motorway in which we travelled at bang on 70mph and got the following results on the trip computer

40.2mpg 44mph 1:14 53.7miles

now if the average MPG computer is out then this could be around 44MPG which I am happy with add to that that I think the tyres maybe costing us around 5% on the MPG and we may have had a 46MPG run which I would be more than happy with.

My advise is document your runs etc so you can compare what you are getting as for sure this helps build a better picture, I will say I have found in the past when in average speed roadworks on the M1 for 20miles at 50MPH the average MPG is very very good but as soon as you do 70MPH it drops like a lead balloon.

If anyone form Toyota reads this and would like to test our T180 in your bench mark conditions then please PM me as I would be more than willing to let you do this ;)

If I drive with a feather for a right foot and try to keep the car in as high a gear as possible for example 6th at 50mph and try to avoid stopping and going over 60mph we can get around 42mpg and did this 2 weeks ago when we was in your neck of the woods AYR (last year with dunlops fitted was just short of 46mpg). If we drive with a normal right foot using the revs to around 2300rpm then this drops to around 33MPG.

I've been trying, and I can't get anywhere near 40mpg. 36mpg is my best yet. Although I've only just did 1000mls in the car. Even resetting the average consumption once up to speed, it's still 35-36mpg, and that is driving the car is a very frustrating, and impractical way. What pisses me off about it, is I bought the car on assurance that I'd be getting mid to high 40's on a long run. The truth is I'm falling some 12-13mpg short of that assurance from the salesman. I do approximately 2,000mls a month, so the difference between the assured (real world) figure from the dealership and the real figure equates to about £100 every month. It's not an insignificant amount of cash! Considering I pay £165 a month on finance for the car, it's 2/3rds of my monthly payment I would be saving just by it achieving the figure it should be.

I was thinking it is my driving style, but driving my mums car (which is also a diesel), I get 55-56mpg which is about right, and the same as both my parents get (whom are well used to driving diesels), and that is me driving the car without thinking about what I am doing.

Did this today. Not sure how anything could get through it. Had to clean out the pipe at the EGR valve end too, as it was almost blocked. Used a high pressure air jet to get in the nooks and crannies. The deposit was greasier than I expected it to be.

Took the car a 5ml jaunt from cold round B roads (hilly too) and achieved 39mpg average driving normal, that involved stopping for 4 junctions too, and accelerating again. I need to drive up to Glasgow tonight, so it'll give the car a 60ml round trip on dual carrageway/motorway.

However I've seen a 7mpg increase on what I'd expect for B road conditions. I'm comfortable with high 30's for that. I would hope I'd get mid 40's for the motorway now.

Edited by Badgers

Did this today. Not sure how anything could get through it. Had to clean out the pipe at the EGR valve end too, as it was almost blocked. Used a high pressure air jet to get in the nooks and crannies. The deposit was greasier than I expected it to be.

Took the car a 5ml jaunt from cold round B roads (hilly too) and achieved 39mpg average driving normal, that involved stopping for 4 junctions too, and accelerating again. I need to drive up to Glasgow tonight, so it'll give the car a 60ml round trip on dual carrageway/motorway.

However I've seen a 7mpg increase on what I'd expect for B road conditions. I'm comfortable with high 30's for that. I would hope I'd get mid 40's for the motorway now.

I am glad my guide has helped you and will say I always found mid 40s easier to achieve up Scotland due to the more open roads, all I expect from the T180 is around 38-42mpg local and around 44-48mpg on a run driven at around 70mph. I dont think this is too much to ask and we did used to get around these figures, I have spoken with MR T todays and on Monday when the mechanic is back from holiday who worked on the car they will look over all the data and send this to Toyota along with the MPG report I am making to look at and hopefully find out were our MPG has gone ;)

I am glad my guide has helped you and will say I always found mid 40s easier to achieve up Scotland due to the more open roads, all I expect from the T180 is around 38-42mpg local and around 44-48mpg on a run driven at around 70mph. I dont think this is too much to ask and we did used to get around these figures, I have spoken with MR T todays and on Monday when the mechanic is back from holiday who worked on the car they will look over all the data and send this to Toyota along with the MPG report I am making to look at and hopefully find out were our MPG has gone ;)

Rick,

Sorry to say this mate but this is becoming obsessive to be honest, I understand that you are trying to recover those MPG somehow but it is not news that the T180 is not the greatest on economy. I do not believe Toyota will be able to solve this for you, your car is not the first to be investigated for poor economy and it wont be the last. They are not going to be able to correct design flaws for you (unless there is actually something wrong), nor is the Auris the only car to suffer from over quoted MPG figures.

