Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stupid Heatshield...

-T- Sport

Right, so many people have complained that the Heat Shield to the rear is annoying as hell, as it rattles...

I decided to try and take it off earlier, though figured out why it probably rattles so much... the first bolt was a pain to get off, as it was so tight... the 2nd has no completely rounded off as it justclearly doesn't wanna budge..

So I didn't even attempt the other 2 bolts further back... anybody had the same problem with these bolts being too tight? and it there any easier way than stuffing your arm down the back to get at 'em?

Cheers

where is this heat shiled situated ? i can hear something rattle when i turn corners.

Not hard to miss, right behind the engine! :P Look behind it and you'll see it without fail.

Most peoples tend to do it while at low RPM's.

while I don't recommend this as you might be taking a trip to the local burns unit, here's what I would do.

Go cane the car for about 30 mins, come back, then try to take the nuts off. the bolts should be "easier" to get off but wear some nomex or heat resistant gear.

I just ripped my heat shield off and used a hacksaw to get the bolt studs off. Then I heat-wrapped it but have decided to go for a Zircotec paint to keep it looking nice and to stop me from choking on the fibre-glass. ;)

where is this heat shiled situated ? i can hear something rattle when i turn corners.

When I had my TSport on more than one occasion a small stone used to lodge on the shield midway toward the rear... used to "buzz" at certain speeds... subtle but really annoying. I found a hose and jet of water best at dislodging and removing debris, as you couldn't always see anything.

Kearon let me know if you get this done, I need to sort my one out at some point as well the low rev rattle does my head in when im driving over our work speed bumps.

Also there's three separate heat-shields right? There's the main one over the header, a lower one and a upper one further down. Its one of them that makes that noise.

I think it's the top one that makes the noise.

When I turned the engine or, and pressed down slightly on the shield it made the noise that annoys me. Still need to get that second bolt out, though taking one bolt out so far has drasticly reduced the noise...

Ahh good stuff, Can you do a diy if possible if you get the second bolt out?

I was going to just take the heat shield off but i have heard it could melt the shift cables if done and the car is driven for a long time.

I do want to get rid of that annoying sound though drives me nuts.

:thumbsup:

Quote farhanali89 "I was going to just take the heat shield off but i have heard it could melt the shift cables if done and the car is driven for a long time"

The reason the car has heat shields where they are then wouldn't you say, so why remove them obviously they are there for a reason.

Quote farhanali89 "I was going to just take the heat shield off but i have heard it could melt the shift cables if done and the car is driven for a long time"

The reason the car has heat shields where they are then wouldn't you say, so why remove them obviously they are there for a reason.

That was the point, Many aftermarket manifolds do not use the heatshield though thats whats odd? They are not coated or anything either

PPE, TRD, Weapon R, DC

• Like 1