Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Advice On A '99 Low Mileage

salthepal

A very experienced mechanic has offered to do a service on my Rav 4.1 baby which has done less than 33K miles. It had a fairly thorough service a couple of years ago when grease was applied to all the "relevant bits".

Question is, do I need to buy

Oil filter

Spark plugs

fuel filter

air filter

brake fluid

transmission oil

and should I get proper Toyota bits? I already have some good quality semi-synthetic oil.

I do only about 4K miles per year and I have no intention of replacing this wonderful car in the near future.

Is there anything else I should consider asking him to do? The belt was changed about 3 years ago because of a water pump problem (this has been the only thing that has gone wrong!).

Thanks very much.

Sally

If the fuel filter was done 2 years ago then leave it. If the spark plugs were done 2 years ago - same if you have only done 8-10k. Ask the mechanic to check the air filter as it may still be like new but all the rest should be done.

A very experienced mechanic has offered to do a service on my Rav 4.1 baby which has done less than 33K miles. It had a fairly thorough service a couple of years ago when grease was applied to all the "relevant bits".

Question is, do I need to buy

Oil filter

Spark plugs

fuel filter

air filter

brake fluid

transmission oil

and should I get proper Toyota bits? I already have some good quality semi-synthetic oil.

I do only about 4K miles per year and I have no intention of replacing this wonderful car in the near future.

Is there anything else I should consider asking him to do? The belt was changed about 3 years ago because of a water pump problem (this has been the only thing that has gone wrong!).

Thanks very much.

Sally

as ancs says.

Brake fluid attracts water/moisture and so loses its qualities over a period of time...mileage has not a lot to do with it ... more time.

Similarly, the oil will get mixed with moisture in the air so change oil and filter. transmission oil - change as a precaution - like you wouldn't brush yer teeth once a year whether you needed to or not style.

Just use any good quality stuff that matches the spec of the Toyota stuff.

Funnily enough, I was looking at the state of a tyre on a 9 year old low mileage Ford transit - the tread was still ok but the tyre showed signs of the rubber perishing so just got it changed yesterday!

Just use any good quality stuff that matches the spec of the Toyota stuff.

What is quality stuff - surely not Halfords?

The manufacturer isn't that important. Your semi-synthetic oil should be 5W/30 or 10W/40 or very similar. What is it?

The manufacturer isn't that important. Your semi-synthetic oil should be 5W/30 or 10W/40 or very similar. What is it?

The oil is Castol Magnatec 10W/40.

Is there an eBay seller that does quality parts?

Thanks.

Either go to a local motor factor or pm Kingo. He will send all the stuff to your house.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links