For those who are jumping ship, well done but nothing constructive is shared by quoting what horse power you will be getting on every single post on your next cars either.

To be honest this subject is getting tiring, I have come to accept the pros and cons of this car and I continue to enjoy these forums for the array of information that is available and the characters within it that makes it what it is, but I think there is a point when a subject is discussed so much and without any progress that it just goes round in circles.

Sorry for the rant and hope i did not offend anyone, it is not meant to be personal in any way but I feel it just had to be said. ;)

You are missing the point here, I am not trying to get Toyota's MPG figures but simply get the MPG we used to get in the T180 a year ago. We used to be able to get around 45-46MPG on a run but now it is a struggle to get 40MPG, as for wasting my time I don't feel I am and neither does MR T who has been very supportive and agrees we wont get Toyota's figures but we should be able to get what we used to.

If other people feel I am wasting my time and dont want them to post what is happening please say so and I wont bother if this is how you feel ;)

I cleaned my EGR valve today. Tonights run seen me achieve 50.1mpg on the trip computer, admittedly stuck behind a truck for about 25 of the 60mls.

Thought Id chip in on this on since ive been keeping fuel/mpg records recently due to sharing some car journeys, and cos id seen a drop over the winter period.

Although mine car is a t180 it is an avensis so a wee bit heavier, especially recently as everytime ive been out in mine ive been lugging lots of stuff.

Over the last 3 Tanks ive got 45.61, 40.24 and the last one 48.5mpg. And that a combo of maybe 30% urban with the rest all motor way/ fast a roads. And the 2 main differences over the tanks- the temperature, its got a wee bit warmer recently, and I decided to try driving keeping it in the 2-2.2K rev band with the odd bit of 3K and what a differnce it makes. 70 is 2.2k in 5th so dont get hung up about using higher gears for economy just look at mostly driving it in the rev band and at the speed limit ish and enjoy the loud pedal for over taking.

I have found the only way to get anywhere near 40mpg is to drive with the revs as low as possible, but on the next run I will take your advice for at least half an hour to see what happens ;)

Ok at the end of the month Toyota are collecting our car from our dealer to do some MPG tests, I have been told to have the tank as empty as possible to aid in their tests. I think Toyota's area service manager is going to do the same tests as was carried out on a T180 for the official MPG figures but will correct this if I am wrong ;)

Interesting. Will be good to see what toyota make of this because my mpg is terrible even after cleaning the E.G.R valve.

Hopefully, toyota will get to the bottom of this.

slower and less economical than the t sport it was supposed to superceed :rolleyes:

Here is the email from MR T

Hi Rick,

He will be bringing the next generation of the tester that we currently use, this has the ability to do mpg checks & more direct live data tests, so not taking the car back to salfords. looking to perform real scenario as opposed to lab conditions

regards

John F******

After sales manager

• 2 weeks later...

Our T180 is currently with a senior Toyota engineer who is road testing the T180 with the laptop plugged in to see what the car is doing etc, he will be also trying different diesels as well and then go over all the laptop data before doing a full written report on his findings. I cant see how they will say its normal as at the moment we are getting around 7-8mpg less than we did with the same car / same route a year ago and this is well short of what Toyota quote so hopefully we will get some answers or they will find something wrong ;)

I know some of you find this boring or think its normal but like I said we are around 7-8mpg less than we did with the same car / same route a year ago so something has to be different or causing this and I for one would like to get to the bottom of this as diesel is not cheap. What I will say is I dont expect to get the Toyota quoted figures but would expect to get within around 5mpg / 10% of the quoted figures with apart from 54.3mpg (Extra Urban) we did used to.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links