Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Power Steering Problem! Help!

Yaris489

:help: Okay, heres the deal. ive got a Yaris 02 GLS 1.0 litre my first car, and i LOVE IT!!

But... the other day my mum had to take it out as her car was in for a service, on her return she noticed the steering felt 'heavy' she has driven it previously and hadnt noticed anything strange.

So i went out in it, and previsously i had noticed something strange with the steering but not anything to serious,

on my return i noticed my wheel wasnt returning to the centre properly and i would often have to manually turn the wheel back round to its starting position- not what power steering is supposed to do!

I know that its electric so there is no fluid, and in the manual it tells you to check the Battery indicator which should be green if its in good condition, my Battery seems to have three dots 'green' 'dark' and 'white' are these the indicators, or is there an actual light?

So... my dad called the guy that sorts his toyota out and he said he had never heard of such an issue with the power steering, and said it could be due to the tracking being out or something.

Anyway so its going in on Wednesday, but just wanted peoples ideas/thoughts or has anyone had this problem before

Many thanks (newbie to toyota club)

Amy. :rolleyes:

I've been having same prob with my steering.

I own a yaris 2007 1.3 petrol model. I took it to the garage and that chap who tested my car were not convinced there was anything wrong with the steering although he had to return it back to the centre himself.

They had a look at it anyway. Plugged it with the computer and told me no fault was found. I got charged 85 pounds and I still have same prob with the steering being unusually heavy and the need for concious movements to make the steering wheel get back to the centre.

Would be good if any changes happen after your trip to the garage

I know it sounds like a really daft question, but have you checked the front tyre pressures? I have known so many people to drive round with hardly any air in their tyres but yet they blame the car!

Tracking and alignment is a possible but if it drove fine one day then has it's problem the next day, that seems abnormal to me for the tracking to just go out, unless your mum smacked it in a kerb or hit a huge pothole and not told you!!

Oh and welcome to the world of Yaris and good luck with the repairs, hopefully it will be something small and not cost much! :thumbsup

EDIT...Just did a forum search and found this article, have a read!

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73453&st=0

:help: Okay, heres the deal. ive got a Yaris 02 GLS 1.0 litre my first car, and i LOVE IT!!

But... the other day my mum had to take it out as her car was in for a service, on her return she noticed the steering felt 'heavy' she has driven it previously and hadnt noticed anything strange.

So i went out in it, and previsously i had noticed something strange with the steering but not anything to serious,

on my return i noticed my wheel wasnt returning to the centre properly and i would often have to manually turn the wheel back round to its starting position- not what power steering is supposed to do!

I know that its electric so there is no fluid, and in the manual it tells you to check the battery indicator which should be green if its in good condition, my battery seems to have three dots 'green' 'dark' and 'white' are these the indicators, or is there an actual light?

So... my dad called the guy that sorts his toyota out and he said he had never heard of such an issue with the power steering, and said it could be due to the tracking being out or something.

Anyway so its going in on Wednesday, but just wanted peoples ideas/thoughts or has anyone had this problem before

Many thanks (newbie to toyota club)

Amy. :rolleyes:

Firstly - your "01" Yaris steering is hydraulic. They went electric in 2005 with the new model, but the Mk1 Yaris steering was hydraulic - so it is worth checking the fluid level - although they should have done that at the service anyway.

Next - It could be a fault with the steering rack, but as posted above, its more likely to be an issue with the tyre pressures or wheel alignment.

If they've swapped the wheels around during the service, the tyres won't be "bedded into the road" as they were before and that may even affect the steering feel.

First thing to check are the tyre pressures anyway - that's an easy check...

Also - if this issue was "just after the service", it can take a little while (and a few good "road bumps") to get the car to settle back onto its suspension after it was raised up on the ramp. Until its settled down back to its previous suspension level after a few miles, the suspension will have a slightly different alignment that does affect the steering feel.

The Battery indicator is a little black "hole" (a circle of clear plastic) in the top of the Battery near the three dots. The three dots are just a label...

Firstly - your "01" Yaris steering is hydraulic. They went electric in 2005 with the new model, but the Mk1 Yaris steering was hydraulic - so it is worth checking the fluid level

Little bit mis-leading, this answer....

Some are hydraulic, some are indeed, electric!

I have an 02 !.13 Jap built cdx, (Hydraulic) And had an 02 French 1L gls (Electric) so thay most CERTAINLY do have electric!

I beg your pardon and stand corrected. I thought all Mk1s were hydraulic...

Oh well, you learn something new every day....

Perhaps the batteries in the steering rack need replacing...

Might be an idea to make sure that it is electric and not hydraulic ;)

• 3 years later...

Ive had the same thing, with not self centering, its been back to toyota and they have diagnosed that the steering motor is faulty. by the way mines a 53 plate 1.3 and has the electric steering assist.

they have quoted over £1500 to do the job ! so im living with it at the moment, but looking to find a replacement motor and swap the motor out my self.

Ive had the same thing, with not self centering, its been back to toyota and they have diagnosed that the steering motor is faulty. by the way mines a 53 plate 1.3 and has the electric steering assist.

they have quoted over £1500 to do the job ! so im living with it at the moment, but looking to find a replacement motor and swap the motor out my self.

Another alternative is to contact BBA Reman at Rochester in Kent. They rebuild units such as this.

Regards Geoff Peace.

• 5 years later...

I have just purchased a 04 plate1.3 with the same problem. Was just wondering if anyone has changed the motor and did it cure said problem

• 2 weeks later...

my 09 1.3 just developed this problem. It's got an electric power steering motor and i can't find the damn thing to buy online. Anyone any suggestions?