Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Racing Rav

tobyjug

I've bought my first Toyota (2001 petrol GX) after a succession of old and fairly knackered landrovers (sledge hammer and big spanners going on eBay shortly!) What a difference!! I'm praying for rain just so I can go out for a drive without a mac on. Just one problem I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on. Engine ticks over when warm at about 1300 rpm and gradually increases after a few minutes to about 17-1800. Many thanks.

(I am now going for a lie down in a darkened room having seen servicing and parts prices)

Hello Toby, and, as frosty says,welcome

Can`t help with the revs whatsit but as for parts you will find you need very few of those once you have done all the bits you feel need attention.

You will find your self with more time on your hands after the L.R., still, more time for posting :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

All the best with your new wheels.

Hello Toby, and, as frosty says,welcome

Can`t help with the revs whatsit but as for parts you will find you need very few of those once you have done all the bits you feel need attention.

You will find your self with more time on your hands after the L.R., still, more time for posting :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

All the best with your new wheels.

welcome TJ :thumbsup:

As for your high tickover issue, realistically a petrol engine should have higher revs (possibly around 1500rpm) when cold, but once warm the revs should drop. 4 cylinder engines normally tickover around 850rpm or thereabouts so something is amiss.

There can be a few reasons,

Vacuum pipes leaking,

EGR problem

Idle speed regulator problem

Inlet leak

Throttle assembly problem

ECU problem or incorrect input data from a sensor.

Difficult to diagnose off the internet, but obviously check the vacuum/inlet leaks first (you can normally hear a hissing sound if there is a break)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links