Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cabin Air Filter 1999 Rav4

trevnhil

Hi all.

I joined recently and have been reading many posts about Rav 4's. I read about the Cabin filter on the 4.2 models and hoped it would be the same on my 1999 one. Unfortunately... no such luck. I got to the back of the glove box but cannot see anything that I can remove to either replace or clean. Does anyone have any information about the filter on the model.

I have only had the car for a couple of weeks and it is 11 years old with about 95,000 miles on the clock. It has full service history, including when the previous owner bought new tyres or even Wiper Blades.

It seems to run very well but accoring to the 'advice' on the last service sheet, it needs the shaft mount and the rear diff mount renewing. The price here in Cyprus for these jobs is about UK£ 480-00.

You would be amazed at the prices of second hand vehicles here. I paid about UK£ 5,250 for the one below.

I have already added a parcel shelf to the vehicle.

2010_4_26001-1.jpg

2010_4_26004-1.jpg

2010_4_26006.jpg

Cheers. Trev..

Hi,trevnhil.

Thats a very nice set of wheels you have there and that parcel shelf is a very neat job. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had the same model as you and did not think it had a cabin filter.

Soon know though, as someone on here will have a definite answer.

All the best,and welcome.

Hi Crofter.

Thanks for the welcome and for the comments about the parcel shelf. I thought it would be good to have one (removable) as it serves two purpose. It keeps the stuff in the back both private and cooler, which is a big consideration out here. I made it out of 3/8 plywood and my wife covered it with material. The leading edge has a piece of pipe lagging to cover it.

Re the cabin air / pollen filter.... maybe you are correct. But when I switch on the air conditioning there is quite a musty smell comes through with the cold air. I was hoping to cure this.

Any more comments would be welcome.

Cheers. Trev..

I don't think there is a cabin filter either. Here you can see the US guys have cobbled one up but in any case there is an opening to treat the AC to stop it smelling. Kits are available from most good accessory shops.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20761&highlight=cabin+filter

Hi Anchorman.

Many thanks for your reply that there seems to be no filter on the 1999 model. The link was very helpful and I think that I could well have a go at doing a similar job. Accessory shops out here are a bit spartan, but I have paid to have the air con treated without any success. At the very least I will try a light spray of Febreeze, and see what I can smell with the air con switched on. Here in Cyprus the outside air is quite often laden with a very fine dust. It supposedly gets blown here from the Sahara desert. So any kind of filter would be very good.

Thanks again. Trev..

We also have a fine dust descending upon us but from an area on the opposite end of the thermal scale!!

Still look on the bright side, the car wash business is having a great time.

We also have a fine dust descending upon us but from an area on the opposite end of the thermal scale!!

Still look on the bright side, the car wash business is having a great time.

Ha ha. Well at least the UK is having some good fine weather at the moment and the Iceland ash seems to be keeping away for now.

The link in Anchorman's post was good and it also contained another link.. http://RAV4World.com/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=8870

This has some good ideas in it, if you have the time and the money.

Regards. Trev..

I've got a Haynes manual and it only mentions a cabin filter from 2001. My parents are on holiday in Cyprus at the moment and I suppose I'll have to tell them the weather has been stunning for several days when they next ring.

I've got a Haynes manual and it only mentions a cabin filter from 2001. My parents are on holiday in Cyprus at the moment and I suppose I'll have to tell them the weather has been stunning for several days when they next ring.

Thanks for the added info Pmb. I m going to make a DIY filter as is shown in this link from 'anchorman'.. http://rav4world.com...ht=cabin+filter

I have sent off for my Haynes manual which may well take a week or so to get here.

Re the weather here. It poured down this morning but sunny spells the rest of the day. Forecast is Sunshine with few clouds till Thursday at 30c.

Regards. Trev

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links