M4cc45

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Toyota Model: Toyota Avensis D4D TSpirit

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

Hi,

Cutting a long story short I had a few people look at a car I'm selling a day or so ago where by they pointed out a water leak on the car. Funnily enough it never had problems before then so I'm thinking that when I was speaking to one of the guys the other guy loosened something in the engine bay.

Does anyone have any idea where to start looking? If I had to guess I would say it was on the front-right of the engine (facing the wind-screen). The car is a 2004 TSpirit 2.0 D4D.

Cheers,

M.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Fitter

Fitter

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: 2007 Avensis 2.0L VVT Auto

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

Hi,

Cutting a long story short I had a few people look at a car I'm selling a day or so ago where by they pointed out a water leak on the car. Funnily enough it never had problems before then so I'm thinking that when I was speaking to one of the guys the other guy loosened something in the engine bay.

Does anyone have any idea where to start looking? If I had to guess I would say it was on the front-right of the engine (facing the wind-screen). The car is a 2004 TSpirit 2.0 D4D.

Cheers,

M.

If the leak is on the nearside that eliminates the screenwasher bottle and AC drain hole. It is more likely to be a coolant leak from the radiator or hoses. The Low Pressure AC pipe is also on that side. Check coolant level in the header tank, remove top engine covers to have a look at the radiator and hoses.

Fitter

#3 M4cc45

M4cc45

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

Hi,

I checked again this morning and couldn't see any leaking so it seems to me that someone may have poured some water down there when they were checking the engine in the hope that I'd nigh on give away the car. I'll double check today when I get home the bits you've mentioned and lay down some paper or something to see if it really is leaking.

It was definitely water that was on the floor and not coolant so I guess that rules out the coolant so I guess it's just the radiator I need to check - if this was the case would the engine heat level indicator be high?

Thanks very much for the pointers.

M

#4 t-spiritpete

t-spiritpete

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 2.2 d4d t-spirit and Yaris 1.3SR Nav

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

I checked again this morning and couldn't see any leaking so it seems to me that someone may have poured some water down there when they were checking the engine in the hope that I'd nigh on give away the car. I'll double check today when I get home the bits you've mentioned and lay down some paper or something to see if it really is leaking.

It was definitely water that was on the floor and not coolant so I guess that rules out the coolant so I guess it's just the radiator I need to check - if this was the case would the engine heat level indicator be high?

Thanks very much for the pointers.

M

Hi mate,
probably condensation fron the aircon unit which is quite normal.

Regards, Pete.

#5 Parts-King

Parts-King

AUTHORISED TOC TRADER

• Authorised Trader
  • 10,172 posts
  • First Name:Kingo
  • Toyota Model: Auris 1.6 Valvematic Sport 5 Dr
  • Year: 2013

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

As above, we get half a dozen people a week come in and say the same thing, it is usually condensation off the A/C pipes, the pipes ice up when the A/C is on, but when you stop, the ice melts and you get clear water drip off under the car, quite normal

Kingo :thumbsup:

#6 M4cc45

M4cc45

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

I think I'll knock the air-con off and take it for a whizz around the area and see what happens! I'll report back!

Thanks for the help so far guys!

M.

#7 M4cc45

M4cc45

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

Took it out for a whizz around and it was fine - no warning lights, no leaking that I could see (checked when I parked in Halfords to get some new fuses) and home without any drama so I guess it was condensation - I hadn't drove it for a week so I guess the condensation theory is more likely.

Anyway thanks again guys!

M.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users